Ubisoft is Working on an Assassin's Creed TV Series

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Ubisoft is Working on an Assassin's Creed TV Series

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1390/1390939.jpgThe next Assassin's Creed release could be a TV series, and it might even be on Netflix.

If you've wondered what's going on in the Assassin's Creed series of late, it turns out that Ubisoft is working on turning the games into a TV series. The project was confirmed by Assassin's Creed head of content Aymar Azaizia in a Reddit AMA [https://www.reddit.com/r/assassinscreed/comments/60pj33/i_am_aymar_azaizia_head_of_content_for_assassins/] yesterday.

When asked to provide more information about the rumored project, Azaizia replied, "It's like the movie guys, we will take our time, to get sure we deliver something we can be proud of, but if you wander if it's on our plan... YES." He didn't offer any other details, but the confirmation is definitely interesting. My imagination is hoping for a Quantum Leap-style offering that jumps from time period to time period based on the events in the present day.

You might remember Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot saying last year that the company was negotiating plans with Netflix for a new series. There was no word on what that series might be, but with the confirmation that an AC series is in the works, don't be surprised if it turns out to be a Netflix original. It's likely that any series would be produced by Ubisoft Motion Pictures, which also handled production on the recent Assassin's Creed movie.

Ubisoft is also working on a new Assassin's Creed game, but there's been no news on that other than a few persistent rumors that it will be titled Empire and be set in Eqypt. As is usually the case, we'll just have to wait and see.

[gallery=7080]

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Riiiighhttt... because that whole movie thing worked out so well....
So ... who wants to bet if that TV series will be better or worse than the movie?

King_Julian

Jun 10, 2009
did he just fucking say "we take our time so we can deliver something that we can be proud of"...........idiot. tkae your time, listen to the fans......and deliver something they want to see!

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
So....why? Because IIRC, the movie was kinda shit. And It wasn't because they didn't have enough running time, it was because they don't quite understand why people like these games, among other things.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I think the series makes better sense as a TV show, honestly.

There's always far too much shit going on for a movie to actually make coherent sense, and with a TV series you can take your time in doing that.

Not that I'm super confident in them delivering on that, but you never know.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
If only more game developers realized sooner that all they wanted was to make a cinematic movie or show!

Kidding aside though...I've..I haven't played any AssCreed game so..They seemed not my style.
I could possibly consider watching it as a show though. ^^

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
JenSeven said:
Riiiighhttt... because that whole movie thing worked out so well....
So ... who wants to bet if that TV series will be better or worse than the movie?
Depends, did they learn their lesson from the movie (i.e. that no one gives a fat flying fuck about the present day bullshit) and keep the series purely about assassins assassinating people in historical settings?

I'm certainly not holding my breath on that note, considering how long it took them to learn that lesson with the games themselves.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
The series works a lot better as a TV series than as a movie. Just make it mostly a faux past period piece (they can take some clues from Da Vinci's Demons, Sleepy Hollow, Black Sails or Spartacus), and put some stingers here and there that there is some current world connection (and treat them as something supernatural, tone down the "science" of the Animus). Increase the amount of stingers throughout the series, but never more than a few minutes at the time. The relation should be no more than 1/5 of each episode spent in the present... until the last chapter is mostly about resolving the current world events.

That should give them enough material without going into the dumber and more generic side of the franchise (the present side).

I wouldn't worry about it, though. Most publishers try to sell their franchises as multimedia products all the time, and most of those adaptations never get beyond the initial money exchange. Remember Emmerich's Asteroids? Alvarez's Dante's Inferno? Ratner's God of War? Abbrams Half-Life? Raimi's The Last of Us? Bruce Willis' Kane and Lynch? Warner's Five Nights at Freddy's? Universal's Gears of War? Metal Gear Solid being offered again and again? The Division being promoted as a movie before the game was even released?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
JenSeven said:
Better, actually, but that's a pretty low bar. One of the movie's problems was that it was trying to fit in too much plot in too short a time, and it came at the expense of characterization. A TV series might be better suited if it's following the games' format.