8 of the Hardest Boss Fights in an MMO

n0e

Eternally Lurking
Feb 28, 2014
8 of the Hardest Boss Fights in an MMO

Here are eight bosses that made nerd rage a common thing in MMO communities.

Read Full Article

twcblaze

Lurker Extraordinaire
Jun 18, 2009
Glad Absolute Virtue and Pandemoniun warden made the list... Haven't touched XI in over half a decade and I STILL think about them occasionally.

Edited twice; once for spelling and once again for exaggeration

Setch Dreskar

Mar 28, 2011
Nothing from the Secret World? Contact Core, Halina Ilyushin, and WAYEB-XUL, THE HOUND OF THE NAMELESS DAYS - Come to mind immediately.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
Illidan? The Final boss? C'mon guys, Sunwell might've been a bit tacked on but it still existed. He might've been pulled out of literally nowhere but Kil'jaden was still a fun - if albeit uncomplicated - fight.

twcblaze

Lurker Extraordinaire
Jun 18, 2009
Wrex Brogan said:
Illidan? The Final boss? C'mon guys, Sunwell might've been a bit tacked on but it still existed. He might've been pulled out of literally nowhere but Kil'jaden was still a fun - if albeit uncomplicated - fight.
It's just hard bosses, not final bosses. I can understand the train of thought, though.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Wrex Brogan said:
To be fair, the last patch content prior to Cataclysm seemed to be more Epilogue than end of that era when it came to WoW. Naxx, Sunwell, Ruby Sanctum were more or less non-storyline content... Naxx was basically nearly inaccessible to most Vanilla players except top of the top so I barely consider it a final raid, especially since they moved and retuned it as the entry to Wrath.

Edit: by non-storyline I mean not part of the main storyline, not non-canon.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
You do know that there are plenty more MMOs to choose from. Getting 3 from WoW is just cheap and sad.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
First time I've seen Lineage 2 mentioned on this site. I remember hearing it took 2 years for several clans to get around 200 people to kill Antharas.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
twcblaze said:
Wrex Brogan said:
It's just hard bosses, not final bosses. I can understand the train of thought, though.
No, the article actually calls Illidan the final boss of the expansion, which he wasn't. Hard boss, to be sure, but an update too early to be the final boss of the Burning Crusade.

[sub]...and yes, I'm petty enough that this minor detail has bugged me more than it should.[/sub]

TT Kairen

Nov 10, 2011
Happy to see Kerafyrm made this list. I would consider it invalid otherwise. Yeesh I'm old, I was playing the original EQ when I was 12.

Dalsyne

Jul 13, 2015
Antharas was indeed one of the hardest - because he wasn't really designed to be fought at that level. I think they tried with 500 people before any expansions came out, and failed miserably.

IIRC they defeated Antharas halfway through the second expansion, when people were sufficiently levelled up and had acquired more powerful gear. Either way, Lineage 2 bosses were massive clusterfucks of epic proportions due to no cap on how many people can attempt (they put one in later I think), in-battle resurrection spells with no casting limit, and the fact that they were made to take HOURS to beat. Not a sight you're gonna see for a long while in videogames.

Three of the bosses here are from WoW which is a bit... pandering. Speaking as someone who beat Algalon the Observer, he wasn't so bad and neither was Illidan (nevertheless Illidan caused a lot of drama due to his drops). LK just had an adjustable difficulty mode that went from easy to brick wall. It's kind of cheating if you ask me.

The only WoW bosses that should be mentioned is C'Thun which was undefeatable at launch due to bugs, and maybe Four Horsemen, the boss known as the "guild-killer" because people had so much problems that entire guilds would fall due to their best players leaving for better ones that could actually finish the fight. Otherwise, many pre-expansion WoW bosses took longer for people to defeat simply due to the fact that people weren't so used to the game back then (and design philosophies).

twcblaze

Lurker Extraordinaire
Jun 18, 2009
Wrex Brogan said:
No, the article actually calls Illidan the final boss of the expansion
My apologies then, I skimmed the article so I didn't actually read that portion of it.

Nismu

Mar 4, 2015
and more to lineage 2 and anthras , when you died you lost exp and had chance to drop items and could even get deleveled. (though think they later reduced penalties) and exping was always quite pain in that game (yet somehow i miss it >.< )