Ghost Recons Wins UK BAFTA Award For Best Game

Sean Sands

Optimistic Cynic
Sep 14, 2006
Ghost Recons Wins UK BAFTA Award For Best Game

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter among big winners in UK 2006 British Academy Video Games Awards, along with Shadow of the Colossus, Lego Star Wars II, and Psychonauts.

Ubisoft's Ghost Recon, which also received an award for technical achievement, took the top spot at the awards ceremony on Friday against competition from EA's Black, Nintendo's Dr Kawashima's BRAIN TRAINING, RedOctane's Guitar Hero, Eidos Interactive's Hitman: Blood Money, and Lucasarts' Lego Star Wars II.

Winners included:

INNOVATION - Dr Kawashima's BRAIN TRAINING: How Old Is Your Brain?

ARTISTIC ACHIEVEMENT - Shadow of the Colossus

CHARACTER - LocoRoco in LocoRoco

STRATEGY - Rise And Fall: Civilizations At War

SCREENPLAY - Psychonauts

GAMEPLAY - Lego Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy

ACTION & ADVENTURE - Shadow of the Colossus

TECHNICAL ACHIEVEMENT - Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

SPORTS - Fight Night Round 3

SOUNDTRACK - Guitar Hero

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=11157]

Goofonian

Jul 14, 2006
As much as I like Guitar Hero, it does not deserve to get any awards for best soundtrack. Gameplay definately, but the soundtrack is merely a jumbled bag of popular rock songs. There is nothing award worthy there. By this example you could argue that a tony hawk game would deserve a best soundtrack award. Lots of people like skaterboy punk, don't you?

Awards for music in games need to go to games with original soundtracks like psychonauts or oblivion.

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
Goofonian said:
Lots of people like skaterboy punk, don't you?
No, and those who do should have their ears removed.

But saying GH doesn't have a good soundtrack is like saying the Lost Highway soundtrack wasn't good, or the Almost Famous soundtrack wasn't good.

Much of the time, what makes a soundtrack good is the way the song fits the moment. It doesn't need to be an original song to do so. In fact, I'd argue using preexisting songs is harder than having Howard Shore watch a movie and then put it to an orchestra. That's not to discount that type of soundtrack, but I don't want to listen to that when I'm playing Guitar Hero 2, especially given that it's the only game on that list that's soundtrack is a facet of its game play.

On top of that, there was an original score category in the awards.

But seriously, if you're going to get upset about an award, get upset about DDO winning best multiplayer game. What was that?

Goofonian

Jul 14, 2006
My point was, incase you missed it, that there are as many people out there who dislike the music in guitar hero as people who think it was sent from heaven. Your reaction to my comment about skaterboy punk only proves what I was saying further. (i.e. its all a matter of taste)

And I will agree with you that if you can match existing songs to a game and make it sound great then you have done very well but guitar hero does not do this. It takes existing music and matches the game to it. So like I said, give them an award for gameplay or technical excellence or something, but do not give them a soundtrack award.

That said, you are quite right about DDO and infact a whole pile of these awards are fluff. LocoRoco as the best character? Isn't the thing just a big yellow blob!?!?! Someone needs to tell the BAFTA's they are no longer welcome at the party.