A Cure for Wellness - Shuttered Island

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
A Cure for Wellness - Shuttered Island

A Cure for Wellness is an ambitious film. It fails, but at least it tried.

Read Full Article

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Seen Shutter Island. I'm good for now.

I will likely want to check it out as a rental. Hope Netflix or Amazon stream it soon.

Dane Dehaan has always been good, even in bad movies so I would like to check it out.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Gorfias said:
Dane Dehaan has always been good, even in bad movies so I would like to check it out.
*cough*AmazingSpiderMan2*cough*

:)

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Marter said:
Gorfias said:
*cough*AmazingSpiderMan2*cough*

:)
Hey, he worked the living heck out of what he'd been given!

I fear his latest sci-fi outing isn't too good either. Should look great on my home TV though.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Gore Verbinski's best film is, and will always be, Mouse Hunt.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
The only reason you won't is because of how stupid the mystery sounds when said out loud - you might think that the movie simply won't go there.
Oh do tell what the ending is. Behind spoiler tags of course, for the people who might want to see it. But I won't.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Cowabungaa said:
Oh do tell what the ending is. Behind spoiler tags of course, for the people who might want to see it. But I won't.
The center isn't actually curing anyone - it's sucking out their life force and allowing the Jason Isaacs character to live a substantially longer time than humans are supposed to. Why does he want to live that long? He's a 200-year-old baron (previously referenced in the film as having been burned killed for "experiments") obsessed with purity of the bloodline. He had a daughter, the Mia Goth character (this is supposed to be a surprise; she's just a "special patient" before this), whom he wants to impregnate to keep the bloodine pure, but since both of them are taking this life-extender, she's just now getting to childbearing age.

In short: 200-year-old man has been living off a magical elixir generated by sucking the life of his patients, all to impregnate his now-teenage daughter to continue the bloodline in a "pure" way.

The "center is actually killing them part" should be obvious before even seeing the movie. It's the rest of it that you have to watch to find out - but even still, it's hinted at enough that it shouldn't be too much of a surprise - beyond, y'know, that the movie actually decided to go there.

TheRundownRabbit

Wicked Prolapse
Aug 27, 2009
Marter said:
Cowabungaa said:
The center isn't actually curing anyone - it's sucking out their life force and allowing the Jason Isaacs character to live a substantially longer time than humans are supposed to. Why does he want to live that long? He's a 200-year-old baron (previously referenced in the film as having been burned killed for "experiments") obsessed with purity of the bloodline. He had a daughter, the Mia Goth character (this is supposed to be a surprise; she's just a "special patient" before this), whom he wants to impregnate to keep the bloodine pure, but since both of them are taking this life-extender, she's just now getting to childbearing age.

In short: 200-year-old man has been living off a magical elixir generated by sucking the life of his patients, all to impregnate his now-teenage daughter to continue the bloodline in a "pure" way.

The "center is actually killing them part" should be obvious before even seeing the movie. It's the rest of it that you have to watch to find out - but even still, it's hinted at enough that it shouldn't be too much of a surprise - beyond, y'know, that the movie actually decided to go there.
WOW, that's were this goes? Im glad I didn't see it. It honestly seems like a movie I would've enjoyed. I can't name any movies off the top of my head, but there have been films I've been really into up until the third act where something super contrived or dumb just comes out of left field and I'm left all "Really, thats what this was about!?"