Gamestop Taking Wii Preorders

Sean Sands

Optimistic Cynic
Sep 14, 2006
Gamestop Taking Wii Preorders

On the heels of a successful PS3 preorder campaign lasting only hours, the Nintendo Wii is available for limited preorders at Gamestops across the nation today.

While specific launch allocations remain unclear, as compared to the tightly allocated PS3 with many Gamestop locations having only six systems available, the Wii is expected to have slightly better availablity, though the system is expected to sell-out quickly. Gamestop's website states, "Due to extremely limited supply, we expect to reach our limit very quickly, most likely in minutes."

Preorders for Nintendo's $250 system will require a more traditional deposit of $50, significantly less than the $100 required to reserve the Playstation 3. While the retailer is being cautious about overselling its allotment of systems, it does remind customers that a reservation is not a guarantee of receiving a launch system.

Gamestop was widely criticized in 2005 for vastly overestimating its allocation of Xbox 360s, leaving many customers, promised a system at launch, disappointed.

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
Earlier this morning, I headed over to the Gamestop at our local mall to be that early adopter guy and preorder a Wii. I arrived about 10 minutes after they opened, but we in the office are pretty much their mascots, because after we go to E3, we tell them all about the wonderful toys we saw behind closed doors. The guys working there know us pretty well, at least enough to identify us on sight. I was hoping to use this to my advantage - you know, working the "uhh, we're with the band" angle.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. By the time I got there, they had already handed out paperwork to people more punctual than I, and despite the fact I cut in line and did my best diva impression, the guy at the counter, who addressed me as all buddies do (he called me Man ? Man!), told me they'd already moved all 14 units. Man, indeed!

I didn't really have high hopes. This was my first time buying into the preorder extravaganza, and the ground rules I laid out didn't really set me up for success. (First rule: Don't wake up early to spend money.) But I can't help but feel a bit disappointed. Of the crew here in The Escapist-land, I'm toward the top of the "excited by this strange and wondrous console" list. Nintendo grabbed me with the Wii. They mixed a terrible, alchemic love potion of nostalgia, affordability and fun and slipped it into my Jack and Coke while I wasn't looking. Next thing I know, I'm standing in line with a bunch of college kids, all of whom are gleefully clutching proof of their fandom while I'm standing in my Chucks, late to the party. And it kinda sucks.

But I'm not giving up on getting a Wii. Nintendo seems like they're going to handle the launch better than (ahem) their competitors [http://crunchgear.com/2006/10/11/nintendo-doubles-wii-launch-units/], meaning there's still hope that I'll be able to elbow my way through two million of my closest friends and be the first kid on my block with Nintendo's '68 Comeback Special.

But man, that paper guarantee would've felt damn good.

Permalink [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/lounge/view/65500]

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
I almost fell for it.

Joe and I were talking about it yesterday and I almost (almost) fell into the trap. I want a Wii. There's no sense denying it. I want one more than I've wanted a new console in quite a while. Like Joe, they nailed the demographic into which I fit with this machine, and I'm quite literally drooling in anticipation over it.

So much so that I was almost willing to get up early just to drive to EB, stand in line, loan them $50 for a month and hope that they actually honored my slip of paper on November 19th.

Almost.

Then I woke up this morning and came to my senses. I've never bought into the pre-order hype. It's basically just a way to generate artificial sales numbers on a product that has yet to ship. For console launches, it also serves to generate hype and create "false sell-outs." Homie don't play that.

If a manufacturer wants me to buy their product, I insist that they do their job and make enough of it so that I can find it in the store, spend money and take it home. Will I be disappointed if on November 19th I can't have a Wii? Yes. Of course I will. But not so disappointed that I'm willing to run through the retail/marketing maze. Sorry guys. This is rapidly becoming an adult-oriented industry. If you want people to take it seriously, you've got to start taking yourselves seriously and stop playing these games.

Anyway, when I text messaged Joe this morning to let him know I'd decided not to go through with it (and give him one more chance to persuade me to drive to EB) he said they'd already sold out, effectively solving that problem for good.

So, seeing as it's payday once again, what CAN you spend money on? Not much. A lot of games are coming out next week, leaving this weekend a little sparse. Scarface and Warhammer are out, but that's about it.

As much as I hate to say it, if you really want to spend money on games this week, you're stuck with pre-ording. Which, I think, is not news to Gamestop/EB.

Permalink [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/lounge/view/65498]

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
I looked at it differently, Russ.

If I spend 2 hours waiting in line for the preorder today... I don't have to spend 2 hours waiting in line for the console in November. As cold as Minnesota Octobers are, Minnesota Novembers are worse.

