Microsoft Investigating Xbox Live "Booting Services"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Microsoft Investigating Xbox Live "Booting Services"

Xbox Live [http://www.microsoft.com] to flood other gamers off the service.

Hackers discover the IP address of players on Xbox Live and then use essentially the same tools and techniques that have been used against websites for years to hit them with floods of data that force them off the network, according to Chris Boyd of Facetime Communications [http://www.facetime.com/]. "There's been a definite increase in the amount of people talking about and distributing these things over the last three to four weeks," he said. "They get your IP address, put it in the booter tool and they attempt to flood the port that uses Xbox traffic. Flooding that port prevents any traffic getting out."

Boyd said the hardest part of the attack is discovering a user's IP address. Some users connect their BBC [http://www.xbox.com] report says the services are particularly popular with people looking for payback against players who have beaten them in online games.

"The smart thing about these Xbox tools is that they do not attack the Xbox Live network itself," Boyd said. But while that may make it more difficult to track offenders, Microsoft was very clear that it won't protect them when they're discovered. "We are investigating reports involving the use of malicious software tools that an attacker could use to try and disrupt an Xbox LIVE player's internet connection," the company said.

"This problem is not related to the Xbox Live service, but to the player's internet connection. The attacker could also attempt [to] disrupt other internet activities, such as streaming video or web browsing, using the same tools," the statement continued. "This malicious activity violates the Xbox Live Terms of Use, and will result in a ban from Xbox Live and other appropriate action."

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Well that's just taking the definition of a sore loser to the next level. First it was smack talking your opponent and leaving bad feedback about them to hurt their 'rep', now it's obstructing their right to play online? Sick, childish bastards I say.

Mrsoupcup

Jan 13, 2009
People who do that care way to much about games, if you lose you lose. For me my server keeps conecting me with asian people (not to be racist) and Jesus they take games way to seriusly, and some of them are unstopable. Doesn't mean I'm going to cheat though.

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
Why do people need to do this? Why is it so damned important? Since when are video games more than video games? Urgh, I think I need to lay down.

spyrewolf

Jan 7, 2009
AH the dreaded return of the ROflood. pricks use to do this to me all the time on counter-strike in the beta days

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
DirkGently said:
Why do people need to do this?
They're petty. Can't take defeat. Poor sportsmanship, likely coupled with poor gaming etiquette. I'd also throw something in about upbringing, but eh.

Hackers can make the whole community look bad, and good luck to Microsoft rooting them out.

DirkGently

Oct 22, 2008
DeadlyYellow said:
DirkGently said:
Why do people need to do this?
They're petty. Can't take defeat. Poor sportsmanship, likely coupled with poor gaming etiquette. I'd also throw something in about upbringing, but eh.

Hackers can make the whole community look bad, and good luck to Microsoft rooting them out.
No, jackasses like that give the term "hacker" a bad name. Them and the media.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Well unless MS bans their IP address, then they will just make a new account! And if their good enough with computers they could probably find a way to bypass it anyway. So make it illegal and put em away.

ElephantGuts

Jul 9, 2008
Don't people do this with PC games a lot already? Company of Heroes in particular, I think, or atleast that's where I hear about/encounter it. Anyway, Microsoft should definetly get to work on this. Bans all around!

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Wow when I get my ass handed to me (like whenever I play any game online)I look at it as a learning experience. I try and use the same tricks they used on me like the cool little hiding spot and whatnot. This is just plain stupid. Whatever happened to gaming for oh whats the word I am looking for.... FUN? Cuz if you are #1 on a leaderboard you only have one way to go.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
mattttherman3 said:
Well unless MS bans their IP address, then they will just make a new account!
Here's where an unintended positive of Microsoft's fee for Live Gold subscription comes into play. Most of the people who do this are between the ages of 11 and 16, still living at home and still begging their parents for money to support the addiction that will leave them without education, prospects and a future. You try convincing your mother that you need another chunk of cash to pay for something she's already paid for. Even if she's the kind who will pay without thinking, she'll probably call up MS first to demand that her precious little snowflake be unbanned, then be told the criminal fuckbaggery he's been up to, thus lessening the chances of her paying for a new account.

Then there's also the loss of achievement points, saves, XBLA licenses, etc that come with having to create a new live account...

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
*sigh* And the fanboys wonder why Xbox has such a poor reputation. This is the kinda crap that ruins decent gaming folk, like myself,'s reputation!

Poopie McGhee

Über Sparrow Kicker
Aug 26, 2009
Wow... Some people...
It's sad really

EDIT: aparrently they can ban consoles too... http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/79196-Microsoft-Xbox-360-Hacker-Hunt-Continues
AHH, the power of the Banhammer.

Oct 5, 2009
Pathetic. Absolutely pathetic.

"Ommmuhhhgawwwwd!!!1!11111! You beat me! I'm gonna get revenge by sending you a message! Wait! No, I have a better idea... HAAAAACK!"

Losers.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Through my 1000+ games of Halo I've only run into three cases like that. Twice I was the victim in BTB so I have no idea who did it. The third time the booter was on my team. He told the team to cover him while he booted half of the enemy team, sure enough he did. My inner sense of justice came to me to plug in my mic and voice my disapproval of it. He said that he had the skills to host-boot so he deserved to win. After prying some more he started saying it was just "for fun". Finally he threatened to boot me and I told him to go ahead. And he did. I send a PM to the head Bungie online multiplayer overlord (Shishka, for those who know) and got him banned. Booyah.

Anywho godspeed to Microsoft on solving this problem any way they can. It's tampering with other people's property so I bet they could press charges on some of them if they wanted.