Star Wars Battlefront II's Story is by Spec Ops: The Line Writer

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Star Wars Battlefront II's Story is by Spec Ops: The Line Writer

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1398/1398192.jpg
Walt Williams, the writer behind Spec Ops: The Line will be penning Battlefront II's story.

One of the biggest takeaways from EA Game's reveal of full singleplayer campaign [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/battlefront%20ii?os=battlefront+ii]. Well, we now know who has written that story: none other than Walt Williams, the man behind the critically acclaimed Spec Ops: The Line.

"Excited to finally reveal what Mitch Dyer and I have been working on for the last year," Tweeted [https://twitter.com/waltdwilliams/status/853325851936657410] Williams. "Can't wait for you to meet Inferno Squad."

The Battlefront II campaign will pick up after the events in Return of the Jedi, with players primarily assuming the role of Iden Versio, an Imperial elite special forces soldier.

"We wanted to create a campaign that told a story we haven't seen before in Star Wars," says Mark Thompson, Game Director at Motive Studios. "It was important for us to tell a new authentic story, one that gives players a brand-new perspective. By putting players in the boots of an elite member of the Imperial forces, we can show them what the battle was like from the other side."

Spec Ops: The Line, released in 2012 for the Xbox 360, PC and PlayStation 3, was praised by critics for its narrative and themes.

Source: Twitter [https://twitter.com/waltdwilliams/status/853325851936657410]

Mikeybb

Nunc est Durandum
Aug 19, 2014
I hope they give him room to work.

SpecOps the line had a great story.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
So will it have lots of 4th wall breaking that ridicules kids for feeling like a hero for playing military shooters?

And split people apart on how the middle part was executed?

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
spec ops was an amazing game. all ending were memorable and the story was captivating. if they keep this as well for battlefront 2, i think i may pay full price for it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
008Zulu said:
I hope the game turns out something like this;
You hope the game turns out like an eight minute animation with no dialogue or story beyond "Imperial's wrecking the Rebel's shit"?

Don't get me wrong, it's a nifty animation, but that seems like a case of wanting an apple to turn out like an orange.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
There are 5 different Battlefront II 'news' topics in 2 days. Be honest Escapist, is this sponsored content?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Elijin said:
There are 5 different Battlefront II 'news' topics in 2 days. Be honest Escapist, is this sponsored content?
...That is alot of Star Wars.

Could just be a grab for traffic though.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Time to feel bad for shooting people. I fucking get it I'm not a plebeian, just handle it well and we can all get along.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Elijin said:
Bills gotta be paid i guess. I try to avoid such observation in posts, but it's certainly getting a bit blatant and harder to ignore.

OT: Am interested, sort of just like Titanfall; no interest in the first, but will keep an patient eye on the sequel.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
I have zero interest in a SW BF (or a BF of any kind), but Spec Ops was incredible, so if this is true I'll at least keep a sometimes beady eye on it, and if it turns out to be decent I may eventually get it about two years later, massively discounted (because I assume the 'campaign' will be five to eight hours long short, and be puddle shallow).

Bedinsis

Elite Member
Legacy
Escapist +
May 29, 2014
Country
Sweden
So they have a writer whose previous work includes a game which actually had a good story?

I can only see this as a good thing.

Johnny Novgorod said:
"Do you feel like a Jedi yet?"
*snort* I don't think they'll go there, but that was a funny reference.

thenewguy512739

Feb 14, 2017
While I believe this will be good for the game, I get a strong feeling that this is stunt casting (except, y'know, for writers).

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Well, if there's any game writer that can make me actually maybe feel some sort of...understanding for an elite unit of stormtroopers, this guy will be the one. Spec Ops: The Line punched me in the gut so hard that I had to stop playing for a bit because I felt physically ill at 'the part'.