And my extremities thank me.

Sean Sands

Optimistic Cynic
Sep 14, 2006
Speaking as a Minnesotan, I can assure you that we're all communists. Though, that communism is tempered by a silly accent and casseroles with too much Cream of Mushroom soup.

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
Archon said:
Does Joe know Funk's a communist? It may be a conspiracy.
I'm not a communist. I'm a Marxist-Lennonist.

Also, you can't stop the RED ROCK!

razor

Mar 3, 2004
Having recently invaded a Russian, I can say they are good people. Demanding with an over-developed sense of entitlement, but good people. I propose the following:

Console players are communists, based on the fact that they are also demanding with an over-developed sense of entitlement.

And so that I'm not being beat to death by the "Silly Hats Only" club, I offer this:

I think they're communists

Goofonian

Jul 14, 2006
I'm not a communist, but I've had my Wii preorder for months now, and I'll even be getting a free game when I go pick it up, in addition to wii sports of course :D

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Goofonian said:
I'm not a communist, but I've had my Wii preorder for months now, and I'll even be getting a free game when I go pick it up, in addition to wii sports of course :D
That's how they lure you in, Goof. Don't fall for it. Be strong!

TomBeraha

Jul 25, 2006
I'm not sure If I should preorder - If i do it will likely be at my local EB or Babbages if they offer it... I'd like to make sure I get one, But if they don't have one immediately available on launch day I'd be dissapointed and I'll survive. Any thoughts on the availability of launch games / accessories? Is there risk of absence of either of them?

4PLAY [deprecated]

Sep 10, 2006
Fletcher said:
So, seeing as it's payday once again, what CAN you spend money on? Not much. A lot of games are coming out next week, leaving this weekend a little sparse. Scarface and Warhammer are out, but that's about it.

As much as I hate to say it, if you really want to spend money on games this week, you're stuck with pre-ording. Which, I think, is not news to Gamestop/EB.
Just because its payday doesent mean you have to spend money on games. if there are no new good games out or ones that you like, then try this: dont buy anything :O . a little saving never hurts. Then next week when its not payday, and theres a game you like, you can buy it. Maybe there wont be anything out next week, there's still plenty of games that are already out that you wont have played, that you can download, (free games, abandonware classics, or digital distributed games like starscape http://www.moonpod.com/English/about_ss.php
or just ones that u never got around to playing, theyre all waiting in a bargain bin near you.

Lex Darko

Aug 13, 2006
Why even bother with pre-ordering? Just go to buy one a month after it comes out. By then the stores would have restocked and you will have the full selection of games and no lines.

Pre-ordering consoles is for chumps (unless you plan to put the thing on ebay but that's another story)because it's not like pre-ordering affects how many consoles your local store gets.

Goofonian

Jul 14, 2006
Lex Darko said:
Pre-ordering consoles is for chumps (unless you plan to put the thing on ebay but that's another story)because it's not like pre-ordering affects how many consoles your local store gets.
Actually I'm getting the impression that it does make a difference here.
I know for a fact that toys'r'us australia will split up their stock within their stores to make sure that pre-orders get filled. So if a store has 50 pre-orders and another store has 5, the first store will get their shipment bumped up while the second will get theirs cut. It works to ensure pre-order customers are happy and doubles as an incentive for store managers to try and get as many pre-orders as possible.

I'm also getting the impression from nintendo australia that they are monitoring the number of pre-orders made and will be filling pre-orders before they supply stores with shelf stock. There was a quote from a nintedo aus rep somewhere suggesting that this region will be a bit short on consoles and the best way to get one before the new year is to pre-order.

I've pre-ordered two consoles at my local toys r us, firstly because they were offering a free game with pre-orders and secondly because I want to guarantee that I get one before christmas or my little brothers will be without a present. That said, the US will be getting a whole boat load more consoles than anyone else and you will have an extra two weeks for nintendo to supply more so there is a much better chance you'll be able to get one off the shelf before christmas.

Sokaku

Aug 24, 2003
Lex Darko said:
Why even bother with pre-ordering? Just go to buy one a month after it comes out. By then the stores would have restocked and you will have the full selection of games and no lines.
Finding a new console around christmas time is even harder than finding it on launch day :p

I'll stick to my pre-order thank you.

Bongo Bill

Jul 13, 2006
Goofonian said:
Where from?

Lex Darko

Aug 13, 2006
Sokaku said:
Lex Darko said:
Finding a new console around christmas time is even harder than finding it on launch day :p

I'll stick to my pre-order thank you.
Not always, I bought my xbox on Dec. 15 there were no lines and with all the launch games at my finger tips it was quite pleasant really.