US Army Tests "The Laser"

Feb 13, 2008
US Army Tests "The Laser"

Energy weapon maker Northrop Grumman [http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/19/abl_ground_tests_full_power/] has announced further successful ground tests for the mighty laser cannon installed in America's prototype nuke-blasting jumbo jet.

The laser aircraft is being developed by the US military's Missile Defense Agency, which envisions a fleet of blaster-jumbos able to mount standing patrols off the coast of North Korea and incinerate hostile nuclear ICBMs as soon as they lift off - should North Korea develop a working ICBM.

After "multiple long-duration, lethal" blasts were fired on the ground the system is being set up to test the actual shootdown of a real ICBM set for later this year. Long duration in this case only relates to three seconds, but company energy-cannon chief Dan Wildt said the laser could easily have kept blazing for longer, but this would have destroyed or melted the ground test equipment.

The energy gun will need tweaks to its chemical fuel mix before it is fit to take on these next round of firings though, as these will be in the air.

Rumors of it being incorporated into a "Death Star" were responded to with loud coughings and the words "rip off" [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scott_Evil].

Source: The Register [http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/19/abl_ground_tests_full_power/]

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
Heh. Nice one. Of course it wouldn't be a "Death Star" it would be the "Freedom Star".

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
DirkGently said:
Heh. Nice one. Of course it wouldn't be a "Death Star" it would be the "Freedom Star".
I see what you did there. "We're going to free the shit out of you" comes to mind.

I saw this (or what I assume to be a close relative of this) on Future Weapons a while ago, pretty impressive stuff.

Terror_666

Jan 7, 2009
Hasn't that thing been around for awhile?
I distinctly remember seeing something about that a few years back.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Heh love the picture you chose to go along with the article. And I'm glad lasers are being used to shoot down ICBMs as opposed to, say, blowing up distant planets. Atleast it's productive. Well, if you count potentially saving millions of lives productive, though I know some people would disagree with that.

Feb 13, 2008
Terror_666 said:
Hasn't that thing been around for awhile?
I distinctly remember seeing something about that a few years back.
It has been around for some time, but this is the first time it's been properly tested. And unlike the LHC, this one doesn't pack up after a few spins.

ParkourMcGhee

Jan 4, 2008
I want one of those! But if I do get to play with one, I'll send all you guys and gals at the escapist pictures of the aftermath... not that you'll need them since it'll already be up on the news (another town lasered to death, when will it stop?).