Nintendo Doesn't Consider Dead Pixels a Defect

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Nintendo Doesn't Consider Dead Pixels a Defect

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1383/1383467.jpg
Don't expect a refund on your Nintendo Switch if it has a dead pixel.

Dead pixels, are defective pixels are pixels on a liquid crystal display that do not work as intended. They are most often characterized as a black spot on your screen that refuses to go away. This defect has been the bane of many tech enthusiasts for years - nothing is more aggravating than getting a shiny new gadget and having a big fat dead pixel in the middle of the screen - but according to Nintendo, it isn't a defect at all. From the company's UK website [https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Nintendo-Switch/Troubleshooting/There-are-black-or-bright-dots-on-the-Nintendo-Switch-screen-that-do-not-go-away-or-there-are-dark-or-light-patches-on-the-screen-/There-are-black-or-bright-dots-on-the-Nintendo-Switch-screen-that-do-not-go-away-or-there-are-dark-or-light-patches-on-the-screen--1201195.html]:

Small numbers of stuck or dead pixels are a characteristic of LCD screens. These are normal and should not be considered a defect.

This answer was posted in response to a Switch F.A.Q, that asked what to do if "There are black or bright dots on the Nintendo Switch screen that do not go away, or there are dark or light patches on the screen."

While this does seem harsh, Nintendo is not alone in this regard. According to a Dell representative [http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/peripherals/f/3529/t/18539029], "A display with 1 to 5 Dead or Stuck pixels is within the industry standards, and is therefore considered an acceptable display." Keep in mind monitors are quite a bit larger than the Switch's screen, so dead pixels wouldn't be quite as noticeable.

We have reached out to Nintendo for comment on this story, and whether or not Switch users who encounter dead pixels will be eligible for refunds.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-07-nintendo-switch-dead-pixels-normal-not-a-defect]

Vinsin

Aug 12, 2011
Well, can't say I was all to inspired to get it before. But a company that doesn't back it's product - can definitely say I'm not going to be getting it now.

Dead pixels of any degree if it's noticeable by the consumer = replace or I'd sooner do business elsewhere.

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
I wait to hear what arguments the Nintendo Defense Force comes up with for this one

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
So, in short:

"There's a defect in our product? Well, we have your money now, so it's your problem!" - Nintendo

Hahahahahahaa...hahaha...ha....hmm.

Yeah, fuck you Nintendo. What a bunch of pricks, holy shit.

And, like Avnger above, I can not wait to see people try to spin this as something positive.

Oh, also, turning to Dell, fucking Dell of all companies, as an example of why this bullshit is 'acceptable' is just....hilarious.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Vigormortis said:
So, in short:

"There's a defect in our product? Well, we have your money now, so it's your problem!" - Nintendo

And, like Avnger above, I can not wait to see people try to spin this as something positive.

Oh, also, turning to Dell, fucking Dell of all companies, as an example of why this bullshit is 'acceptable' is just....hilarious.
Dell was just the first name to pop into my head. Pretty much every major device manufacturer, Samsung, LG, Sony, ECT, all have a similar policy.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Vigormortis said:
So, in short:

Nintendo's reputation has already been fucked in the ass what more can they possibly do?

Infact EVERY AAA company, whatever they do people complains :p

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
I expect Nintendo can say what it likes, the buying public will simply return them to (insert retailer here) and get an exchange or refund. What the retailers then do is no doubt up in the air, but I bet someone like Amazon has the power to lean on Nintendo for replacements. Any brand new device I've ever had with a dead pixel has gone straight back, say what you like manufacturer, my credit card and the Sale of Goods act says otherwise.

No doubt large numbers of 'Grade B Refurbished' Switches will be appearing on Ebay if this is a widespread problem.

Between this and the dock scraping screens Nintendo might be shooting themselves in the foot. Even if it's just a few devices the internet loves to blow things out of proportion.
[quote post="7.947782.23920920"]Dell was just the first name to pop into my head. Pretty much every major device manufacturer, Samsung, LG, Sony, ECT, all have a similar policy.[/quote]
Over the years I've bought a lot of Dell Ultrasharp monitors. Not once have they ever argued about a dead pixel, in fact I sent a screen back after eleven months once and they just replaced it, no argument, no quoting of policy, just fitted a new panel and back it came.

