New Zealand Artists Exhibits DS Paintings

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
New Zealand Artists Exhibits DS Paintings

A pair of New Zealand artists are showing off two collections of pictures drawn entirely on Nintendo's duel-screen handheld.

Christian Pearce and Greg Broadmore used a homebrew painting application called 'Colors' [http://colors.collectingsmiles.com/], which is also now available on the iPhone, to create two lots of 99 images. The collections, entitled '99 Dodgy Falls', made up entirely of nude women slipping on banana peels, and '99 Killer Sleds, an assortment of hot-rods that never were.

But why 99 images? Well the artists explained it thus:

"The premise behind the 99DS series is a simple one - pick a subject, draw it 99 times and hit save. And why 99? That's how many save slots Colors supports, and also coincides with the point at which one entertains thoughts of stylus-based seppuku."

The exhibition is open until the 27th Ferbruary at the Civic Square in Wellington. For those of you not planning a trip to New Zealand in the next week however, the images can also be seen here [http://www.99ds.net/].

Source: Offworld [http://www.offworld.com/2009/02/99-problems-new-zealands-ds-ho.html]

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Three cheers for creativity through illegal software!

Don't know where I'd be without Colors, beats carrying a laptop and Wacom round all day, or a sketchbook and paints...

This-is-Hip-Hop

Feb 21, 2009
Amazing, they drew those cars on a DS touchpad? I can hardly draw a circle to its precise specifications. And these people from New Zealand can get that out of they stylus.

Simply the most amazing development since the Flight of the Chonchords, Bravo barely know country!

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
fullmetalangel said:
It's even more amazing when people can pull that off with a mouse. *sighs* I need a tablet.
The paint-o-brick?

Tablets don't cost very much you know, the basic Wacom ones are fairly cheap, certainly cheap enough to ask for for a birthday without feeling spoilt.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
I managed to get an A4 tablet for about £30. It's not a Wacom, but for that price I wasn't complaining.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
Why aren't there more collections comprised only of art involving naked women slipping on banana peels?

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
This-is-Hip-Hop said:
Amazing, they drew those cars on a DS touchpad? I can hardly draw a circle to its precise specifications. And these people from New Zealand can get that out of they stylus.

Simply the most amazing development since the Flight of the Chonchords, Bravo barely know country!
I'm really surprised to how can you make things like that on something like a DS pad ??

the most i ever painted on it was by Penning the whole screen ;)

Izakflashman

Dec 18, 2008
Heh, suprise suprise its in wellington, Home of odd arty sideshows. Ha ha.
This makes me sorta want to get colours now. But I'm to busy using A1 sheets of expensive paper to worry about it. Lol