#171: A Flash of Light

enginieri

Apr 1, 2015
Ummm I'm more of an D&D guy, what kind of "angelic"? spell in FF-verse has the effect/side-effect of disintegrate/sublimate crystals?

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
enginieri said:
Ummm I'm more of an D&D guy, what kind of "angelic"? spell in FF-verse has the effect/side-effect of disintegrate/sublimate crystals?
I am guessing they are going for the Great Gospel from FFVII. I do not remember if it healed status effects though if it did I guess crystal possession is just a status effect?

lazinesslord

Jun 13, 2010
enginieri said:
It could be Esuna.

ChaplainOrion

Nov 7, 2011
I'm going to bet it's meant to be a healing spell, but she messes up so everyone gets sick and throws up instead.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
ChaplainOrion said:
I'm going to bet it's meant to be a healing spell, but she messes up so everyone gets sick and throws up instead.
So long as the end result is the same I don't think it will matter too much if she buggers it up.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Prime_Hunter_H01 said:
enginieri said:
I am guessing they are going for the Great Gospel from FFVII. I do not remember if it healed status effects though if it did I guess crystal possession is just a status effect?
Well, the comic already riffs on FFVII a lot anyway, so I'm pretty sure that is indeed a Great Gospel expy, minus the rain.

And yeah, IIRC, Great Gospel fully heals HP and MP, removes all bad status effects, revives all KO'd party members and gives temporary invincibility.

BramStoker

Jan 21, 2009
What happens to Bad Guy and Gunny if the crystal elements are burned out of them - they've both got pretty serious, nay life threatening injuries that seem to be sustained by the crystal power...

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
Heartless Angel maybe? As a healer she's messed up enough to be casting Boss Nukes

Kurt91

Feb 16, 2017
Country
United States
Chimpzy said:
Prime_Hunter_H01 said:
enginieri said:
Well, the comic already riffs on FFVII a lot anyway, so I'm pretty sure that is indeed a Great Gospel expy, minus the rain.

And yeah, IIRC, Great Gospel fully heals HP and MP, removes all bad status effects, revives all KO'd party members and gives temporary invincibility.
Also, to clarify to enginieri, Great Gospel is a type of attack called a Limit Break. It just means that it's a special type of attack that usually takes multiple battles to charge a single use. Just wanted to clear it up, in case it sounded too overpowered to make any sort of sense.

CyanCat47_v1legacy

Nov 26, 2014
Prime_Hunter_H01 said:
enginieri said:

That's a bit of a paradox. Gods in FF are traditionally villains, yet angels, servants of the abrahamic god, are good. Where is the logic in that?

Solkard

Sep 29, 2014
Based on the blue bits floating off Rad and the soldier heads, it looks like she's already pulling all the crystal out of the people, possibly with some sort of restoration spell? That seems rather direct and anti-climactic. Based on the title, I thought they were going to try something like using her fire magic to create a strobe effect that made everyone nauseous and vomit as well.

Prime_Hunter_H01

Dec 20, 2011
CyanCat47 said:
That's a bit of a paradox. Gods in FF are traditionally villains, yet angels, servants of the abrahamic god, are good. Where is the logic in that?
Because it looks cool.

Christianity is not that common in Japan so a lot of times it's symbolism is just used to have a striking visual effect. An image of angels bathing someone in light may be striking but not have as much immediate meaning to them as to us. Similar to how you could show someone from the West some art of events in Buddhism and it may look amazing and inspire a want to recreate that image, though if you are not familiar with that culture most of its meaning will be lost on you.