The Ten Journey to Un'Goro Cards That Will Define The Meta

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
The Ten Journey to Un'Goro Cards That Will Define The Meta

These are the best of the best cards from Un'Goro, and the ones that will define the state of play in the coming months.

Read Full Article

C117

Aug 14, 2009
I think most of the cards mentioned might be really good, perhaps even deck-defining... with the exception of the Warlock-legendaries.

Why? Because discarding cards in Hearthstone is, and has always been, a total crapshoot, simply because you always discard random cards. Now, if you could actually CHOOSE which cards to discard, even if it was only from one particular card, these legendaries would be marvelous. But you can't, and so you have to pray to whatever god or equivalent you believe in that the right cards are discarded, and not, say, your Cruel Dinomancer which was meant to bring out the Doomguard you accidentally discarded three turns ago. And even then Clutchmother Zavas is still just a potentially big minion. No Charge, no Taunt, no Battlecry, no nothing. One single target removal and it's gone.

I suppose we'll have to wait and see, but so far nothing suggests that Discolock will take off, in spite of Blizzard's insistence on introducing more cards to support the archetype. Because it's far too risky to play when you can just go for a more reliable deck, like Zoo or Handlock.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Kibeth41 said:
I think the Rogue quest needs to be on there, as it's currently the new pirate Warrior. It's the easiest quest to complete, with one of the strongest rewards. It also currently exists in a limbo where it's countered by hard aggro decks, but counters control. Yet the rest of this expansion has presented decks which are just hard counters to aggro.
I agree! Rogue quest is out of control right now, but the thing is, no-one anticipated it! Most pro streamers gave the rogue quest 1 star. Even Dog, who piloted it to legend, was somewhat in disbelief as to how well it worked. I'm working on an article that will look at the top meta decks since the expansion launched, and crystal core rogue is definitely on there.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
There's a decent chance that none of these will end up being played. Most of them are garbage tier cards and the handful that aren't are still no sure thing.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Rack said:
There's a decent chance that none of these will end up being played. Most of them are garbage tier cards and the handful that aren't are still no sure thing.
Post launch, it's looking like the following cards are seeing extensive play:
-Blazecaller
-Razorleaf
-Kalimos
-Fire Fly

The following cards are seeing a fair ammount of play, but no-where near "meta defining"
-Elise
-Clutchmother Zevas

The following aren't really seeing much play at all
-The Marsh Queen (It slows down Aggro hunter way too much)
-Lakkari Sacrifice (Again, way too slow for the discard zoolock archtype it would be played in)
-Jungle Giants (The deck it's centered around is awkward and doesn't have too much of a place)
-Gluttonous Ooze (Pirate decks aren't as prevalent as people thought they would be... yet!

Jan 27, 2011
This is why I'm glad I stopped playing Hearthstone. These sound completely insane, and given how long it takes to actually unlock new packs without buying them... 0_o