Star Wars Battlefront II Offline Co-Op Will be Console Exclusive

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Star Wars Battlefront II Offline Co-Op Will be Console Exclusive

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1398/1398194.jpg

Battlefront II multiplayer details are emerging.

EA lifted the veil on Star Wars Battlefront II today, sharing details on the game's singleplayer campaign [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170114-Star-Wars-Battlefront-2-launches-in-November]. We've also got some details on changes and additions to the game's multiplayer mode, along with information about offline co-op.

In a post on Xbox Wire [https://news.xbox.com/2017/04/15/star-wars-battlefront-ii-pre-order-now-xbox-one/#CMZmf1MF0xRQpCKU.99] it was revealed that local co-op will not be available on all platforms - offline split-screen co-op for two players will be exclusive to console versions of the game. This mode will allow players to earn customization rewards that can be carried over to online multiplayer.

Outside of that, EA stated that DICE "is evolving the game's multiplayer to become the ultimate Star Wars battleground."

"With modes supporting up to 40 players, Star Wars Battlefront II takes fans through a wide range of iconic locations from all three eras: prequel, classic and new trilogy, including new in-game locations such as Yavin 4's jungle canopies, the spaceport town of Mos Eisley, and Starkiller Base," a press release reads. "Players can choose from an array of land and air vehicles and master their own hero's journey, with customizable character progression across heroes, villains, troopers and starfighters."

The release also states that Criterion "has built space combat from the ground up with refined handling, weapons, and customization options. Players can drop into the cockpit of the galaxy's most iconic ships, weave between asteroid fields and fly through imperial dockyards in high stakes dogfights."

[gallery=7224]

Star Wars Battlefront II will release worldwide on November 17, 2017 for PC, Xbox One and PS4, and it appears that there will not be a season pass this time around [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/170117-Season-Pass-for-Star-Wars-Battlefront-II-May-be-No-More#&gid=gallery_7220&pid=1].

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
It was the same thing with the PS2 and XBOX releases. That said, that was 10-15 years ago, EA again is on the back foot here.

Also, I'm worried that bot matches aren't going to be playable, just like EA's first Battlefront was. That was were the biggest public outcry came from, someone needs to confirm whether or not there will be bot battles.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
I'm aware some exceptions exist, but hasn't lack of split-screen on PC versions of things been the expectation pretty much always?

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
DeliveryGodNoah said:
Jadak said:
I'm aware some exceptions exist, but hasn't lack of split-screen on PC versions of things been the expectation pretty much always?
There's no logical reason why it has to be though.
Because split-screening in PC has always been a hassle and never a big feature that was worth the time to do for developers. Especially since PC gamers tend to be hyper-protective of having their own rigs, screens etc.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
DeliveryGodNoah said:
Jadak said:
I thought it was because PC gamers don't let other people into their basements!

In all honesty, I think its to do with it being easier to get multiple controllers, rather than multiple sets of mouse and keyboard around a screen. And I'd expect to meet bigfoot before meeting a PC gamer who plays FPS with a controller.

Feb 7, 2016
Paragon Fury said:
DeliveryGodNoah said:
Jadak said:
Because split-screening in PC has always been a hassle and never a big feature that was worth the time to do for developers. Especially since PC gamers tend to be hyper-protective of having their own rigs, screens etc.
Is it really that much of a larger hassle than getting it to work on consoles in the first place if the game already had controller support and they get the game to run on PC?

Nov 28, 2007
I was about to be baffled, and then I saw it was specifically referencing split-screen co-op. Which I've never seen really work on a PC, so it makes sense to have that be only on consoles.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Split screen on a PC isn't much of a thing anyway, so no loss there. I mean, while people do have larger screens than in previous years, generally speaking a monitor in the low-to-mid 20 inches range is AFAIK the average and for splitscreen would be harder to play on. Again, yes I'm aware there are those who use HDTV's as a main monitor (myself included) but I've always felt split-screen is more a console thing anyway.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
DeliveryGodNoah said:
Jadak said:
Except for the part while PCs certainly can be set up in front of a decent screen and decent furniture and some controllers connected, the typical setup involves a desk, keyboard and mouse generally setup for a single user on a chair.

None of that has to be true, but it generally is and I can't say I'd blame anyone for not targeting that.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Borty The Bort said:
It was the same thing with the PS2 and XBOX releases. That said, that was 10-15 years ago, EA again is on the back foot here.

Also, I'm worried that bot matches aren't going to be playable, just like EA's first Battlefront was. That was were the biggest public outcry came from, someone needs to confirm whether or not there will be bot battles.
I dunno- it was a fierce four horse race between lack of proper bot support/instant action, lack of galactic conquest, single era only, and no space battles. Time will tell which of those BFII will leave out, but the point has always been they should have been there in the first place if the decade-old precursor had them.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
I mean, a PC game having local co-op always just comes as a huge surprise to me, so this wasn't really unexpected. There's plenty of things I'm worried about, especially after the first one, but this isn't one of them.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
As long as the mode itself is playable with a friend who has a copy, I don't mind. If they withhold it, that would be shitty.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Ok...I get that split-screen on PC is...well, rarely ever done. But is it really necessary to remove it? If just one...two people take advantage of it, and it was already there, isnt it then a dick move to keep it out?

Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
DeliveryGodNoah said:
Jadak said:
Not many LAN parties happening these days. It'd be nice to have but I understand not wanting to make a mode that a large portion of the PC community doesn't use. Like, it was nice that Rainbow Six Seige had it, but it wasn't in DOOM and no one really found it to be a reason not to buy the game.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
That's not surprising. I would like PC version to get something exclusive though. Bots and dedicated servers. So in essence, just the features that a multiplayer PC game should have. I don't want my enjoyment of the game to depend on matchmaking and real players. I loved playing Battlefront 2 with bots back in the day more than I did with real players and I want that option now.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Paragon Fury said:
It's not that difficult to plug two XBox controllers into a PC and get going with the multiplayer.

Duck Game with 4 players on the same screen is hilarious.

thenewguy512739

Feb 14, 2017
The weird thing is that if they didn't mention it, I wouldn't have given it thought: nowadays, no splitscreen is part for the course even on console. However, now I won't stop noticing it; if Serious Sam could have 4-player splitscreen, why not this?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
fix-the-spade said:
Paragon Fury said:
It's not that difficult to plug two XBox controllers into a PC and get going with the multiplayer.

Fucking this.

The notion that PC players don't want local, single-machine co-op is as absurd as the notion that it's somehow "a hassle" to code split-screen into a PC game.

It's fucking 2017. PC gaming, and PC-centric services, far outnumber all of the consoles install and user bases. Why the actual fuck are these moronic stereotypes still adhered to by publishers?

Sep 14, 2009
Vigormortis said:
fix-the-spade said:
Paragon Fury said:

Fucking this.

The notion that PC players don't want local, single-machine co-op is as absurd as the notion that it's somehow "a hassle" to code split-screen into a PC game.

It's fucking 2017. PC gaming, and PC-centric services, far outnumber all of the consoles install and user bases. Why the actual fuck are these moronic stereotypes still adhered to by publishers?
funny thing is I remember fucking with portal 2 for this exact reason, don't remember the specifics, but I got it setup so one persons screen was on the tv and my screen was on the monitor, worked great after setting up so my brother had his 360 controller to be my partner.

besides the single player campaign though, I only ask for bots and galactic conquest mode....please, EA, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, JUST DO IT: