New Dawn of War III Dev Diary Shows Off Multiplayer Tactics

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
New Dawn of War III Dev Diary Shows Off Multiplayer Tactics

Just ahead of this weekend's open beta, there's a new dev diary that focuses on multiplayer tactics.

Relic is kicking off the Dawn of War III open beta this weekend - it runs April 21-24 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169987-Warhammer-40-000-Dawn-of-War-3-Open-Beta-Dates] - and to help you prepare yourself, the developer has released a new developer diary video. It features game director Philippe Boulle and game designer Carolina Mastretta offering up suggestions on the best tactics to use in the game's multiplayer battles.

The video includes some tips and tricks that might just come in handy the first time you find yourself directing the affairs of the Space Marines, Orks and Eldar.

If you haven't signed up for the open beta yet, there's still time. You can find the signups over on the official Dawn of War III website [http://www.dawnofwar.com/beta].

[gallery=7237]

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
The graphics are still terrible and the whole thing feels designed and rushed by people who at best have never played 40k, and at worst actively hate it.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Silentpony said:
The graphics are still terrible and the whole thing feels designed and rushed by people who at best have never played 40k, and at worst actively hate it.
You sound like someone who has never seen 40k. Just heard about it from the dank depths of the web.

This is what 40k looks like in art.

Whats that? Color? Are your eyes bleeding yet?

"But" I hear you say, "Its a mini game"
True, have some minis

Holy shit, more color!

Its like your doomed to not be grey and brown.

Don't worry, I have a cure for you.
Here

Its a call of duty screen shot. That will transport you to the grey brown land you so desire.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Worgen said:
You do realize little one I am the most avid 40k player on this entire website, right? I've been playing for decades. 40k, the card game, the other card game, Necromunda, Epic, the other other card game, the board games, the expansions to the board games, the other board games, all the video games, the d100, and the d20.
Not to mention I wrote a bunch of the Lexicanum articles.

So you're barking at the wrong tree little one, 'cause this is also 40k art:

Not the 50 shades of grey! And the dark, Gothic lighting and tones.

And look at these actual models

Maybe next time you should double-check to make sure you're not posting pictures of Legos.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Silentpony said:
Worgen said:
You do realize little one I am the most avid 40k player on this entire website, right? I've been playing for decades. 40k, the card game, the other card game, Necromunda, Epic, the other other card game, the board games, the expansions to the board games, the other board games, all the video games, the d100, and the d20.

Maybe next time you should double-check to make sure you're not posting pictures of Legos.
Pshaw. I deride your alleged knowledge of 40k. If you actually knew 40k then you would not say such of the one company that reliable makes great 40k games. Unless you're one of THOSE guys. The kind that take 40k seriously. The kind that goes into conniptions from the sight of hellokitty 40k.

or of the true emperor.

What are those, Death Eagles? Seriously, did you set out to look for the most "13 year old badass" looking chapter you could find?

You do realize gamesworkshops poster boy chapter is this.

and one of their other big ones is this.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Silentpony said:
You do realize little one I am the most avid 40k player on this entire website, right?
Oh, that's quite a claim.

In any case:

Silentpony said:
the whole thing feels designed and rushed by people who at best have never played 40k, and at worst actively hate it.
That sounds like a proper 40k product to me.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Worgen said:
...Death Eagles.

Death Eagles.

DEATH EAGLES!! [http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Black_Templars]

Seriously, kid, if you have ever spent even 10mins in a Games Workshop you'd have known.

Ya' don't know. I doubt you even played Space Marine, the most mainstream and AAA of the 40k games. Because of this

Look, believe whatever you want about 40k. Its about as knowledgeable as your understanding of particle physics, Turko-Germanic films, racial-baking science and bowling alley management.

So good luck with your Legos.

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Thaluikhain said:
In any case:

Silentpony said:
the whole thing feels designed and rushed by people who at best have never played 40k, and at worst actively hate it.
That sounds like a proper 40k product to me.
Heresy! The last 2 Dawn of war games were really good. There was also Space Marine, where you played as an Ultra-smurf. There's a lot of shit too, but this is par with the course for licensed games

Renegade-pizza

Jul 26, 2010
Worgen said:
Silentpony said:
Worgen said:

Pshaw. I deride your alleged knowledge of 40k. If you actually knew 40k then you would not say such of the one company that reliable makes great 40k games. Unless you're one of THOSE guys. The kind that take 40k seriously. The kind that goes into conniptions from the sight of hellokitty 40k.

or of the true emperor.

What are those, Death Eagles? Seriously, did you set out to look for the most "13 year old badass" looking chapter you could find?

You do realize gamesworkshops poster boy chapter is this.

and one of their other big ones is this.
Frankly, any sufficiently large fanbase grows pretty weird over time. I literally watched a battle report where a guy had replaced his ultamarines' heads with smurfs and changed their drop pods into mushrooms...The Emperor has forsaken us

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
I think the graphics look bad, but not because they're bright, I paint my minis mostly bright[footnote]My Imperial Fist Legion, Tyranids, Daemons & my Eldar are all in bright colours[/footnote], I think the graphics look bad because the guys are tiny and the battlefields look boring.

The gameplay also looks terrible, I got every other Dawn of War game the day it came out but this one looks like one I'm going to skip.

Aug 31, 2012
Worgen said:
Silentpony said:
Bah, all these fuckin whelps arguing about what 40k should look like.

*incoherent old Grognard grumbling ensues...following fire...hrblhrblhrb....full statlines...asrghdakah...Imperial Guard jump troops with vortex grenades...*

Well, the gameplay might be the thing to save it. Maybe. It looks like it's a bit too close to DoW 1, which feels dated now. Still, will have to actually play it, it might be really fun, but I'm definitely not optimistic.

