190: High Scores for Hope

Maxwell McGee

Feb 23, 2009
High Scores for Hope

Some people play videogames to relieve stress. Others play them to kill time. But some players have a more noble goal: to help make the world a better place. Maxwell McGee speaks with The Speed Gamers about their marathon charity efforts.

Read Full Article

TheEliteWin

Feb 24, 2009
Awesome article and very well written. Thanks for posting the article Maxwell and I hope to read more articles from you!

Papopapo456

Nov 19, 2008
Glad that threre are people doing what they like to help people. It also helps the image of videogames to change from a stupid time-killer hobby to a medium to entertain and help people.

ADDLibrarian

May 25, 2008
I enjoyed this article and the links found therein. I'm excited to run the idea by a friend of mine to do an all girl marathon of (cover your ears Yahtzee)all the Final Fantasy games or other RPGs that I have been meaning to play through but never have enough time.

Say Anything

Jan 23, 2008
Good read, though I could've sworn Desert Bus raised more than 22k...I thought it was in the 70,000's?

Anyway, I would absolutely love to be in a charity such as this, it sounds like a lot of fun. No doubt if I could find a group to work with I'd be doing this, too. Thanks go out to the "Speed Gamers".

dieseldub

Dec 23, 2008
This article was really inspiring. While I do some charity work every year, this motivates me to think more and more outside the box with fundraising. Fantastic article, and sounds like some great people having some fun for a good cause.

*edit* I would like to add that this is a tremendous way to get younger generations involved in helping their community and that rocks!