eShop Purchases No Longer Locked to Console on Switch

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
eShop Purchases No Longer Locked to Console on Switch

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1383/1383285.jpg
eShop purchases made on the Nintendo Switch will be tied to your Nintendo Account, not the console you bought them on.

One of the most frustrating parts of Nintendo's digital storefront, the eShop, is that unlike competitors Sony and Microsoft, purchases made on a specific console are forever locked to that console. That means if your console dies, or you want to download a game on a friend's console, you're out of luck. Thankfully, it looks like Nintendo has finally reversed this policy with the Nintendo Switch, as the lucky fan who received his Switch two weeks early has revealed that eShop purchases on the Switch are tied to your Nintendo Account.

YouTuber this little gem [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqVa1MB90PU] in an F.A.Q for the eShop. It states:

"Your Nintendo Account contains your Nintendo eShop purchase history and current balance. By re-linking your Nintendo Account after initializing the console, it will be possible to redownload any software or DLC purchased using that account. (Software that has been discontinued may not be available to redownload in some cases.)"

Welcome to 2005, Nintendo! Try not to innovate too much.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/BjoernTheSmexy/status/832419152740626433]

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
Well that's actually a positive development. Good on you, Nintendo.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
Welcome to the modern era of gaming,Nintendo. Now all you need to do is make your online services more user-friendly (Like being able to directly interact with friends on a whim),and enable mod support for appropriate titles.

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
Nintendo finally learning how to be modern for once.

Still doesn't make me more likely to buy a Switch, though.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
On one hand, kudos for finally fixing that.

On the other hand, this should have been fixes generations ago. Can you really give an Atta Boy to someone for finally cleaning up their own mess?

I'm not a Nintendo guy so I suppose it never affected me but it's baffling to me that the fan base just accepted those limitations.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Now for the hard hitting questions. Will this work with virtual shop games, and does that mean my purchases on my 3DS from the virtual shop will carry over? This is something that if Nintendo can even do that, just something as simple as let that carry over, they've won my heart. Seriously, it'd be nice to not have to buy Earthbound again, and hell, it'd be cool as well if gameboy games will work as well, meaning a main line Pokemon game on my TV, without having to use some weird work around.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
I should applaud them but then again this has been standard for over a decade now...

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
I'll take features they should have had 2 console generations ago for 800

ok, now my next question, am I going to have to rebuy my virtual console games?

CaptainBill22

Nov 18, 2009
Whoa, whoa, whoa Nintendo. You're modernizing too fast, we wouldn't want you to do something foolish like expanding your e-store or making a new Metroid game (No I don't count Federation Force).

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
First of all, your content right now is tied to your Nintendo Account, it's also tied to the console. This is true for Sony and Microsoft too or atleast it was last gen. With Sony you could have 2 PS3's activated and your games could be downloaded on those two PS3's. So tied both to the console(s) and the PSN account. With the 360 you could download your games to any 360 but only the first one could play the games while offline so again, tied to a console and an account.

This looks like nothing has changed with Nintendo, let's break this down.

"Your Nintendo Account contains your Nintendo eShop purchase history and current balance.
This has been the case for years.

By re-linking your Nintendo Account after initializing the console, it will be possible to redownload any software or DLC purchased using that account. (Software that has been discontinued may not be available to redownload in some cases.)"
Re-linking? That's an interesting way to put it because re-linking is to link something to the same device again not to link to a new devices (that would be called linking, not re-linking). It sounds like you can reformat a console, log in and re-download your games. It doesn't sound like you can buy a new console and download your games on it.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
WeepingAngels said:
First of all, your content right now is tied to your Nintendo Account
But it doesn't automatically transfer between systems. You have to use an SD Card if you want to transfer games. That's what this development is about.

OT: EVERYBODY RUN!!! NINTENDO HAS FIGURED OUT THE INTERNET!!!

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Rangaman said:
WeepingAngels said:
But it doesn't automatically transfer between systems. You have to use an SD Card if you want to transfer games. That's what this development is about.
It doesn't say you can download your games on a new console. Here is what it says:

By re-linking your Nintendo Account after initializing the console, it will be possible to redownload any software or DLC purchased using that account.
Re-link after initializing sounds like re-downloading your Steam games after a reformat and reinstall of Windows, has nothing to do with new hardware. As I said, games on all platforms are tied to hardware and no doubt they still are with Nintendo too.

Maybe Nintendo can clarify, they seem to be terrible at communicating simple things.

Michael Legault

Feb 27, 2013
I'd just like to say that my son has bricked his 2ds before and when we called nintendo up and asked about our downloads they helped us move them to the new console. Having one die is not necessarily the loss of your gsmes.

Rangaman

Feb 28, 2016
WeepingAngels said:
Rangaman said:
WeepingAngels said:
It doesn't say you can download your games on a new console. Here is what it says:

By re-linking your Nintendo Account after initializing the console, it will be possible to redownload any software or DLC purchased using that account.
Re-link after initializing sounds like re-downloading your Steam games after a reformat and reinstall of Windows, has nothing to do with new hardware. As I said, games on all platforms are tied to hardware and no doubt they still are with Nintendo too.

Maybe Nintendo can clarify, they seem to be terrible at communicating simple things.
That's probably just poor wording. Although that's still a step in the right direction even if it isn't (this comes from someone whose Ambassador Program 3DS was stolen).

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Rangaman said:
WeepingAngels said:
Rangaman said:
WeepingAngels said:

That's probably just poor wording. Although that's still a step in the right direction even if it isn't (this comes from someone whose Ambassador Program 3DS was stolen).
I don't think I will celebrate until Nintendo confirms that games can be downloaded on multiple Switch consoles and honestly, that's way out of character for Nintendo.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Michael Legault said:
I'd just like to say that my son has bricked his 2ds before and when we called nintendo up and asked about our downloads they helped us move them to the new console. Having one die is not necessarily the loss of your gsmes.
Them giving you the games you paid for is expected, it is the bare minimum of customer service but there is always a chance they could say no. They also make it harder than it should be.

Here's my story, I once had the disc drive on my Gamecube stop working so I went to Gamestop and bought a used one for $30 and got right back to playing, even my save file was readily available. I guess I could have called Nintendo just to chat but it wasn't necessary.