EA Chief: Recession Is A "Blessing For The Game Industry"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA Chief: Recession Is A "Blessing For The Game Industry"

Electronic Arts [http://www.ea.com] Chief John Riccitiello says the tough times facing the industry are a "blessing in disguise" because it will force a lot of "riffraff" out of business and clear the way for genuine innovation and creativity.

Speaking at the 2009 DICE Summit [http://www.dicesummit.org/], Riccitiello said he believes the current economic turmoil will ultimately help strengthen and focus the industry when it finally ends. "I actually think the economic crisis that the world moved into in 2008 was a blessing for the game industry," he told the audience. "First of all, a lot of the riffraff is going to go out of business... It's hard to compete with junk especially when they're giving it away for free."

And while the "riffraff" comment might seem harsh, he saved some criticism for matters closer to home as well. "We did get fat in too many places. It seemed like anyone who could draw a guy with a gun with a crayon could get funded," he said. "At least for EA, we got a little too fat, and a little too reliant on where things were."

As a result of the soured economy, he added, that fat now has to be trimmed. His plan is simple: "Start by deciding what's important," he said. "Invest heavily in those programs. And cut the rest."

It may sound cold, particularly to EA employees who find themselves on the fatty side of the cleaver [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88323-EA-Announces-More-Cuts-And-Closures], but under the circumstances there's little Riccitiello can do but put on a brave face and try to ensure that EA comes out of the current downturn as healthy as it can possibly be. A "cull the herd" mentality may not win him many friends, at least not among people who aren't shareholders in EA, but he may have a point: Recession-driven changes in the industry may eventually prove beneficial to gamers.

Not that this is the sort of scenario he'd choose to be in, of course. "I'm not pro-recession," he added, "but to quote Rahm Emanuel [http://www.whitehouse.gov/administration/staff/rahm_emanuel/], 'Never waste a crisis'."

Sources: MTV Multiplayer [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=22394/]

spyrewolf

Jan 7, 2009
First of all, a lot of the riffraff is going to go out of business... It's hard to compete with junk especially when they're giving it away for free."
"Hi i'm the kettle and mr pot, you sir are black!"

dude seriously this came out of EA's mouth haha, but to be fair, EA have been steadily improving over last yeah but they need to take a harder look at games, and not give us pre-packaged balls in a different wrapper

Rezfon

Feb 25, 2008
spyrewolf said:
First of all, a lot of the riffraff is going to go out of business... It's hard to compete with junk especially when they're giving it away for free."
"Hi i'm the kettle and mr pot, you sir a black!"
quoted for truth

Dechef

Feb 7, 2008
"Riffraff"
Translation, small companies with great ideas but not the money to realise them because of said recession and big hulks in the industry like EA stealing their thunder.
I do not like this guy.
"Clearing the way for Genuine innovation" my ass... Sports game 20XX =/= innovation.

shadow_pirate22

Aug 25, 2008
Funny that EA is saying stuff about people making crappy games...
Hahaha..
No, actually some of the games with their name on it are fun. Battlefield and SSX Tricky come to mind immediately.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
As a result of the soured economy, he added, that fat now has to be trimmed. His plan is simple: "Start by deciding what's important," he said. "Invest heavily in those programs. And cut the rest."
Lies.

His plan is - release a half-assed game, then make as much money as possible before the game starts getting bad publicity (Mirror's Edge) or they start losing fanbase (Warhammer).

As always.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
That's odd, whenever one is discussing "thinning the herd" it's usually the sick and weak that die first. Then the big ones who need million dollar profits all the time. It's the small efficient creatures that can survive on reasonable profit figures in times of crisis.

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
If they are giving the "junk" away for free already, it stands to reason that the economy isn't going to affect their profits very much. I think the riff-raff are going to do just fine. And as usual, JR is talking out his ass. If I were on the EA board, I'd be telling him to shut the hell up and stop talking to the press or he's outta there.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Electronic Arts Chief John Riccitiello says the tough times facing the industry are a "blessing in disguise" because it will force a lot of "riffraff" out of business and clear the way for genuine innovation and creativity.

That is comming from the same company that releases the same 2 games every year, Madden and NHL, ok buddy stop talking out of your ass.

By the way, changing the button layout or adding one movie is not innovative at all.

Ronwue

Oct 22, 2008
I fell off my chair laughing. This guy seriously believes that he's loosing sales because people prefer indie games because they're cheaper or free? If your game is good, people will want to buy it, in increasing amounts as the price goes down. But if your game sucks and costs 60$, my friend go get raped with a sandpaper dildo.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
"Get rid off all the riff raff, and let EA create a gaming monopoly."

Did anyone else read that?

Angron

Jul 15, 2008
i think its been said enough but im gonna say it again, i couldnt bare to read it so i just read the first paragraph, i presume riffraff would be alot of indie games which, i must say, are a slight bit more innovative and creative than EA...

i mean i think i would have been mildly annoyed with anyone saying this but EA of all people, they havent come up with a new innovative and creative idea for about 10 years...