Get a Look at the System Shock Reboot in this Pre-Alpha Gameplay Trailer

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Get a Look at the System Shock Reboot in this Pre-Alpha Gameplay Trailer

Night Dive Studios has rolled out a trailer that shows off some pre-alpha footage of the System Shock remaster, including gameplay.

The remaster of the original System Shock hit Kickstarter early July [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167828-System-Shock-Reboot-Now-On-Kickstarter-with-Free-Demo]. It's scheduled to be released sometime next year, and Night Dive Studios is showing off a look at some pre-alpha footage, including a little gameplay.

The two-minute long trailer features sweeping shots of the station, as well as some gameplay and simple combat, all looking pretty good in Unreal Engine 4.

If you didn't get to try out the alpha demo that was released alongside the game's Kickstarter, you can still get it. Just head over to the game's GoG page [http://store.steampowered.com/app/482400/] and download it. The System Shock remaster is due out sometime in 2018.

[gallery=7009]

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Why? Why release pre-alpha footage, if you're not in the middle of a Kickstarter campaign or some such? Seems crazy to me.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Pyrian said:
Why? Why release pre-alpha footage, if you're not in the middle of a Kickstarter campaign or some such? Seems crazy to me.
Presumably to remind the world that you're still there plugging away and haven't absconded with the cash.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
fix-the-spade said:
Presumably to remind the world that you're still there plugging away and haven't absconded with the cash.
Is that even necessary? And you can always just post a dev log or some such. The thing is, posting pre-alpha footage has potential costs. If it looks worse than your end product (hopefully, lol), then you're effectively reducing hype off the bat. "Hmm, doesn't look great" isn't the press you want. If it looks better than your end product (a la Invisible War, or No Man's Sky for a more recent example) then you're going to have a lot of very disappointed fans.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
I really regret not getting in on backing this one. They had the kick starter at a time when I was between jobs and low on funds, so I had to axe my early patronage on many things that I wanted to back. Glad to see the game is still going strong.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Colt47 said:
I really regret not getting in on backing this one. They had the kick starter at a time when I was between jobs and low on funds, so I had to axe my early patronage on many things that I wanted to back. Glad to see the game is still going strong.
I wouldn't even worry about it, the stretch goals were utter shit. If you want to "support" them then buy it day-one and bear the consequences.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
mad825 said:
Colt47 said:
I wouldn't even worry about it, the stretch goals were utter shit. If you want to "support" them then buy it day-one and bear the consequences.
Is the game really going that badly? The visual design looks really well done in those screens and the gameplay is promising.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Colt47 said:
mad825 said:
Colt47 said:
Is the game really going that badly? The visual design looks really well done in those screens and the gameplay is promising.
No, it's pretty good. I played the demo. He just thinks the stretch goals were underwhelming, so there's no harm done by you not backing it.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
If am to be honest here, it doesn't looks all that good. The hammer has no weight behind it, the enemy hardly felt the swing, it needs more feedback from the swing. And the distortion in SHODAN's voice actually makes her less scary, it needs either to go or a serious tone down.

That being said, it is the alpha. So I hope a lot of it get's changed in the final version.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
It's pretty enough, I guess. But the enemies don't look threatening. It's kind of weird- they look "real", in the sense that the "zombie" looks like a clay stop-motion figure, and the robot looks like a 1/20th scale model someone might put together out of scrap metal on a desktop. But they don't look like full-sized entities capable of threatening a human being.

Still, I admire Night Dive's ambitions; I hope at some point we get a good game out of it.