Diablo 3's Necromancer Class Now Avalaible For Closed Beta Testing

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Diablo 3's Necromancer Class Now Avalaible For Closed Beta Testing

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1359/1359292.jpg
You may have already been selected to participate in the Diablo 3 Necromancer closed beta test.

Today, Blizzard kicks off the closed beta testing period for its upcoming Beta Profile Settings [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168768-Diablo-3-Necromancer-Class-Pack#&gid=gallery_6609&pid=1] and checking the box next to Diablo 3.

For those of you hoping that the Necromancer will eventually go into open beta so you can "try before you buy," Blizzard has specifically stated that the beta will remain closed for its entire duration, and the only way to get in is to either opt in, or be a "key member of the community". Beta testers are chosen according to their system specifications, in-game activity, and other factors, including an element of luck.

Full instructions for transferring characters, and other bits and bobs about the beta such as patch notes, can be read here [https://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/20698502/necromancer-beta-now-live-4-11-2017].

[gallery=7192]

The "Rise of the Necromancer Pack", announced at BlizzCon 2016, will include the male and female Necromancer class, a pet, two new character slots, and two new stash tabs. along with a portrait frame, pennant, banner shape, and sigil. It will be released in the second half of 2017 for an as of yet undisclosed price.

Source: Blizzard [https://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/20698502/necromancer-beta-now-live-4-11-2017]

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
A buddy of mine was saying something about the price being around $35...if that turns out to be true, then Blizzard can fuck right off.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
RJ 17 said:
A buddy of mine was saying something about the price being around $35...if that turns out to be true, then Blizzard can fuck right off.
$35?? That's fucked mate. I would pay at the very most $15. $10 would be acceptable. This is already a five year old game at this point...

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
RJ 17 said:
$35?? That's fucked mate. I would pay at the very most $15. $10 would be acceptable. This is already a five year old game at this point...
Seriously. At this point it is 100% rumor mill (probably not even worth saying that), so take it with the tiniest grain of salt. Just saying what I had heard last night from a friend on Discord.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
im really late to it but i picked it up a couple of days ago. im actually enjoying it more than diablo 2 and thats saying something

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Both male AND female necromancer class?
That's DOUBLE the content! 29.99$!

In all fairness they will have to do a lot more to D3 before i care about that game again, starting with some decent pvp. I wouldn't pay more than a fiver for this and even then i'd consider it.

Mar 30, 2010
I was always a bit puzzled by the Necromancer class in D2. I mean it was a cool class and all, and used properly could be next to unstoppable, but it just didn't make sense. You can understand knights and paladins and druids and monks risking their lives to stop the powers of evil, but necromancers? Evil mages who harness the souls of the dead to spread evil and corruption fighting evil and corruption? From a mechanical sense the Necro was awesome, but from a thematic point of view it was completely arse over tit.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Grouchy Imp said:
I was always a bit puzzled by the Necromancer class in D2. I mean it was a cool class and all, and used properly could be next to unstoppable, but it just didn't make sense. You can understand knights and paladins and druids and monks risking their lives to stop the powers of evil, but necromancers? Evil mages who harness the souls of the dead to spread evil and corruption fighting evil and corruption? From a mechanical sense the Necro was awesome, but from a thematic point of view it was completely arse over tit.
http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Priests_of_Rathma

The entire point of the necromancers in the Diablo universe is that they subvert a lot of the tropes you just mentioned.

Mar 30, 2010
Hawki said:
Grouchy Imp said:
http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Priests_of_Rathma

The entire point of the necromancers in the Diablo universe is that they subvert a lot of the tropes you just mentioned.
Huh, well I guess I take it all back. Seems that Diablo necromancers behave in many ways like D&D druids (and I expect my experience with D&D necromancers may well have coloured my perception of them).

Ta, that was an interesting read.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Grouchy Imp said:
Dont have to be evil to be a necromancer. Its really a matter of how you obtain the bodies. Murdering villagers to raise a legion of dead to conquer the word may be evil, but using dead demons to kill living demons to protect the living doesnt seem so evil.

Mar 30, 2010
Saelune said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Dont have to be evil to be a necromancer. Its really a matter of how you obtain the bodies. Murdering villagers to raise a legion of dead to conquer the word may be evil, but using dead demons to kill living demons to protect the living doesnt seem so evil.
I guess it depends on whether a raised body is animated purely through magic (not really that evil) or if the body's soul is harnessed from the afterlife and bound into service (pretty evil). I don't really know that much about Diablo lore to say one way or the other, but from the article Hawki linked it seems like it's more likely to be the former.

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
New class, nothing else changing about the game, that offers you a whole new season (3 months) of additional play time.
Realistically, Blizzard would need a new class coming out every year if this is part of the solution to some of Diablo's biggest problems.

Most ARPGs are "level defines your character, items define it's power" and D3 has it "items define your character, paragons define it's power".
They should move set bonuses to paragons, start characters at level 70 because the grind and everything in between is meaningless, make rares the only item you can equip (with item level 70~72 to be equal to ancient and primal), and just have legendaries be an extra slot for the paperdoll. That way you get the legendary affix you want and you can still swap around items you get. Reduce legendary drops to T1 seeing as you only really need to find 'your item' once, not 1000 times.

senaji

Sep 28, 2014
I admit that I do not quite understand why they make it a closed beta and not a simple open PTR. Yet it seems to me that previous Diablo PTR sessions have been rather fruitful in feedback. I hope that they will open up soon enough in the time to more people because more there are people more the release will be completed and will meet the expectations of the community. After all, it is in their interest.