The Next Hearthstone Expansion is Titled Knights of the Frozen Throne and Features Death Knights

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
The Next Hearthstone Expansion is Titled Knights of the Frozen Throne and Features Death Knights

Blizzard has announced the Hearthstone: Knights of the Frozen Throne expansion, which will add Death Knights to the card game.

Next month will bring a new expansion for Blizzard's collectible card game, Hearthstone. Titled Knights of the Frozen Throne, the new add-on will bring Death Knights to the card table. Players will head to the frozen north of Azeroth, Northrend, where they'll attempt to assault the Icecrown Citadel and control The Frozen Throne.

Death Knights will be transformed versions of the game's current heroes. Thanks to nine new legendary hero cards, your heroes will get frost-covered armor and new, colder-themed versions of their powers. Blizzard is also adding a new ability, Lifesteal, that will let you heal yourself by dealing damage.

The expansion will bring with it new free missions that any player can undertake. These missions will send you into Icecrown Citadel to take on bosses familiar to World of Warcraft players, like Professor Putricide and Sindragosa. There's also a new prologue mission that will reward players with a random legendary Death Knight card.

If you want to get in on the new expansion early, Blizzard is offering up 50-pack bundles for pre-order [https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/hearthstone-knights-of-the-frozen-throne]. You can only purchase one per account, and it will set you back $49.99.

[gallery=7549]

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Damn it. I bemoaned that Last Night in Karazhan looked too silly even by Hearthstone's standards, but now...now I'm missing pirates riding parrots. :(

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Maybe Warlock will actually be playable again after this?

Maybe?

No?

Okay...

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
Blizzard/Hearthstone creative meeting:

Guy 1: "Arthas is such an important WC character; what if for the next expansion, we make him the tenth class? The 'Death Knight.'"
Guy 2: "Nah, the game's balance is ridiculously fragile as it is. He might be big, but he ain't *that* important."
Guy 1: "But, we've got to incorporate Arthas and the DKs somehow: they're kind of a big deal, and people want to see them."
Guy 2: "I've got it: we'll make it so every class can be a Death Knight."
Guy 3: "Boom, nailed it."
Guy 1: "That really doesn't make any sense. And what about Arthas?"
Guy 2: "Adventure boss. Annnnd done. Who's ready for lunch?"
Guy 3: "Sweet! Tacos?"
Guy 2: "Tacos."
Guy 3: "I'm there!"
Guy 1: "..."

That's how I imagine it went down, anyway. I'm still interested in and excited for the expansion, but...yeah. Making everyone a DK is weird, and relegating Arthas to Adventure-boss duty is a tragic waste.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
linkblade91 said:
That's how I imagine it went down, anyway. I'm still interested in and excited for the expansion, but...yeah. Making everyone a DK is weird, and relegating Arthas to Adventure-boss duty is a tragic waste.
There are no more Adventures. It's just "Missions" now. I'm hoarding Gold and Dust to enjoy some free cards. From where I'm standing, Hearthstone feels a wee bit too much like Battleforge did before EA opened it up for a gadzillion payment options, only to kill it off shortly after that.

linkblade91

Dec 2, 2009
Headdrivehardscrew said:
linkblade91 said:
There are no more Adventures. It's just "Missions" now. I'm hoarding Gold and Dust to enjoy some free cards. From where I'm standing, Hearthstone feels a wee bit too much like Battleforge did before EA opened it up for a gadzillion payment options, only to kill it off shortly after that.
I know that, but in a way that makes it even worse, you know? Arthas won't get his own class, and he won't be the head of his own Adventure. He frankly should have been one of the original nine.