Hellboy 3 is Dead, Director Confirms

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Hellboy 3 is Dead, Director Confirms

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/766/766916.jpg
Director Guillermo del Toro has sadly confirmed that there's absolutely no chance of Hellboy 3 happening.

Hellboy 3, the long-rumored, long-awaited sequel to 2008's Hellboy 2, is officially dead. Director Guillermo del Toro Tweeted [https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/834057572550324227?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw] out the news today, stating that despite his best efforts, the was absolutely no chance of the movie happening.

Back in January this year, he promised to have a sitdown [https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/821812881893244929] with Perlman and Hellboy creator Mike Mignola to discuss the movie. It appears as if that didn't go quite as planned.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/834057572550324227]

Based on del Toro's Tweet, it looks like he has spoken to everyone who could be involved in the film, including executives at Universal Pictures and pivotal actors, such as Ron Perlman.

This isn't the first time a del Toro movie has been in danger of never being made, with the fate of the Pacific Rim sequel being up in the air for years before being officially confirmed last year [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165826-Pacific-Rim-2-Alive-And-Well-Says-del-Toro]. But this is one of the first times the director has actually admitted defeat, so baring some kind of miracle we can assume that Hellboy's story is over.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/834057572550324227?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw]

Oct 22, 2011
Dissapointed, but not surprised by these news. It's been almost ten years since Golden Army, i felt that with Perlman not growing younger and Del Toro being involved with different projects it's not gonna happen.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
In order for me to want to see Hellboy III in a movie theater it would've had to happen before Deadpool. Still kind of sad it will never happen.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Even with CG, it's difficult to be an action star in your mid-sixties.

I'm sorry to hear it; I enjoyed the Hellboy movies, in part because they weren't conventional blockbusters. But I suspect that was also their downfall. Hope that everyone involved goes on to better things.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Are people surprised by this? It's been years since the last movie. It's not even close to being on the minds of the general consumer.

Newsflash: Half Life 3 isn't going to happen, either.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
On one hand it's a shame, but Golden Army was just too damn indulgently Del Toro for its own good (gorgeously crafted, sure, and Nuada/Nuala were excellent), so I wouldn't really want to see that creative direction continue.

Then again perhaps a third film could've reduced the budget, and therefore focused things up a bit with the production and story/characters.

Saltyk said:
Are people surprised by this? It's been years since the last movie. It's not even close to being on the minds of the general consumer.
Given the incredibly fertile and increasingly diverse superhero/comics culture climate we now live in (it's never been better, at least on the screens both big and small), a new Hellboy would've surely been an easy film to greenlight and find an audience (certainly if it was budgeted smartly).

Very mundane reasons seem to be the reason this particular story will never continue.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Well fuck. :/

I do remember a long time ago Del Toro mentioned that the third movie was going to be huge and super expensive.

I was really hoping that this would happen, but I guess not.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
Well that's a shame even if I found the 2nd film to be not as good. I still wanted to see Ron Perlman back as Hellboy but guess that ain't gonna happen now.

I do hope Hellboy will at least come back in a different medium like a TV series or an actual decent game.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
BUT THE TWINS!

AND THE END OF THE WORLD!

AND LIZ'S AND EVERYONE'S CHOICE!

AND FUUUUUUCK!!!

I loved those freaking movies, they made me a Mignola/Del Toro/Pearlman fan as a kid and got me into the original comics. Very sad , yet unsurprising, news.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Darth Rosenberg said:
Given the incredibly fertile and increasingly diverse superhero/comics culture climate we now live in (it's never been better, at least on the screens both big and small), a new Hellboy would've surely been an easy film to greenlight and find an audience (certainly if it was budgeted smartly).

Very mundane reasons seem to be the reason this particular story will never continue.
Well I think it's kind of the opposite, the big budget epic market is more or less saturated right now, with precisely 100 bazillion different cinematic universes releasing films every couple of months, many studios will probably start drawing back from that stuff now and consider what they're up against. Do you want Hellboy 3 to go up against Logan, Guardians of the Galaxy, Wonder Woman, Justice League, or Star Wars? Obviously Hellboy 3 wouldn't be coming out this year, but the point stands for upcoming years.

One of the reasons why this decision might be coming down "for sure absolutely" now is because they were looking to see how the RE and Underwold movies did. Hellboy isn't really like those movies, but kinda feels like a lot of the same people would enjoy them, mostly fans of the original movies, which are all rather... antiquated now.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
That sucks, Hellboy 1 was only...average at best.

Hellboy 2 though was awesome! I loved it! It seemed to find a particular cheesy tone (which I liked) and combined it was awesome action scenes! Like a fantasy classic Bond movie. I was hoping there would be an end to the story (what with Hellboy being prophesized to bring doom to the world). Del Toro makes some awesome films, what's he going to do now?

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Well, that is unfortunate, but at least the second one ended on a pretty good note.

It didn't leave us with a near the end death of a major character, and tons of sequel baiting with introducing new plot devices.

Freaking Valve >_<

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
Nothing is dead as long as there are things like Kickstarter. Someone needs to pitch that idea to Guillermo.
Hellboy had a budget of $66 million, the sequel had a budget of $85 million, and del Toro wanted the third film to be even bigger. As far as I can tell, the biggest ever crowdfunded film raised a total of less than $4.5 million, and only three Kickstarter film projects have ever managed to raise more than $1 million. Kickstarter is great for small indie projects, but it's not the place to go when you want to make big-budget blockbusters costing tens or hundreds of millions. I have no doubt del Toro could raise enough money to make something, but since it could never be what he actually wants to make, why would he bother?

And of course, that assumes that money is the only problem in the first place. Given that the people he's been talking with include the creator and lead actor, it's entirely possible that the others involved simply aren't interested in making more films, or at least not the one del Toro wants to make.