All the Mass Effect: Andromeda Multiplayer DLC Will be Free

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013

You won't need to spend a ton of money on post-launch content for Mass Effect: Andromeda, as Bioware says it's going to be free.

If you're worried about how much money you could be sinking into maps, characters, and other multiplayer DLC for Mass Effect: Andromeda, don't be. Just like Mass Effect 3, the post-launch content for Andromeda will be free.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/AarynFlynn/status/838507553491341313]

The news comes from a Tweet by BioWare general manager Aaryn Flynn who confirmed that the plan for Andromeda is just like the plan that the company used for Mass Effect 3. That means that the only thing you'll be expected to pay for will be the game's loot boxes. Maps, characters, abilities, and the like will be free of charge.

There's been some consternation among gamers about EA and Origin Access members [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169685-Bioware-cancels-Mass-Effect-Andromeda-Multiplayer-Tech-Test] can devote their entire ten hour preview time to multiplayer if they so desire.

Mass Effect: Andromeda launches for PC, PS4, and Xbox One on March 21.

[gallery=7026]

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Good. Honestly, this is really good news. EA said that they might not keep up the Titanfall 2 approach if it didn't do well, so I hope this means that it ended up doing all right.

Now, just keep microtransactions out of it and we'll be all right...EA? Please?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
erttheking said:
He said it would be just like Mass Effect 3.

Since Mass Effect 3 was nothing but a vector for Lootbox based micro transactions, you may be about to be disappointed. Of course if it goes the Titanfall 2 route of specifically priced cosmetics, then cool, but this is EA, the company of full price, season pass, paid lootboxes and all in the one game.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
fix-the-spade said:
erttheking said:
He said it would be just like Mass Effect 3.

Since Mass Effect 3 was nothing but a vector for Lootbox based micro transactions, you may be about to be disappointed. Of course if it goes the Titanfall 2 route of specifically priced cosmetics, then cool, but this is EA, the company of full price, season pass, paid lootboxes and all in the one game.
*Sigh* I pretty much knew that that was going to happen. I was just allowing myself to have a fool's hope.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Good. Splitting up your userbase using map packs was a stupid idea anyway.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
But the real question is: Is there going to be a character with a fair bit of story involvement who just coincidentally, you need to buy separately in his DLC?

And we all know who I'm talking about.....

Wraithsight

[PREFSTRING:insanity]
Jul 6, 2008
ffronw said:

You won't need to spend a ton of money on post-launch content for Mass Effect: Andromeda, as Bioware says it's going to be free.

If you're worried about how much money you could be sinking into maps, characters, and other multiplayer DLC for Mass Effect: Andromeda, don't be. Just like Mass Effect 3, the post-launch content for Andromeda will be free.
IDontBelieveYou.gif

Its not that I dislike Bioware, I rather like them as a company in fact, its just that with the current state the video game industry is in I cannot bring myself to believe that a AAA company will skip out on trying to nickle and dime customers.

Also I note that it says "post-launch content". I'm assuming there is some kind of pre-order bonus that can be purchased separately if you don't pre-order yes?

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
The biggest problem with the ME is like this:
Imagine in League if you could only get new champions through lockboxes.
A new champion launches. You buy 20 lockboxes.
20 Teemos.

Mortuorum

Oct 20, 2010
Wraithsight said:
ffronw said:

IDontBelieveYou.gif

Its not that I dislike Bioware, I rather like them as a company in fact, its just that with the current state the video game industry is in I cannot bring myself to believe that a AAA company will skip out on trying to nickle and dime customers.
I'm not sure why you don't believe it. To be clear, they're still going to nickel and dime you. The multiplayer maps and characters will be free. The lootboxes will need to be purchased with tokens you will be able to slooooowly get over time by grinding away or by paying real world $$. Also, nobody said that single-player content would be free. I'm not sure if a "season pass" has been announced yet, but I guarantee there will be paid campaign content available within weeks (if not days) of launch.

Drejer43

Nov 18, 2009
As MCerberus already said, the progression was shit in ME3.
It was all random.