CD Projekt Red's Next Game Will Likely be Out By 2019

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
CD Projekt Red's Next Game Will Likely be Out By 2019

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1361/1361116.jpg
Part of the deal behind CD Projekt Red's government grant is that it produce something by June, 2019.

Last year we learned that The Witcher developer CD Projekt Red was given a official documentation [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169082-The-Witcher-3-Dev-Gets-Big-Bucks-From-Polish-Government] regarding the grant, we've learned a few things about what the developer has planned, and what conditions have been put on it. The first and most important condition is that all four of the projects funded by the grant (seamless multiplayer, cinematic feel, animation excellence and city creation) must be fully completed by June, 2019.

While the studio can apply to have this deadline pushed back, it should give you a pretty good release window for its next game, which we are assuming is Cyberpunk 2077 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/cyberpunk%202077?os=%20cyberpunk%202077]. We know that all four projects will be completed in RedEngine 4, the next iteration of the studio's in-house RedEngine, and it is hiring a boatload of contractors in all different areas of expertise for the projects.

In a bit of bad news for Gwent fans, a post on CDPR's Investors forum which stated that CDPR's communication in 2017 will concentrate on Gwent has been removed, suggesting that perhaps the developer is moving away from the title.

Either way, the wheels are certainly in motion at CD Projekt Red, and we can't wait to see what they will deliver in 2019!

Source: reddit [https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/60giin/cd_projekts_government_grants_new_details_emerge/]

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
ive been waiting for a cyberpunk game since 1990.. HURRY THE HELL UP.. i SUPPOSE i can wait a couple more years

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Sounds about right.

People who were expecting Cyberpunk this year were kidding themselves. Even next year is a bit of a stretch. Remember that CDPR have been making those expansion DLCs for TW3 as well.

Hopefully it's good. At the very least I think they're a great fit for a cyberpunk game.

Sep 28, 2016
Zhukov said:
Sounds about right.

People who were expecting Cyberpunk this year were kidding themselves. Even next year is a bit of a stretch. Remember that CDPR have been making those expansion DLCs for TW3 as well.
And the standalone Gwent game that somebody must have asked for. Somewhere.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Majestic Manatee said:
Zhukov said:
Sounds about right.

I actually know one person (well, "know", as in I pop by their twitter feed from time to time) who is really looking forward to that.

Can't say I see the appeal but I guess it takes all types.

distortedreality

May 2, 2011
Good to see a dev take their time to get it right.

Very much loooing forward to what they have in store for us, no matter how long it takes.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
distortedreality said:
Good to see a dev take their time to get it right.

Very much loooing forward to what they have in store for us, no matter how long it takes.
while im not a fan of the witcher 3.. geralt is an obnoxious twat they did amazing world design and if anyone can flesh out the world of cyberpunk they can.. now excuse me while i go watch the trailer again

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
Well I recently rented Witcher 3 and so far I'm enjoying it. I'm even considering buying despite my issues with spiders and those being kinda prominent in one DLC.

So if it's another game like that, I'll definitely say that I'm looking forward to it(especially if its that Cyberpunk game).

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
Majestic Manatee said:
Zhukov said:
Sounds about right.

Its one of those things everyone asked for but nobody actually wanted to play themselves. "Gwent was so cool, you could totally make a standalone version! Uh, for someone else I mean, I'm to busy playing Hearthstone/not playing card games."
Hahaha! Sounds about right :p

Did people really enjoy it that much though? In all honesty it was a fantastic and fleshed out mini-game but half the fun came from all the exploring and questing and talking you had to do to collect the different cards which you'd then have full quest-lines to utilize in, like that intriguing gwent tournament that ended in a caper of sorts. Take all that away and just leave the gwent on its own and you have...ehh... a pretty barebones experience that'll probably be deleted from your phone by the end of the day.

But eh! It'll find its group I guess... is the game even still happening though?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
CDPR - please take your time. If you have got more bugs than a Bethsheda game, maybe take some more time... get it right

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
I've not started Witcher 3 yet, and frankly I'd swap that for a chance to play Cyberpunk instead. If the 2019 release isn't going to be that, then colour me already slightly disappointed...

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
Darth Rosenberg said:
I've not started Witcher 3 yet, and frankly I'd swap that for a chance to play Cyberpunk instead. If the 2019 release isn't going to be that, then colour me already slightly disappointed...
You could kill some time until 2019 by playing... Witcher.

katsabas

Apr 23, 2008
The information concerning Gwent in this article is super-assuming at best, misleading and uninformed at worst.

First of all, why would CDPR move away from Gwent when they announced last week that they plan to add 220 cards to the game by the end of the year ? That makes no sense.

Second of all, why would CDPR move away from Gwent when they announced last week that they are hosting a 100.000 dollar tournament ?? That makes no sense times square !

https://www.playgwent.com/pl/tournament

Edit: Paragraph is question is officially invalid when it comes to Gwent support. I am not saying this, CDPR is. Please update the article.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/60tbxz/cdpr_moving_away_from_gwent_what/

Also, comments cannot help but spread a hostility towards the game for no apparent reason. Escapist members have become more cynical than Yahtzee in some aspects. Something to think about.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
pookie101 said:
while im not a fan of the witcher 3.. geralt is an obnoxious twat
Whatever you do, do not read the books.
thank you for the warning.

as for it being cyberpunk or gwent.. well the time frame would suit cyberpunk better than gwent

yes im biased :D

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I hope it's 2077. I am of mixed feeling about Gwent, I really like the game, but I am so, so, so very horrible at it.