COD 4 Remastered's DLC Map Pack Costs $5 More Than it Did Back in 2008

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
COD 4 Remastered's DLC Map Pack Costs $5 More Than it Did Back in 2008

The Variety Map Pack will set you back $14.99 - $5 more than the original Variety Map Pack that launched back in 2008.

When Activision launched Call of Duty 4 Remastered [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168549-CoD-4-Remaster-Must-Have-Infinite-Warfare-Disc], it was an exclusive add-on for the various collector's editions of Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. It was a fun little bonus for dedicated fans of the original game, bringing everything from the 2007 classic into the modern era.

What wasn't included was the original game's DLC map pack: The Variety Map Pack. Released in 2008 for $9.99, the pack added the multiplayer maps "Killhouse", "Creek", "Chinatown", and "Broadcast". Now, Activision has announced that the Map Pack is coming to the remastered version of the game for $14.99.

This new price puts the map pack at $5 more than what you paid for it back in 2008, although it is The Last of Us Remastered [https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/addons/call-of-duty-infinite-warfare-dlc1-sabotage/cid=UP0002-CUSA04762_00-CODIWTHEDLC10001]. Many fans are upset that Activision is charging, and charging more, for what was supposed to be a nostalgia-laden freebie.

[gallery=7027]

The map will be available March 21 on PlayStation 4, with other platforms to follow.

Source: PlayStation [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcuSPrKFIvI]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Ugh, dammit Activision, I thought you weren't doing dlc bullshit with the remake. Blegh, way to be dicks.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Ezekiel said:
Wow. I assumed the base game had the DLC already. When I bought the original Call of Duty 4 on Steam a few months ago, it came with everything. Makes me glad I'm not obsessed with graphics. It didn't need to be remastered.

Jesus... 95 dollars all together for a twenty dollar game.
PC Version of CoD4 came with the DLC for free (and also included a fifth, PC exclusive map: Winter Crash, that didn't come to consoles until this game). Same for World at War and its three mappacks.

Personally, not surprised that it costs money - but that it costs MORE than the original DLC is. And while one could say the 10 rare supply drops that are added for free are trying to make up for the difference (10 rare crates cost 20 bucks), it's still bad.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Wait, wait, wait....wait...

No, seriously...hold up a second...

You mean to tell me that these weren't already built into the game?

That's some classic Activision right there.

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Ezekiel said:
Wow. I assumed the base game had the DLC already. When I bought the original Call of Duty 4 on Steam a few months ago, for 9.99, it came with everything. Makes me glad I'm not obsessed with graphics. It didn't need to be remastered.

Jesus... 95 dollars all together for a twenty dollar game.
Nice part is the community for it is still active too, heck even a lot of mods are still alive and kicking with large playerbases. So yeah, there's legit no reason to waste money or time on what sounds more like a remastered cash grab than a legit effort of love for an old classic that put them on the map.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
RJ 17 said:

Well, the game didn't even ship with all original maps and was missing six of those as well - but they were added for free during Winter around Christmas.

Shadefyre

Mar 25, 2008
It's not surprising, they gotta recoup the costs since I'm guessing IW DLC wouldn't sell any better than the game did. So they're focusing on the people that just wanted the remaster instead.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Bindal said:
RJ 17 said:

Well, the game didn't even ship with all original maps and was missing six of those as well - but they were added for free during Winter around Christmas.
Wow....so what, were there like...only two MP maps when it shipped? As I recall, the base game didn't have a particularly large map selection to begin with...I'd imagine not having 6 of'em off the start would make the MP get pretty stale pretty quickly.

Not surprised, though, since you had to get a special edition of Infinite Warfare just to get the remastered edition. It really boggles my mind to think about how there's so many AAA devs/companies out there that seem to actively be trying to get their target audience pissed the fuck off at them. :p

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Gotta hand it to Activision... they're really treading new ground taking the piss liberties with the nostalgic and newcomers at the same time. That's innovation you can take to the bank!

Bindal

May 14, 2012
RJ 17 said:
Bindal said:
RJ 17 said:

Wow....so what, were there like...only two MP maps when it shipped? As I recall, the base game didn't have a particularly large map selection to begin with...I'd imagine not having 6 of'em off the start would make the MP get pretty stale pretty quickly.

Not surprised, though, since you had to get a special edition of Infinite Warfare just to get the remastered edition. It really boggles my mind to think about how there's so many AAA devs/companies out there that seem to actively be trying to get their target audience pissed the fuck off at them. :p
If my math isn't wrong, it was eight maps on release if I am not mistaken, then a month and a half later six more (well, seven, as Winter Crash was also added, but Crash was a launch map and Winter Crash is just a Christmas version, so only asthetically different).

Still, I think it should be mentioned in the article that the DLC also contains 10 Rare Supply Drops (garantueed item of non-common quality plus higher chance for non-common items in general) for free which normally cost 20$ - while I personally don't think that remotely covers the change in price, it's still something that should be pointed out.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Any interest in this game died when they added a fucking beer bottle as a melee weapon.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
It's been long enough to the point where they are selling map packs and they still haven't put up a standalone version for release?

Bindal

May 14, 2012
TheMigrantSoldier said:
It's been long enough to the point where they are selling map packs and they still haven't put up a standalone version for release?
Nope - but some think that the release of the map pack (on the other systems next month) might be a good reason to finally do that.