Of their many faults duff screens hasn't been one of them.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Avnger said:
I wait to hear what arguments the Nintendo Defense Force comes up with for this one
These days it usually boils down to either "Other companies do it too!" or "I didn't want to use the JoyCon/WiFi/TV hookup/docking set/second screen/pixels anyway!".

Kibeth41 said:
It's shit, But Nintendo aren't the only ones who have this policy.
There we go.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Johnny Novgorod said:
Avnger said:
These days it usually boils down to either "Other companies do it too!" ir "I didn't want to use the JoyCon/WiFi/TV hookup/docking set/second screen/pixels anyway!".
I would just say, I am not gonna be swayed away from buying a Switch because of a few isloated incidents of this happening.

So far I am not getting the impression that this is a Red Ring of Death level of Epidemic.

And I have been warned off of something before only to buy and be proven wrong at warnings.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Samtemdo8 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Avnger said:
These days it usually boils down to either "Other companies do it too!" ir "I didn't want to use the JoyCon/WiFi/TV hookup/docking set/second screen/pixels anyway!".
I would just say, I am not gonna be swayed away from buying a Switch because of a few isloated incidents of this happening.

So far I am not getting the impression that this is a Red Ring of Death level of Epidemic.

And I have been warned off of something before only to buy and be proven wrong at warnings.
I'm not buying it but if I were you I'd wait to see how widespread is the faultiness, and whether Nintendo does anything about it other than releasing a list of things you can't have in the room with your Switch.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
It's been (knocks on wood) many, many years since I've seen a dead pixel in my -many- screens.
Technology has been getting better, and so they should take that defective crap back if it does happen.

I personally would go flipping insane if it would happen on my tablet (which the Switch 100% is)!

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I can't help but mention that I just pointed this out [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.947775-Nintendo-Switch-Dock-Removed-From-Online-Store#23920791] in a thread about the Switch earlier today, also written by Mr. Bogos.

Even if my comment really did have nothing to do with this new story, can I still feel smug about it?

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
Dell was just the first name to pop into my head. Pretty much every major device manufacturer, Samsung, LG, Sony, ECT, all have a similar policy.
Except DELL makes its policy explicit: more than 5 dead black pixels, or any number of dead bright pixels is subject to replacement by the warranty. Most electronics companies have similarly worded warranty policies [http://www.tested.com/tech/1337-we-uncover-the-dead-pixel-policies-for-every-major-lcd-maker/]. Some are better than others, but in most cases, people can't complain they aren't there.

Nintendo does not have a policy in their official page, just a statement that says "Dead pixels normally happen. If you have them, just look away and pretend they aren't there."

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Kenjitsuka said:
It's been (knocks on wood) many, many years since I've seen a dead pixel in my -many- screens.
Technology has been getting better, and so they should take that defective crap back if it does happen.

I personally would go flipping insane if it would happen on my tablet (which the Switch 100% is)!
5 lcd monitors, 4 lcd touch screen, 1 iPad. None of them had dead pixels out of the box.
Nope,nope. this is not acceptable nintendo.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
...Um, radical idea, but... maybe we should see if this particular failure is especially common to Nintendo Switches before we mob up for another round of shovels and pitchforks? Or if they're willing to clarify their policy on returns? Or if, in fact, their screens are no more prone to this problem, and their policies no less out of line, than the tech that you've been using from various other companies all along?

I've never been one to say "it's okay because it's industry standard practice" as a means of creeping bad policies into play because the big boys are doing it, but as Bogos clarified are a lot of companies making a lot of LCD screens with resolutions similar to or even lower than what the Switch is offering, and they tend to have a similar stance on dead pixels. If you weren't up in arms about Samsung or LG, maybe don't pile onto Nintendo on this one just yet, merely because it's the popular bandwagon to jump upon?

Voxoid

Nov 28, 2013
I was so close to buying one for BoTW until I read these reports and saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb-srOfRqNc

Looks like I'll be waiting a year or 2 so they can fix this shit first.