Heroes of The Storm's Nexus Challenge is Back - Get Overwatch Skins, Lootboxes And More

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Heroes of The Storm's Nexus Challenge is Back - Get Overwatch Skins, Lootboxes And More

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1400/1400807.jpg
The Heroes of The Storm Nexus Challenge is back, allowing players to unlock rewards in both Overwatch and HoTS.

Last year, Blizzard kicked off the Heroes of The Storm Nexus Challenge [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168775-Heroes-of-The-Storms-Nexus-Challenge-Gives-6-Free-Heroes], tasking players to play 20 games with a friend and rewarding them with loot in both HoTS and Overwatch. Today, with the launch of Heroes 2.0, the Nexus Challenge is back, and while it's a little different, the same basic principle is in place: play HoTS with friends, get free stuff.

This time around, rather than simply winning 20 games all at once, it's being broken up into four weeks of five. Each week a new "quest" will offer a new set of rewards.

In the first week, which starts today, if you play five games with a friend, you'll get the Orochi Hovercycle Mount (6 color variations), Oni Genji Warbanner, Oni Spray and Oni Genji Portrait in Heroes of The Storm, and the Oni Genji Skin, Oni Genji Player Icon and Oni Genji Spray in Overwatch. These were the major rewards from the first Nexus Challenge, so if you missed out back then Blizzard have given you a second chance.

Week two, starting May 1, will reward you with the Busan Police Hovercycle Mount in HoTS and the Officer D.Va Skin for Overwatch.

[gallery=7290]

Week three starts on May 8, and rewards you with the Overwatch Nexagon Mount, Officer D.Va Banner, Badge Spray and Officer D.Va Portrait in HoTS, and the Officer D.Va Spray and Player Icon for Overwatch.

Finally, week four which starts on May 15 will award you with ten loot chests in each game, for a total of 20.

It's a bunch of cool free stuff for both games, simply from playing the game. So go out there and get it!

DaCosta

Aug 11, 2016
If I could do this by playing alone I might even consider it.

But I would never inflict a MOBA upon a friend of mine.

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
DaCosta said:

*shrugs* You can play bot games, and it still counts. Five bot games a week for four weeks is nothing.

Oni Genji was a "meh, whatever" skin to me last time this occurred, but Officer DVa is calling to me.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
DaCosta said:

They don't even have to be real friends. As long as you in-game add those randos from general chat, it will count.

Personally, I'm sad that I might miss this because they dropped Vista support, and my rig is stagnant until my tax return arrives.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
linkblade91 said:
DaCosta said:

*shrugs* You can play bot games, and it still counts. Five bot games a week for four weeks is nothing.

Oni Genji was a "meh, whatever" skin to me last time this occurred, but Officer DVa is calling to me.
It looks like that from week 2 onward (the d.va stuff and lootboxes) AI games don't count. Only week 1 (the old stuff) counts AI matches.

On the upside, you're guaranteed the skin by playing the games to completion, as opposed to trying to get one of those f***ing lootboxes to cough up that blasted mercy skin.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Damn, it's a good thing I'm one of the very few people who doesn't play D.Va OR Genji. It also helps that the skin is rather ugly...and why on Earth does she still have those stupid whiskers on her face?!

Anyway, all I want for Christmas is to not play HotS, and some Overwatch skins that are permanent. Every skin added to the game except for two (Griefhardt and Baldrich, both Reinhardt skins) are time-limited event skins, and that's not a great way to run the system.

I just hate HotS too much for me to care about the rewards.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008
I can't be the only one who thought of this when I saw the D.Va skin;

Too bad I'm not interested in HotS, and I doubt my toaster of a laptop could run it anyway (I'm a PS4 Overwatch player).
SlumlordThanatos said:
Damn, it's a good thing I'm one of the very few people who doesn't play D.Va OR Genji. It also helps that the skin is rather ugly...and why on Earth does she still have those stupid whiskers on her face?!

Anyway, all I want for Christmas is to not play HotS, and some Overwatch skins that are permanent. Every skin added to the game except for two (Griefhardt and Baldrich, both Reinhardt skins) are time-limited event skins, and that's not a great way to run the system.

I just hate HotS too much for me to care about the rewards.
I dunno, I like it. It's a departure from the usual "desu desu so kawaaaiiiiii"[footnote]Yes I know she's Korean, but the weebs don't seem to care.[/footnote] stuff that usually typifies her outfits. Also, this is the first time Ms. Song has been portrayed wearing a proper pair of pants. I was starting to wonder if she had any in her wardrobe. But yeah, the default face paint is a bit out of place here. A better alternative would have been a pair of aviator sunglasses or something.

I agree with the overabundance of "limited time only" skins. I'm starting not to care about them as much, knowing that I'll never amass enough coins to get all the ones I like for any event (I refuse to buy loot crates out of principle). For what it's worth, Blizzard has said there will be more permanent skins in the future, and they're even considering making previous event skins available again in some form.

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
I want these?

Im sure Ill be banned from the internet as a console traitor but does HOTS have controller support?

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
http://au.ign.com/articles/2017/04/26/overwatchs-heroes-of-the-storm-exclusive-skins-will-be-made-available-to-all

Turns out you can get the skins eventually without playing HotS.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Neverhoodian said:
I can't be the only one who thought of this when I saw the D.Va skin;
I guess that is a generational thing, because my first thought was of this: