There's a New Overwatch Hero Coming, but it Might Not Be Doomfist

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
There's a New Overwatch Hero Coming, but it Might Not Be Doomfist

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1383/1383555.jpgBlizzard is looking to add a 24th hero to Overwatch, but it may not be the one you think.

There has been a fair bit of talk about who the next hero added to Overwatch will be. The most noise has come from players who are looking for Doomfist, hopefully with Terry Crews providing the voice work [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169186-Overwatch-Doomfist-Could-be-Terry-Crews]. But Blizzard's Jeff Kaplan indicated over the weekend that the next hero might surprise players.

In a post on the game's official forums, Kaplan wrote [https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753148967?page=2#post-26] of the next hero, "24 is not who you think it is." The Overwatch game director reiterated what he's said before: the team has multiple heroes in the works at any given time, and that they choose what to introduce that they think the game needs. He added that, "Right now, we feel like introducing a new hero to the line up would be more impactful to the game."

Kaplan also answered [https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753148967#post-2] a question about why some heroes don't have a full slate of emotes at release. "New heroes will most likely not have sit and laugh emotes for some period of time after their release. We'd rather not hold new hero releases for these emotes. But we do plan to add them over time."

Honestly, I won't be surprised at all when Blizzard releases a new hero that isn't Doomfist. After all, we all thought that Sombra was coming to the game, and we ended up with Ana. It was another six months before we saw Sombra make her way into the game. Will that be the case for Doomfist as well, and will Terry Crews actually get to do the voice work? We'll just have to wait and see.

[gallery=6948]

Proto Taco

Apr 30, 2013
I suspect they'll add Tracer's girlfriend Emily in there as a heroine at some point. That or maybe the kid who grabbed Doomfist's glove in the release short. However it pans out, +1 to the fun'O'meter.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
I saw on the Blizzard forums that a Greek actor added a voice credit for Overwatch on his personal page, and that he was working with Lucio's voice actor on a project. But then he denied [https://www.pcgamesn.com/overwatch/overwatch-greek-hero] that he was voicing a new hero.

The rumor mill is swirling now. He might be the Soundquake guy mentioned in the cinematic trailer.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
As long as we don't need to go through another Sombra-esque ARG to get it. :(

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
Perfect time to add a new hero, when the balance of the game is at its most borked and least fun.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:
Perfect time to add a new hero, when the balance of the game is at its most borked and least fun.
You mean you don't like the idea of a nigh immortal Bastion running around with his built-in damage reduction being cranked up to practically invincible levels when Ana ults him? :^)

American Tanker

Feb 25, 2015
RJ 17 said:
You mean you don't like the idea of a nigh immortal Bastion running around with his built-in damage reduction being cranked up to practically invincible levels when Ana ults him? :^)
The more I see you guys talk about this, the more I think Ana was a bad idea...

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Hawki said:
As long as we don't need to go through another Sombra-esque ARG to get it. :(
They distinctly said they aren't going to be dropping many hints like that any more.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
American Tanker said:
RJ 17 said:
Ana WAS a bad idea. The vast majority of the balance problems in the game came from her burst healing being too good, and her ult making it easy for single characters to wipe entire teams.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:
American Tanker said:
RJ 17 said:
Ana WAS a bad idea. The vast majority of the balance problems in the game came from her burst healing being too good, and her ult making it easy for single characters to wipe entire teams.
Seriously, I still remember seeing a clip when she first came out of her dropping an ult on Reaper on the Hollywood map as they were defending the first capture point. She ults Reaper, Reaper uses his ult, and flies down the street as an unstoppable whirlwind of death, completely wiping the enemy time in a matter of seconds.

Right then and there I said to myself: "Yeah...I can already see issues with this character..."

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
RJ 17 said:
Dirty Hipsters said:
American Tanker said:
RJ 17 said:
Seriously, I still remember seeing a clip when she first came out of her dropping an ult on Reaper on the Hollywood map as they were defending the first capture point. She ults Reaper, Reaper uses his ult, and flies down the street as an unstoppable whirlwind of death, completely wiping the enemy time in a matter of seconds.

Right then and there I said to myself: "Yeah...I can already see issues with this character..."
"B-but we removed the speed steroid on Ana's ultimate!" ~ Blizzard