Terraria: Otherworld is "Well Behind Schedule", Getting a New Developer

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Terraria: Otherworld is "Well Behind Schedule", Getting a New Developer

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1394/1394710.jpg
The reason we haven't heard anything about Terraria: Otherworld since 2015 is the game is woefully behind schedule.

Way back in 2015, Terraria developer Re-Logic announced Terraria: Otherworld [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139848-Terraria-Otherworld-New-Terraria-Title-Announced#&gid=gallery_3828&pid=1], a kind of spin-off of the original game in development by Engine Software. We haven't really heard anything about the new game since then, and today Re-Logic has revealed why: things are woefully behind schedule, and Engine Software has been replaced with another developer.

"As much as we hate to say it (and in spite of all of the reforms we tried last year) - the current state of [Terraria: Otherworld] is still equal parts far from that vision and well behind schedule," wrote Re-Logic in a forum post [https://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/changing-of-the-guard-an-update-from-otherworld.56207/].

"As a result, we have made the decision to move on from having Engine Software continue development of Terraria: Otherworld. Re-Logic has possession of the game (code, art, sounds, etc.) as it exists today, and we have been examining the array of options available to us to get TOW to a place to where we can confidently deliver on the vision and expectations we all have for this game. After taking a good hard look at everything, we feel that a new and fresh start/direction is the only way Otherworld will ever reach its full potential at this point."

The new developer revealed to be taking the reins from Engine Software is Pipeworks. Pipeworks has some experience with Terraria, having worked on the re-write on mobile and console.

Either way it looks like we won't see Terraria: Otherworld for quite some time.

Source: Videogamer [https://www.videogamer.com/news/terraria-spin-off-otherworld-is-well-behind-schedule-but-getting-a-new-developer]

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
Hmm bummer about the lost development time and yet glad they are sticking to their guns on what their expectations are for Terraria's next release.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
I've never heard of this before. Is it going to be much different from the original Terraria?

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Is a complete bummer but respect for them for not haphazardly rushing out the tattered remains of what they have for a quick buck at the cost of their loyal fanbase.

Short term gains are never a good route to take. GG Relogic. Hope you find something to do with what you've got.

Kajin said:
I've never heard of this before. Is it going to be much different from the original Terraria?
The premise is Otherworld is a world already taken over by the corruption. And you have to fight/mine/build to take it back from an already overtly hostile world. Plus the style is different. I'm not sure I cared for it. I rather like the simplistic bright colours of the original.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself with a different contractor.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
And any chance of this being not garbage is gone.

Maybe start with what the fuck you want it to be? Otherwise, scrap it and just focus on Terraria 2.