Logan - X-Men's Dark Knight

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Logan - X-Men's Dark Knight

Logan is the best X-Men film and a perfect sendoff for Hugh Jackman.

Read Full Article

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I have no interest in the X-Men saga, would lose all interest in Super Hero Movies if they had to be PG-13, or actual Westerns as I associate that with Republicans.
I basically saw Logan because it was Rated R & liked it.
Not to say R guarantees a good movie. It does however guarantee that the audience you'll have to deal with will be less irritating.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Youve sold me, Ill go and see it.

Although Ive never really cared for the x-men movies.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
It does not belong to Marvel, yet still was a great movie, what is Fantastic Four's excuse to keep sucking? At least this movie will shut the fanboys that say that everything Marvel sold should be given back with an apology card.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Igor-Rowan said:
It does not belong to Marvel, yet still was a great movie, what is Fantastic Four's excuse to keep sucking? At least this movie will shut the fanboys that say that everything Marvel sold should be given back with an apology card.
Never true. I will always want X-Men in the MCU. Hell, I want Stewart and McKellen to just be moved over to MCU.

I want Wolverine in The Avengers, I want Black Panther and Storm to get together, I want Spider-Man and Deadpool to mock eachother, etc.

I want the actual Civil War plotline.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Igor-Rowan said:
Actually, people always saw the X-Men movies as "the best thing right after Marvels own stuff" because most of the time, they were still good. There were some bad ones and some great ones, too.
Why only them (and Deadpool) work as a movie outside of Marvels own doing is a mystery but maybe it's the same reason it's nowerdays almost impossible to create a good DC Movie that is not based on solely on Batman.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Saelune said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Saelune said:
I want you to think really hard about what you just said.
I want you to elaborate.
The comic was trash? Characters acting out of character. Blatantly making it obvious that Captain America was right and Iron Man was wrong, as opposed to the movie which did a better (however, still not perfect) job of not making Iron Man the villain.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Kenbo Slice said:
Saelune said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Saelune said:
I want you to elaborate.
The comic was trash? Characters acting out of character. Blatantly making it obvious that Captain America was right and Iron Man was wrong, as opposed to the movie which did a better (however, still not perfect) job of not making Iron Man the villain.
Iron Man shouldnt have been a villain then.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Saelune said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Saelune said:
Kenbo Slice said:
Saelune said:
I want you to elaborate.
Iron Man shouldnt have been a villain then.
Yeah, he shouldn't have been. Because that was way out of character in the comics and made no sense. Also Reed Richards acted out of character too.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I would much rather follow the characters in this movie than the current X-men Fox universe we have, both because X23 is awesome and Apocalypse was meh-riffic.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Ezekiel said:
The title doesn't quite work for me. I liked Batman Begins better than The Dark Knight. I finished rewatching the Nolan trilogy a few hours ago and think Begins is still the best Batman movie. The Dark Knight is overrated.
I think the comparison is apt. I know Marter meant in more of a "Logan is the best X-men movie, like TDK which is the best Batman movie" kind of way, but there is a clear similarity between the two. Logan is a great movie, but it's barely an X-men movie (not that I care, I think the idea of the X-men is obsolete). If anything, Logan is so good because it is so different from a normal comic book movie, it intentionally distances itself from the comics.

The Dark Knight is similar, we got a different look at Batman, one somewhat grounded in reality. After years of Burton-esque wacky shit, it was such a refreshing take on the character. Begins on the other hand isn't afraid to deal with out of this world comic book concepts. In that way, it is the most Batman-y Batman movie. Just like how Days of Future Past is the most X-men-y X-men movie.

TLDR Both Logan and TDK are so highly regarded because besides just being good movies in general, they bucked the trend and and gave new takes on the characters (which happen to both be "gritty and realistic").

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Saw the movie yesterday and really didn't like it. Something about the whole thing simply did not work for me. My friends said the same thing, though I'm not yet able to put my finger on as to why. I got pretty much what I expected, but was mostly untouched by what was happening and almost fell asleep when Logan and the girl arrived at the thing near the end.

I guess I was already out in the very first scene when Logan's first word is "fuck" and he starts his berserker mode.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Bindal said:
Actually, people always saw the X-Men movies as "the best thing right after Marvels own stuff"
Always? X-Men had three films in the series before Marvel even started making their own films; as a franchise it's twice as old as the Marvel Cinematic Universe. People seem to forget, but the X-Men films are the main reason superhero films are popular at all - before they showed how it could be done all we had were the increasingly silly Batman films and a memory of when Superman had a couple of good films a couple of decades earlier. Then X-Men came along and everyone wanted to join in; having had no superhero films to speak of we suddenly we had Fantastic Four, Hulk, Superman Returns, Batman Begins, and finally the MCU joined in later. X-Men weren't just "the best ones after Marvel", they were the ones who started the whole thing and for quite a while were really the only team in town.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Igor-Rowan said:
Actually Hugh Jackman said that he'd continue to play Wolverine if he was to be included in the MCU. so that should be reason enough. So while hopefully Fox has figured out how to make a good superhero movie finally, I'd still love to see the X-Men alongside The Avengers.

https://moviepilot.com/p/hugh-jackman-keep-playing-wolverine-in-mcu-marvel/4213489

Kahani said:
Bindal said:
Actually, people always saw the X-Men movies as "the best thing right after Marvels own stuff"
Always? X-Men had three films in the series before Marvel even started making their own films; as a franchise it's twice as old as the Marvel Cinematic Universe. People seem to forget, but the X-Men films are the main reason superhero films are popular at all - before they showed how it could be done all we had were the increasingly silly Batman films and a memory of when Superman had a couple of good films a couple of decades earlier. Then X-Men came along and everyone wanted to join in; having had no superhero films to speak of we suddenly we had Fantastic Four, Hulk, Superman Returns, Batman Begins, and finally the MCU joined in later. X-Men weren't just "the best ones after Marvel", they were the ones who started the whole thing and for quite a while were really the only team in town.
What do you mean X-Men was the only game in town? It had one movie before Spider-Man came out in 2002 and was already a work in progress before X-Men came out. Additionally it was the only movie to ever knock a Star Wars Movie off the top spot in the domestic box office. I'd attribute the genre being so popular due to that fact alone.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Caramel Frappe said:
Went to see Logan and holy crap ... what a ride. Not in the excitement / action-y sense but the emotional side of life was very present in this film. Everything was incredible, and the character interactions were very personal but realistic in my eyes.

Loved it. An easy 8.5 / 10 and got me to tear up ... a superhero movie got me emotional. Easily my top 10 favorite movies now.
I agree completely. It was a very subdued and emotional movie which I really enjoyed. Marter says

It's not looking for easy entertainment - and, in fact, might not even be that "entertaining" in the traditional sense. It's an emotional ride, one that isn't a lot of fun - but that's all the more fitting.

And that pretty much sums up my opinion on it. It's a slow burn with nuggets of really intense and violent action. The story and the characters call for this and it's wonderful even if it's not 100% riveting the entire way through.

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
So the last X-men movie i watched was X-men first class. Do I need to watch any other X-men movie or can i jump in to this no problem?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I don't think every movie HAS to make a political statement to be good, so I don't see why Marter was bothered by this movie not making it more obvious.
Drejer43 said:
So the last X-men movie i watched was X-men first class. Do I need to watch any other X-men movie or can i jump in to this no problem?
Not necessarily, but this one's directed by the same guy as The Wolverine (which is also good), and picks up a few things from Days of Future Past and Apocalypse, along with a few other call-backs to older X-Men movies.