Yooka-Laylee Review - Banjo-Threeie

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Yooka-Laylee Review - Banjo-Threeie

Yooka-Laylee is a faithful Banjo-Kazooie sequel in everything but name.

Read Full Article

ChaplainOrion

Nov 7, 2011
Does anyone know how this handles on consoles? I heard that on the xbone it doesn't run that well and there is a lot of frame stuttering.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
ChaplainOrion said:
Does anyone know how this handles on consoles? I heard that on the xbone it doesn't run that well and there is a lot of frame stuttering.
Apparently the PS4 version is the worse version according to the reviews. And with PC coming in 7 days we'll see how optimized the game is overall.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Eclipse Dragon said:
Silentpony said:
Jim's site is down 'cause he gave it a 2/10
I thought you were joking.
It makes me sad that you weren't.
Welp. He kinda warned us when he hinted that people should hold off on purchasing when the embargo was still up.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Silentpony said:
IMO, he is an idiot. A 2/10 score denotes a game that is functionally broken. Endless glitches, missing segments, early access alpha type stuff. I understand if he didn't like the game but a 2/10 score is just insulting.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
AzrealMaximillion said:
ChaplainOrion said:
Apparently the PS4 version is the worse version according to the reviews. And with PC coming in 7 days we'll see how optimized the game is overall.
I played the game on PC and had no optimization issues

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
Silentpony said:
IMO, he is an idiot. A 2/10 score denotes a game that is functionally broken. Endless glitches, missing segments, early access alpha type stuff. I understand if he didn't like the game but a 2/10 score is just insulting.
That's how Jim scores his game based purely on whether or not he likes them. Always has.
Assasin's Creed II- 4/10.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
ChaplainOrion said:
I played the game on PC and had no optimization issues
Seems the PC version may be the best version from what you're saying. Because the console versions are not getting treated well.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Steven Bogos said:
Silentpony said:
That's how he described the game: Broken due not only immitating the gameplay idea of Banjo-Kazooie, but also pretty much everything else, including the flaws.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
So I love 3D Platformers like Toy Story 2, Super Mario 64, The Spyro Games, The Sly Cooper Games, Spongebob Squarepants Battle For Bikini Bottom, Donkey Kong 64, and even the Gex games. However, I couldn't get into the Banjo games for some reason. Maybe it's because it didn't have as much platforming as it did puzzles that I couldn't figure out in a fun way. My friends even said it was like a Nintendo Power game. It didn't help that it had some things that are archaic by todays standards like collectibles resetting when you leave a level or getting a game over screen when you want to save.

I do intend to get this game but I hope those flaws are fixed with this one.

Okamisama

Sep 23, 2015
Steven Bogos said:
Silentpony said:
And, in my opinion, it takes a true idiot to insult a reviewer simply because your standards don't align with another's. Digital Homicide learned that the hard way. People have been reviewing Persona 5, and I'm not losing my mind when it's rated less than a 9--even when there aren't any complaints or issues brought up to really speak of. Sometimes it's just not a game they enjoy, and the score will reflect that. Hell, Andromeda should be getting nailed with 5/10s at the very least by that standard, considering the numerous glitches and problems I've seen crop up, not to mention the news coming out recently about all the corners Bioware cut to make it on the really cheap.

Then again, comments like this are why I use the programs I use--I don't like rewarding lazily written "top ten" buzzfeed articles and individuals with an extreme lack of tact.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Steven Bogos said:
A 2/10 score denotes a game that is functionally broken.
Really? A functionally broken game is worth more than 1?

It amuses me to contrast the two reviews. They both state outright that the game is almost exactly like Banjo Kazooie. The disagreement seems to be mostly about whether or not that's a GOOD thing.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Eclipse Dragon said:
Silentpony said:
Makes me sad too. It didn't go down for Persona 5 though. Persona fans are better than YL fans.

Either way I mainly disagree with Jim on nearly every review he has ever made(Bloodborne and Nier Automata are the only ones I have read and went "I agree with this 100%") so I'll still get it.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
RaikuFA said:
It didn't go down for Persona 5 though. Persona fans are better than YL fans.
It can't have been down for long. Never failed to respond for me. Anyway, Persona 5 got an 8.5 rather than a 2...

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Pyrian said:
Steven Bogos said:
A 2/10 score denotes a game that is functionally broken.
Really? A functionally broken game is worth more than 1?

It amuses me to contrast the two reviews. They both state outright that the game is almost exactly like Banjo Kazooie. The disagreement seems to be mostly about whether or not that's a GOOD thing.
To me this just proves that 10 out of 10 score is not a good measurement of quality.

5-5 score is much more streamlined.

5 = Flawless

4 = Great

3 = Decent, Average, Good.

2 = Bad, Mediocre.

1 = Broken, Failure.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
Silentpony said:
Regardless of Jim's review score, a functionally broken game is a defective product and deserves nothing above a 0/10. But that's really beside the point here.

Apparently Jim really, really heavily disliked this game, and he expressed that in both writing and numbers. If you have this many criticisms, why would you give it a score anywhere close to 'average' (translation: '5/10')? The scale from 0 to 10 exists because every spot on that gradient is perfectly eligible for use. Score is 'insulting'? Guess what, looks like Jim felt insulted, so he gave this game (which he backed and was really looking forward to) a score he felt reflected his subjective opinion.

Complaining about a score being too low reminds me of pupils complaining about getting an E or an F on a test because they expected to somehow cruise along with a passing or even decent grade after writing one or more pages of absolute shit. NO. This is not how grading standards work.
Handing out 6s and 7s to games you think are bad or mediocre is far worse of an insult, I think - an insult to customers, to people's intellect, and to basic effing numbers.

I fully respect you scoring Yooka-Laylee the way you did. In fact, I was already interested in it, and your review made me excited to play it, even if it'll probably be a while. I hope I'll like playing it as much as you seemed to.
Taking a needlessly abrasive dig at another reviewer for employing sensible and transparent scoring systems that just happen to not be in line with most other people's, however, is not cool, and in my opinion it doesn't make you look very good in this particular instance. :\

TrulyBritish

Jan 23, 2013
Steven Bogos said:
Silentpony said:
A "Functionally broken" game deserves nothing more than a zero. If it doesn't work that is literally the lowest you can go short of the game just being malware.
But great professionalism there, calling a reviewer (and former Escapist contributor no less) an idiot because he uses a different scale to you.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Eclipse Dragon said:
Silentpony said:
Apparently it was just high traffic. No confirmation of DDoS.