Nintendo Switch Won't Have Virtual Console at Launch

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Nintendo Switch Won't Have Virtual Console at Launch

The Nintendo Switch is set to arrive next Friday, and we're still learning new things about the upcoming console.

In a press release today, Nintendo revealed that the company's upcoming new console, the Switch, will not include a Virtual Console when it releases on March 3. No date was provided for when it can be expected.

"Virtual Console games will not be available on Nintendo Switch at launch," the statement reads. "We will share more information in the future."

The press release also states that a system update will be necessary on launch day in order to access Nintendo's eShop. The update "downloads in the background, is designed to install quickly and doesn't disrupt gameplay."

Other information provided includes a "news feature," which will update players about "the latest additions to Nintendo eShop, as well as providing information about upcoming games and other updates from Nintendo."

Nintendo also confirmed that anyone with funds in their accounts on other devices can access those funds via a shared wallet.

"People who already have funds in their accounts on other Nintendo devices can access them using a shared wallet that works on Nintendo Switch as well," Nintendo said. "Once they link their Nintendo Network ID and Nintendo Account and then their Nintendo Account to their Nintendo Switch system, this functionality becomes possible."

[gallery=6971]

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Ok, I'm curious since I haven't been keeping up with it all that much.

What CAN the Switch do out of the box?

Veldel

Mitth'raw'nuruodo
Legacy
Apr 28, 2010
Lost in my mind
Country
US
Chimpzy said:

Why it can make a click sound. Who wouldnt want a 300$ clicker?

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Chimpzy said:

This is my question. At this point I think it would be simpler for Ninty to just put out a bulleted list of features that are available.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
So, I take it that we won't be playing any classic NES or SNES games out of the box. Which makes that whole benefit of paying for online even less appealing (quite an accomplishment really). And considering the system looks to have one worthwhile launch title (which may be better than other consoles to be fair) I can't really see me buying this thing.

Then again the last Nintendo console I owned was a NES and I could never rationalize buying a whole console for Zelda and maybe Star Fox (mostly the N64). So I guess the Big N really doesn't care about me that much.

Weresquirrel

Aug 13, 2008
Now now, let's be fair here. They can't give the Switch too many selling points out of the box. Why, if it had an extensive library of tried and tested games available from the get go then people might actually want to buy the thing. And if people wanted to buy it, then they'd have to massively under-produce even more than usual to ensure demand isn't met. How else are they going to make sure that at least some people will be disappointed on release day?

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Nintendo is Nintendo's worst enemy at this point.

For DECADES (basically, since the N64) I've heard people declare that Nintendo should abandon the console market and become a 3rd Party developer.

This is the first time I've actually agreed with them.

The WiiU was a big mistake, but the Switch is proving itself to be a total clusterfuck.
:|

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Tanis said:
Nintendo is Nintendo's worst enemy at this point.

For DECADES (basically, since the N64) I've heard people declare that Nintendo should abandon the console market and become a 3rd Party developer.

This is the first time I've actually agreed with them.

The WiiU was a big mistake, but the Switch is proving itself to be a total clusterfuck.
:|
Well the first and biggest nintendoh moment was when they created the console that took the top spot from them. They were partnered with Sony to creat the Snes CD but thut backed out at the last minut to partner with another company and license their IP to them lkeaving sony to foot the bill for the RD. Sony too what they'd done.. pushed it a little further and thus the Playstation was Born.

If you're wondering what deal looked so sweet that it was worth screwing ove Sony. Well it was the Phillips CD-i. Yup.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Chimpzy said:

Play Zelda I hope :/

This is something that sounds really weird to me.
I wonder why the Virtual Console wont be there... but the Eshop will? So we can buy all the Switch titles at launch as downloadable games but not older games, from previous generations. Does this have something to do with the change to cartridges? I can't really come up with any other reason.

totheendofsin

some asshole made me set this up
Jul 31, 2009
My theory that March 3rd is a soft launch is becoming more and more likely every time they announce something about the console

anyway no VC is disappointing but hardly a deal breaker, I wonder how long until it is up though, SNES and NES VC games apparently will have online multiplayer when applicable so maybe when paid online starts in Autumn

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Guffe said:
This is something that sounds really weird to me.
I wonder why the Virtual Console wont be there... but the Eshop will? So we can buy all the Switch titles at launch as downloadable games but not older games, from previous generations. Does this have something to do with the change to cartridges? I can't really come up with any other reason.
My guess is the programming for VC titles, particularly the reworking of some games to support online play, isn't ready yet. Emulation is delicate process.
totheendofsin said:
My theory that March 3rd is a soft launch is becoming more and more likely every time they announce something about the console
Bingo.

Roguebubble

Feb 26, 2012
It does seem that the Switch was pushed out early for a soft launch with the bare minimum features so that they could have Zelda as a launch title after the long delays for a Wii U Zelda.

Still no VC is not unexpected but just all the more reason to wait on buying on a Switch.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
So the Switch will be a Zelda machine until Christmas then... Oh man.

What should worry people, especially those who pre-ordered before this information, its that there's no time frame for when VC will be in either.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Sigh. Whatever Nintendo. Clearly your console is still in beta if its missing so much functionality.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Guffe said:
Chimpzy said:
Switch will run Zelda at 900p @30fps. Wii U runs it at 720p @30fps, the Wii U is also shown to experience framerate drops to the low 20's. So if you are holding your breath, get bigger lungs.

Max Dochnal

Dec 11, 2016
Damn, no Virtual Console, damn :( I was so looking forward to paying 10$ a pop for games that came out 25 years ago and that I have already bought.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
008Zulu said:
Guffe said:
Chimpzy said:
Switch will run Zelda at 900p @30fps. Wii U runs it at 720p @30fps, the Wii U is also shown to experience framerate drops to the low 20's. So if you are holding your breath, get bigger lungs.
I read somewhere that the Switch plays Zelda at 720p / 60fps at handheld and 1080p / 60fps docked.
The 920p /30 fps was the demos people got to play at different conventions.
I might be wrong, but I read that about a week or two back somwhere or some youtube channel said so who had hands on at some convention... I might be wrong, but I remember something like that from somewhere. Might be a different game altogether.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
008Zulu said:
Guffe said:
Might be a different game altogether.
Nintendo confirmed that Zelda will run at 720 in handheld, but 900 in docked mode.
Yep you're right!
Went and double checked, apparently my misinformation was due to the fact that a few sites (IGN at least) actually have claimed that it runs at 1080p, but now have edited those reports. That and the fact that it will be able to run games 1080p/60fps but it's up to the developers how they want the game to run.