Nintendo Announces Pokken Tournament DX for Switch, Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon for 3DS

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Nintendo Announces Pokken Tournament DX for Switch, Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon for 3DS

Nintendo's Pokemon-themed Direct stream announced Pokken Tournament DX for Switch, as well as Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon for 3DS.

If you were expecting to hear big news about a new Pokemon game for the Nintendo Switch, you got your wish this morning - sort of. In a brief, Pokemon-themed Nintendo Direct, the company announced that there is a new game coming to the Nintendo Switch - Pokken Tournament DX.

The news disappointed fans who were hoping for a reveal of an actual main-line Pokemon game for the system. The news wasn't all bad, as the new deluxe version for Switch will include five new Pokemon: Darkrai, Scizor, Empoleon, Croagunk, and Decidueye. Pokken Tournament DX is slated to release on September 22, 2017.

Also announced during the stream were Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon, both of which will be coming to the 3DS family of handhelds. These revamps will feature alternate stories, Pokemon that did not appear in the original games, and hopefully some new features as well. We expect to learn more details on these two games at E3 next week. These two games will release on November 17.

Finally, Nintendo announced that it is bringing Pokemon Gold and Silver to the 3DS Virtual Console. Both games will feature wireless communication for Link Trades and Link Battles, as well as support for the Pokemon Bank. You'll be able to grab these two games on September 22, the same day Pokken Tournament DX launches.

If you want to watch the broadcast yourself, you can find it on Nintendo's Twitch channel [https://www.twitch.tv/videos/149915435], but you should skip ahead to the 40 minute mark or so to get to the actual stream.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
...I'm cautious of Ultra Sun/Moon, since that didn't really reveal if they'd be like Crystal/Emerald or like Black and White 2. Hoping for the latter, since Black and White 2 were awesome and a sequel to the Sun/Moon games would be great to play, while a Platinum-esque game split into two different games is... not so awesome.

Still, at least they're not on the Switch, so if worst comes to worst I don't have to dump 400 bucks to play 'em.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
...and the 'fuck you, we own you' award goes to E...I mean, NINTENDO.
XD

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Ultra... Sounds like something a friend of my uncle's would say, who works at Nintendo.

Another Pokemon game for the 3DS? The 3DS could barely handle the last two iterations, the FPS going in the 10s from time to time, single digit if you go 1st person with that camera. But hey, enough people will buy that.

I guess for Nintendo, like so many things, it simply would be a sacrileg to release a main Pokemon title for the main console line. Because the internet is bad, YouTube is the devil, CDs were something coming from the gaijins (yes, SONY) and all in all, it's hip to be not as good as you could be if your name is Nintendo.

And I like Nintendo more than both other major console manufacturers. But the reason behind this degrades more and more into mere nostalgia.

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
The comments on the actual video are full of Nintendo fanboy apologists. =/

It is an outright stupid move for Nintendo not to release a real pokemon game on the switch considering how much they are trying to push the portability potential of the console.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
I feel more sure that the Switch is not a replacement for the 3DS/handhelds.

Anyways, woot for Gold/Silver.

Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon? And I thought the fan-games had terrible names. If this is like Black and White 2, then just slap a 2 on it and be clear.

I hope they fix alot of their mistakes with this. Maybe less rails? I didnt even bother reading anything in Sun to spite the game. Still beat it. Dont know what happened, dont care, didnt have to.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Wrex Brogan said:
...I'm cautious of Ultra Sun/Moon, since that didn't really reveal if they'd be like Crystal/Emerald or like Black and White 2. Hoping for the latter, since Black and White 2 were awesome and a sequel to the Sun/Moon games would be great to play, while a Platinum-esque game split into two different games is... not so awesome.

Still, at least they're not on the Switch, so if worst comes to worst I don't have to dump 400 bucks to play 'em.
From the sounds of it, it's neither and just a patched version.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
Considering the Switch sells better as a handheld you can put on a big screen than a home console on the go, Pokemon needs to migrate with a full release. This just ain't catching me.

Naldan

You Are Interested. Certainly.
Feb 25, 2015
Bindal said:
I hope they improve the performance.

On second thought, this would be a slap in the face to all previous customers. What's the point of those? It's not even on a different console!

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Naldan said:
Bindal said:

On second thought, this would be a slap in the face to all previous customers. What's the point of those? It's not even on a different console!
Honestly, I would not be surprised if that's literally just a version update sold as a new installment. So far, it sounds like that's what it will be and I bet Nintendo Fanboys are going to defend it somehow, too.
More likely is that it's more like Black and White 2, except without a new plot or main character.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
So Pokken Tournament got a Switch port.

Does this mean we'll be getting a Smash 4 port as well? Because I certainly hope so!

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Can't Nintendo just open the Virtual shop on the Switch September 22nd and have Red/Blue/Green and Gold/Silver playable on the switch as well? Please!
The only thing worse than a Pokken revamp would've been Pokemon Snap. Just my opinion :(
I played it on the WiiU and it wasn't really my cup of tea.

Cold Shiny

May 10, 2015
Bindal said:
Naldan said:
Bindal said:

Honestly, I would not be surprised if that's literally just a version update sold as a new installment. So far, it sounds like that's what it will be and I bet Nintendo Fanboys are going to defend it somehow, too.
More likely is that it's more like Black and White 2, except without a new plot or main character.
I'm not defending this direct, because I didn't like it either, but they specifically said that they will be brand new games set in Alola. They are not just patched Sun and Moon.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Hmm...that gives me a dilemma. Do I go with Ultra Sun, to finally realize my dream of bringing Fimbulwinter onto Alola (aka, ice monotype run)? Or Ultra Moon so I can play normally and not get blindsided by story inconsistencies like when I went from Black 1 to White 2 ("Wait, N? When the hell did you get Reshiram?!")?

Have to say, I don't mind this dilemma.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
NeutralDrow said:
Hmm...that gives me a dilemma. Do I go with Ultra Sun, to finally realize my dream of bringing Fimbulwinter onto Alola (aka, ice monotype run)? Or Ultra Moon so I can play normally and not get blindsided by story inconsistencies like when I went from Black 1 to White 2 ("Wait, N? When the hell did you get Reshiram?!")?

Have to say, I don't mind this dilemma.
I got Black 2 cause I got White and wanted the different pokemon. However they switched the legendaries on me, so I ended up with 2 Zekrom, and that was annoying.

I hope they dont do that with this one. If the two regular main legendaries are capturable in this (presuming those arent just alternate forms of them), I hope they dont switch em but not the other exclusive pokemon.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
I guess a mainline Pokemon game on the Switch will have to wait until next year

It's similar to when they released Black&White V2 on the DS after the 3DS came out a few months ago before going for the 3DS with X and Y. Shame that unlike that time, there won't be backwards compatibility this time around.