Hayter To Work on Metal Gear Solid Movie?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Hayter To Work on Metal Gear Solid Movie?

When he's not providing Solid Snake's gravelly tones, David Hayter is a screenwriter, responsible for X-Men 1 & 2 and the upcoming Watchmen film. But will he be turning his talents to a MGS film? Well, he seems quietly confident.

In an interview with Collider [http://www.collider.com/entertainment/interviews/article.asp/aid/11011/tcid/1], Hayter talked about conversations he had had with Sony and producer Mike De Luca regarding the possibility of writing a Metal Gear Solid movie. Apparently the movie was shelved thanks to "Hollywood Bullcrap", but now there are rumblings of the project coming back to life. Hayter was cagey about the exact details, but he expressed a definite interest in working on the project.

Personally, I can't think of anyone better than Hayter to write the movie. As he points out in the interview, he's been playing Solid Snake for the last ten years and so knows the series inside and out, not to mention that X-Men was an awesome movie. Hayter also mentioned that he was working on the adaptation of Lost Planet for Capcom. We can only hope that it will feature Bernie [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/unskippable/394-First-Place-Unskippable-01-Lost-Planet] in some capacity.

Source: via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/02/20/david-hayter-says-metal-gear-movie-a-possibility-again/]

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
I hope Hayter is involved. I loved the X-Men films, and he is Snake after all.

Who knows, it may not suck after all.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
That's odd that they want to make a movie considering the game was just one long cutscene, one would argue it already IS a movie.

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
David Hayter is my favorite voice actor of all time, if I ever have a son (actually even if it's a girl) I'm going to call him Orson Hayter. Orson from my second favorite actor.

Ionami

Aug 21, 2008
Am I the only one who thinks Hayter should also PLAY Snake as well as write? I mean, he looks like he could easily pull off being Snake. He has the voice (Obviously) and if he got some facial scruff and grew his hair a bit and wore a bandana, he would BE Snake.

xitel

Assume That I Hate You.
Aug 13, 2008
As long as Kojima isn't allowed to write the screenplay himself, we may have a chance of understanding what the hell is going on!

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
pantsoffdanceoff said:
That's odd that they want to make a movie considering the game was just one long cutscene, one would argue it already IS a movie.
But this time the protagonist will do a perfect run of the game. No more Game Overs until the end.

Hope it turns out well, though.

Eagle Est1986

That One Guy
Nov 21, 2007
As long as it's not live action, then go for it David. I don't think I could fathom a live action MGS film, unless it was done a la Escape From City 17 and didn't focus on the main characters. But what would MGS be without it's main characters?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Hayter is a pretty darn good screen writer, X2 was excellent and his script for Watchmen was a great modern take on the story and is being used as the basis for the Alex Tse screenplay that was actually filmed. Hopefully this means Metal Gear will actually be worth watching.

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
I hope to god he does this right. In the hands of Hayter, this could well be the first good videogame movie.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
I dunno. I mean, yah, he wrote X1, which was fine. And co-wrote X2, which was okay. I'm glad he wasn't involved with X3. But he also wrote The Scorpion King. And we'll never get to see what his version of Watchmen was like, because Alex Tse nixed a good deal of it (despite Moore's endorsement of it). It's like you drawing a picture of a Boeing, and the next guy coming along and going "Oh, great idea, a jumbo jet!" and drawing an AirBus. Same stadium, different sport.

I think they should probably put him on with Kojima (who, by many reports, seems to be some sort of narrative genius) and hack something out. Kojima's all about the West nowadays, I'll bet he'd come up with some sort of great fusion of Japanese and American storytelling.

Kriegsherr

Jan 10, 2009
Ionami said:
Am I the only one who thinks Hayter should also PLAY Snake as well as write? I mean, he looks like he could easily pull off being Snake. He has the voice (Obviously) and if he got some facial scruff and grew his hair a bit and wore a bandana, he would BE Snake.
Totally with you there, it just wouldnt be the same if Snake had a different voice, especially seeing as Hayter has the greatest voice evarrr, nobody could pull off Snake like he could

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Kriegsherr said:
Ionami said:
Totally with you there, it just wouldnt be the same if Snake had a different voice, especially seeing as Hayter has the greatest voice evarrr, nobody could pull off Snake like he could
Can you say thirdeded-ed-ed?

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
I would love it, if it was based on MGS3, and there was a scene were Snake is just chomping on a live snake.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Will the movie have many 10 minute segments of Solid just hiding and waiting for a safe time to move?

If not, it'll be approximately 843 times better than any of the games. *hides*

Accuse me of having ADD, but I just never enjoyed the amount of just...waiting in the MGS games, and I'm not even talking about the hours of cutscenes and plot, but the waiting to pass guards. Of course, the above is just my opinion and I know the games are good, just not my thing, so I'll shut up now.

I do think a MGS movie would do better if they called it something else tho, it could make for a great 'Bourne' style movie, but 'video game movie' turns off huge swathes of non gamers from watching, whereas this could have mass appeal.

InvisibleMilk

Nov 19, 2008
David Hayter As Solid Snake.
And Keifer Sutherland As.....Otacon!
hehehe sorry. That'd be odd. Strangely, I really wanna see that happen. Eh, just put Keifer(Kiefer?I dunno) in the movie somewhere.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
Wouldukindly said:
xitel said:
As long as Kojima isn't allowed to write the screenplay himself, we may have a chance of understanding what the hell is going on!
Agreed, maybe we can get a movie that doesn't cite 'nanomachines' in the same way monster B-movies in the 50s cited 'radiation'.
GAMER:Why did that happen?
KOJIMA:NANOMACHINES!
GAMER:That doesn't make sense!
KOJIMA:YOURS IS NOT TO ASK WHY!