EA Acquires Digital Illusions

Sean Sands

Optimistic Cynic
Sep 14, 2006
EA Acquires Digital Illusions

Electronic Arts announced today that it has acquired Digital Illusions CE (DICE), developers of the popular Battlefield franchise, as a fully integrated EA Studio.

This move culminates a series of attempts on the part of EA to fully bring DICE into the fold beginning with a takeover move in late 2004 that was rejected by shareholders despite the backing of the DICE board. In 2005, after gaining a controlling stake in the company, EA was finally able to complete [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=8560] its purchase of the developer for $8.80/share. Today's announcement is the final step in the process to make DICE an EA Studio.

Paul Lee, President of EA?s Worldwide Studios, said of the acquisition, "EA is thrilled to officially welcome this team of incredibly talented people and a globally recognized game franchise."

As part of the deal, current DICE CEO, Patrick Söderlund, will become an EA Studio General Manager and maintain responsibility for the DICE studio.

heavyfeul

Sep 5, 2006
Assimilate or die!

I love the tone of Paul Lee's welcoming of DICE into the fold. It sounds so amiable for a hostile takeover. He should stand up like Connan and beat his chest in triumph. Not that throwing a lot of cash at a problem is all that triumphant.

Anyway, I was pretty disappointed in BF2, despite the many rave reviews for the PC version, and I am not jumping up in joy for 2142. Maybe my intense love of BF1942 colors my opinion. Playing that game revitalized my lagging interest in videogames at the time. Maybe with EA controlling development the franchise will get a shot in the arm.