Atlus Announces Free Steampunk MMOG

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Atlus Announces Free Steampunk MMOG

Atlus Online [http://www.atlusonline.com/] has announced that its debut MMOG will be a free-to-play steampunk game called Neo Steam: The Shattered Continent.

The game was originally developed by Korean studio Hellgate shenanigans [http://www.joyimpact.com/]. Atlus Online is handling publishing duties in North America and "anywhere else in the world." As is customary for free-to-play games, character customization will feature heavily and the game will also include pets and steam-based mounts.

Atlus USA has established a reputation for localizing and publishing Japanese games for the North American market and Atlus Online appears set to do the same thing for the online space. "What [Atlus Online is] looking to do is bring over games that would make sense to an Atlus fan," Jamie Ortiz of Atlus Online recently told Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/news/atlus-online-debut-with-steampunk-mmo]. He said the company planned to employ a "hybrid subscription model that is supported by multiple payment options," although the core game will be free.

Scheduled release dates for Neo Steam: The Shattered Continent in North America have not been released but the company is taking pre-beta registrations for early access to the game. To sign up and learn more, head to neosteam.atlusonline.com [http://neosteam.atlusonline.com].

lukey94

Sep 2, 2008
Sounds pretty cool and looks like FLYFF, might have to check it out sometime when it comes out

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
There aren't enough steampunk games, and Atlus is a fairly reliable company, so this interests me.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
meatloaf231 said:
There aren't enough steampunk games, and Atlus is a fairly reliable company, so this interests me.
That's because I've been grinding up the discs and snorting them like cocaine...

Sorry about that... I have a problem...

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
Atlus rocks, I love their games. Steambot Chronicles for the PS2 is one the most underrated games of all time....

lornb

Jan 16, 2009
Ok I'm confuzzled, there's already a Neo Steam I know of that I have not been playing for months. It's beta, so is this the official announcement of that same game? If so I'm underwhelmed.

ChaosTheory3133

Jan 13, 2009
I'm a big fan of the company and haven't been disappointed in a release they've done. I'll most likely check it out.

Valthek

Aug 25, 2008
this sounds pretty good. IMO, there are NOT enough steampunk games out there. and those that are, are either not very popular or just plain old (except for bioshock, perhaps)

if it's free, i'd play it.

any word on possible release dates?

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Bored Tomatoe said:
I'm in, someone needs to form a group on there for the Escapist.
Yes! But we need to decide on a side to take. I personally prefer magic, but as long as I can have a healer, then I'll go with whatever the Escapees decide.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Erana said:
Bored Tomatoe said:
Yes! But we need to decide on a side to take. I personally prefer magic, but as long as I can have a healer, then I'll go with whatever the Escapees decide.
You want to pick MAGIC in a STEAMPUNK Game?

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
TsunamiWombat said:
Erana said:
Bored Tomatoe said:
You want to pick MAGIC in a STEAMPUNK Game?
At this point, if we knew each other offline, I'd say, "Just picture me in a steampunk outfit, just for one second."
You would promptly laugh your head off.

I get the warm fuzzies from healing magic, moreso than healing rayguns.

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
Erana said:
Bored Tomatoe said:
I'm leaning toward the technology side, but again, whatever the Escapist decides. ( Good to see the old avatar )

unangbangkay

Oct 10, 2007
Yog Sothoth said:
Atlus rocks, I love their games. Steambot Chronicles for the PS2 is one the most underrated games of all time....
It's kind of funny, but the bots in Steambot Chronicles were not powered by Steam at all. They were powered by gasoline. But I suppose "Steambot" flows better than "Internal Combustion-Bot"

TMAN10112

Jul 4, 2008
Steampunk is my all-time favorite style. So if you excuse me, I have to go buy some steampunk goggles off ebay, apply for the beta, and clear my schedual for a good 2-3 months after the release date.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
unangbangkay said:
Yog Sothoth said:
It's kind of funny, but the bots in Steambot Chronicles were not powered by Steam at all. They were powered by gasoline. But I suppose "Steambot" flows better than "Internal Combustion-Bot"
I guess the Japanese title translated to the equivalent of Bumpy Trot....