A Different Kind of PC-Crashing Worm

Feb 13, 2008
A Different Kind of PC-Crashing Worm

When Mark Taylor's laptop crashed, he thought it might be due to a worm -- which it was, just not the digital kind.

After his laptop crashed, Taylor (of Somerset, England), took it to a technician who flipped the back off and discovered what seemed to be a rubber band nestled in the computer's innards. Having a poke, as technicians do, he was horrified to find out the rubber band was actually an earthworm that had been burned to a frazzle. It had apparently wrapped around the fan when somebody had turned on the computer, causing the fan to jam and the computer to crash.

Not something you'd normally find in a laptop, but Taylor thinks that his cats must have brought it in from the garden. "The worm was obviously looking for a hiding place and must have crawled in through the air vent to get away from my cats," Taylor said. "I couldn't help thinking that people get computer worms all the time, but not real life ones."

Source: [a href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/02/25/earthworm_laptop_crash/"]The Register[/a]

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Literally Laughed Out Loud on this one; the story, the choice of graphic... just too much. Plus doesn't it harken back to the origin of the term "bug" in the first place? Ah, tradition.

-- Steve

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
That's brilliant. How that worm got up there is beyond me, but I'm guessing it wasn't the best hiding place after all.
Anton P. Nym said:
Literally Laughed Out Loud on this one; the story, the choice of graphic... just too much. Plus doesn't it harken back to the origin of the term "bug" in the first place? Ah, tradition.

-- Steve
Ahh so now we've gone full circle, eh?

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
Oh, of course you'd post a picture of some Worms. Could've chosen a better one though. ;)
That's pretty damn hilarious though. Most of all, I feel sorry for the worm. I know, I'm a sap. Guess cats are capable of more mischievous deeds than one can suspect. Maybe it's a good thing I don't let my cats up here.. they'd scare all the spiders into my laptop.

Brokkr

Nov 25, 2008
Very funny. I wish I could have seen the guy's face who found the worm.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
NewClassic said:
I can't seem to think of anything to say here except, "Well, at least it wasn't a Trojan..."
We wouldn't think of anything funny to say if it was some bacterial disease though. No "virus" or "spyware", etc.

Danny Ocean

Master Archivist
Jun 28, 2008
I read an article once about the dirtiest PCs in one of the magazines I get. Some of them were atrocious. Dead rodents, carpets of dusts, and a peppering of fried insects.

They should really put removable filters on fans as default.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
I've seen a photo of a samilar thing, but with a large snake instead of a worm in it!

EDIT:
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/snake-in-computer.shtml

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Doug said:
I've seen a photo of a samilar thing, but with a large snake instead of a worm in it!

EDIT:
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/snake-in-computer.shtml
[quote/]The technician told her it must have been after the mouse! The woman didn't think it was very funny at all.
[/quote]

This made my day.