ICO Creator Speaking At GDC

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
ICO Creator Speaking At GDC

Fumito Ueda, the creative mind behind ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, will be speaking at a panel at the Game Developer's Conference. Could an announcement be imminent?

The panel, which is titled "Evolving Game Design: Today and Tomorrow [https://www.cmpevents.com/GD09/a.asp?option=G&V=3&id=475717], East and West Game Design," will examine the most important trends in recent game designs and look ahead to where things are headed in the next few years with particular attention to how things will play out across Japan and the West. Participating are Goichi "Suda51" Suda of Killer7 and No More Heroes fame, Emil Pagliarulo, who was the lead designer on Fallout 3 and Fumito Ueda, the head of Sony's Team ICO.

No offense to Plagliarulo or Suda51 or the developers for whom this panel's really designed, but for gamers most of the attention's going to be on Ueda. It's been almost four years since his last game, Shadow of the Colossus, and we haven't heard word one about his team's supposedly monumental PS3 title. Aside from a cryptic image of a chain and some moss-covered stones that some seem convinced is confirmation of an ICO sequel, fans of Ueda's work have been completely in the dark for some time now.

Can we expect an announcement from Ueda at GDC? Probably not. The panel is for discussing the specific issues at hand, not for making big reveals. Either way, it should be an interesting discussion between three accomplished and extremely different developers.

Still, maybe while Ueda's there, he'll just drop a few hints, or maybe even reveal another ultra-cryptic image that fans will then digest and discuss and somehow figure out is a confirmation of Ueda's next game. A rock surrounded by fog with a black leopard next to it? It's gotta be ICO 3!

ZantetsukenQ

Sep 25, 2008
SomeBritishDude said:
If they announce anything I may be forced to buy a PS3.
Dude, if they announce anything even slightly Colossus based, I may have to touch myself.

Been waiting for news on their next development for a long, long time.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
The amount of info we knew about either before they launched? Jack shit.
That's probably why the both didn't sell well, despite being excellent.

I do hope, though, that in whatever game they make, that, perhaps as a bonus or easter egg, you can fight the Colossus who were removed from SoTC before release. I'd love to fight the ones who got cut. Not that is would mean anything story wise, but just for fun.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
If they are announcing something, do you think this will once again be a prequel? I can't find ICO so I don't know wheather theres much material for a sequel, but SotC certainly has prequel protential, and I kind of like the idea of the story being told backwards.

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Participating are Goichi "Suda51" Suda of Killer7 and No More Heroes fame, Emil Pagliarulo, who was the lead designer on Fallout 3 and Fumito Ueda, the head of Sony's Team ICO.
Anything that mentions Suda51 and Fumito Ueda is hella exciting for me.

Bring on the third ICO game.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Please God, or god(s) of gaming.

Let this be a blessing.

Let this be...Team ICO's next project announcment.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
You can talk about jumping to conclusions from cryptic images - you were convinced that an i, a ! and a power symbol meant Metal Gear Solid was coming to the 360.
I did think that, but I don't think I published that opinion. I would never say something so ridiculous!

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Keane Ng said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
You can talk about jumping to conclusions from cryptic images - you were convinced that an i, a ! and a power symbol meant Metal Gear Solid was coming to the 360.
I did think that, but I don't think I published that opinion. I would never say something so ridiculous!
Kind of an irrelevance whether you posted it or not - you fell for something laughably ridiculous. Meanwhile, fans of Uedas work are simply guessing that their next game will be tied to the same universe as their last two games were. Who really is the more foolish here?
We'll see who's the fool when the time comes.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Keane Ng said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Kind of an irrelevance whether you posted it or not - you fell for something laughably ridiculous. Meanwhile, fans of Uedas work are simply guessing that their next game will be tied to the same universe as their last two games were. Who really is the more foolish here?
Because it wouldn't be an Indigo post without a bit of 360 bashing.
Nah, I'd say he's fairly on the point.

It was just green, that's all people had to go by. And it was Metal Gear Ac!d green. I personally thought it would be a new MGA game, or something for the DSi or iPhone (hence the i's).

All it was was green. Green. And a universal power button. That's ALL they had to go by, and people were still going "OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG MGS4 ON 3600!#%!^!#^&#"

GOD! I'll stop my ranting now.

Miral

Random Lurker
Jun 6, 2008
I do hope it'll be another ICO-like game (though not an actual sequel, I don't think that'd really fit into the story). More like ICO than SotC, anyway. (Don't get me wrong, SotC is a great game, and I like the bits of it I've managed to get to thus far -- but since I totally hate boss battles, and the gameplay is almost entirely boss battles... well, it falls a little flat for me.)