Steam is Now Showing About How Long You'll Have to Wait for a Support Response

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Steam is Now Showing About How Long You'll Have to Wait for a Support Response

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1402/1402931.jpgSteam support is now displaying the typical wait time for different types of tickets on its support page.

Steam support is slow. That's a compliant that anyone who uses Steam has heard. Apparently Valve has heard it as well, as the company has begun to offer much more information and transparency about the support ticket system, how many people are using it, and what the typical wait times are.

The new service was announced in a Steam Support Stats Page [http://steamcommunity.com/games/593110/announcements/detail/1301948399251160549] is now live, and Valve says that it is "seeking to improve transparency around users' experiences getting support from us."

Perusing the stats page yields some interesting info. Steam support apparently receives between 50,000 and 100,000 support requests daily, broken down into four categories. Here's what the site says has come in over the last 24 hours as of this writing:

Refund requests: 48,258
Account Security & Recovery: 12,246
Game & Steam Technical Support: 2,163
Purchase & Billing Support: 1,979

When those tickets come in, the time required to address them can vary widely. Refund requests can take anywhere from 1.35 to 1.99 hours, but the other types of tickets have a lot more variance. Account Security and Recovery requests can take anywhere from 2.43 hours to 10.84 hours. The wait for Game and Steam Technical Support can be as brief as 1.65 hours or as long as 15.76 hours. The widest variance, though, comes from Purchase and Billing Support, which can run from 2.52 hours to 1.85 days.

Obviously, Valve wants to improve those times as much as it can, and says that its "goal going forward is to keep the backlog of requests shrinking and to be able to respond to all requests as quickly as possible." The company also says that it has "been continuously investing in staffing, training, and process improvements to that end and while we believe we've made progress we know there is always more work to be done."

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Remember when Valve made games?

OT: That is a metric fuck-ton of support requests. Luckily I've only had to deal with Steam support once or twice and they were relatively easy interactions. More transparency is cool. That obviously hasn't been Valve's typical MO.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
JUMBO PALACE said:
Remember when Valve made games?

OT: That is a metric fuck-ton of support requests. Luckily I've only had to deal with Steam support once or twice and they were relatively easy interactions. More transparency is cool. That obviously hasn't been Valve's typical MO.
M<any of those refund requests are in the. Well the automated response said no I was outside the limit but I'mma submit it manually another 5 times.

Seeing how trhe requests break down actually shows where a lot of the problems come from. Idiot users.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Thought it'd be more.

But good to know that I will finally see the infinity-sign more often. Better to know that nothing happens than to keep me in suspense.