Looks wise...yeah, the levels so far have looked really dull. Far from being too bright, I think the whole thing is too dark. WTF is going on in most of those pictures? Have the Eldar, Orks and Imperium come to an accord to only fight battles at night? Picking out the units is a total mare, which the scale doesn't help with at all. That said, once you add the UI elements it game it helps a lot. Eh..., I dunno, I'll just have to wait to see what the full release looks like.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Half the fun of the tabletop game is watching two people get in to a fight because one player measures his ranged attacks from the tip of the barrel, rather than the base like you're supposed to.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Silentpony said:
Thaluikhain said:
I am prepared to defend my claim, and Chaos Gate was a good 40k game.
They don't all suck.
It was, Final Liberation as well. There are probably users who've read this thread who aren't as old as those games.

008Zulu said:
Half the fun of the tabletop game is watching two people get in to a fight because one player measures his ranged attacks from the tip of the barrel, rather than the base like you're supposed to.
TBF, GW keeps changing those rules.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Silentpony said:
Worgen said:
...Death Eagles.

Death Eagles.

DEATH EAGLES!! [http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Black_Templars]

Seriously, kid, if you have ever spent even 10mins in a Games Workshop you'd have known.

Ya' don't know. I doubt you even played Space Marine, the most mainstream and AAA of the 40k games. Because of this

Look, believe whatever you want about 40k. Its about as knowledgeable as your understanding of particle physics, Turko-Germanic films, racial-baking science and bowling alley management.

So good luck with your Legos.
Whatever mr death eagles. You could have taken that time to link a cool chapter like the Salamanders, or an overrated but still fun Space Wolfs.

You do realize that Space Marine was done by Relic. The same company that made this game.

OH holy crap, that was legos. Thats fucken awesome.

Probably cost less than the real kits too.

Sep 24, 2008
The amount of things that seem to have been sliced from the game is what sets me off most, let alone no talk about these things from the developer.

One of the major things I liked seeing from replays is who was going to go into battle using what. This player will use a SM Force Commander and he will be rocking a Thunder Hammer with Speed Armor. That's different from my standard Power Fist and Artificer Armor, but maybe they have something up their sleeve that I don't know. I can learn from his picks and see if I need to incorporate it in my play. So far, all we've seen is Angelos with the Godsplitter. No talk about different weapons or personal loadouts. Our super unique and game changing hero units are going to be the same every time they are picked. That distresses me. Potential Strike 1 for desire to see multiplayer matches

In fact, I had a LOT of fun with the single player picking up new gear for my units in DoW 2. It was the perfect blend of diablo-style loot that kept me trying more missions to see if I was going to get more powerful gear. Hell, getting war gear in DoW 1 by completing tasks was a great reward in and of itself. Since it wasn't talked about and Heroes seem to never have anything but their bog-standard weapons, I guess that's another element removed from the game. Potential Strike 1 for interest or replayability Single Player.

To even have to go into the fact that this is the lowest number of starting races ever in a Dawn of war will be an insult to me having to type it and all of you having to read it for the thousandth time. I've seen nothing that makes me believe this can be anything but a detraction, and the fact that I'm not seeing so much detail as in specialty ammunition or specialty weapons (like Multi-meltas or Grav weapons) for squads makes me feel that we're not even getting hyper focused armies due to the lack of races. Strike 1 for the whole game, due to if you are specializing then you better be going all out. DoW1 Tact marines had Flamers, Plasma, Heavy Bolters and Missile launchers. DoW 2 Tacts had Flamers, Missile Launchers, and Plasma. Now DoW 3 Tacts have just Flamers and Plasma? Less is more, right? No Combi-weapons, Storm Shields, or Melta, because who needs them?

No talk of other modes for skirmish or multiplayer really just puts me off. I won't talk about what we've seen in a Beta is a moba or not, but it doesn't interest me. And the fact that we have base building but we don't have defensive structures makes so little sense to me, it's a Strike 2 for the whole game.

If they add Last Stand Mode for this game.... I mean, can they even? This goes back to my gear question if there aren't different weapons for our heroes. This shouldn't be a question literally seven days before the release, but yet I still have to ask. The lack of different gear for our heroes strips away Last Stand Mode, something that a lot of people treasured. That's a strike for Multiplayer in general.

The fact that a lot of these things were just held off for DLC should be a number of strikes on its own.

And the animation and art style isn't appealing to me at all. There. People say no one talks about anything but the art and animations... hell, I dislike them, but there are so many other things that bother or worry me due to the lack of information that no one talks about.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Still no Chaos? Still no sale.
Also hot damn, this thread great. Post more art guys.
Zykon TheLich said:
Bah, all these fuckin whelps arguing about what 40k should look like.

MORE FUCKING BEAKIES

Sep 24, 2008
More art, you say?

I love this picture because it reminds me of how Woolie from the Best Friends would want to go out if he had to choose. I love the Salamanders. They are my favorite chapter. One of the only chapters that cares for humanity. How they recruit. Weaponry and Armor. I love it.

Second favorite are my Black Templar. You have some shit that isn't fucked up? They are here to remedy that.

I don't have to explain the Legion of the Damned, right? You can see them, right?

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
Nice thread everyone : )

Oh table top days, where have you gone...

Ok for some fun WH40K audio lines:

He who stands with me shall be my brother.

Do you hear the voices, too?!

Ah so many good ones, and one of my favorites...

Drive me closer, I want to hit them with my sword!

Aug 31, 2012
LegendaryGamer0 said:
MORE FUCKING BEAKIES

PS RPS review:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/04/20/warhammer-40000-dawn-of-war-3-review/

TLDR: RPS thinks Multiplayer good, campaign shit.