The League of Cyber Nations

Gearoid Reidy

Jul 17, 2006
The League of Cyber Nations

KM: Cyber Nations is funded through donations and through Google Ads that display on the site. I've received offers from companies wanting to display banner ads and pop-ups on the site, but I've declined all their offers. I just don't want to clutter up my website like that at the expense of the users.

TE: A lot of people seem to have heard of Cyber Nations through Nation States. There are also some competitors springing up, like Lunar Wars. Do you think it's inevitable that something will overtake Cyber Nations someday, as Cyber Nations overtook NationStates?

KM: I don't think Cyber Nations has overtaken NationStates. If you look at the Alexa traffic rankings, NationStates is still active and doing well. I like to think that each site out there provides its own unique "thing" to interest players. I have come across a few copycat sites, which is both an honor that another programmer would be inspired by my work, but at the same time it is disappointing, since it's not difficult to be creative and create something new instead of copying what's already out there.

TE: One thing that has really surprised me is the level of devotion of the community. What attracts and keeps players in Cyber Nations, and how did you build up such a big community in 18 months?

KM: I think it has something to do with the fact that something is always happening in Cyber Nations. Every time I log in there is something new going on, one group flexing their muscles and on the brink of war, another group trying to keep the peace, another group getting caught for spying on another alliance. ... It's that kind of excitement that seems to drive new players to the game and keep them coming back.

TE: Speaking of the community, are the key players from the early days still there? Do players come and go a lot?

KM: I'd say there's a mixture of both. We've still got a lot of players that started in the game just days after it launched on January 6, 2006, and have been active in the game ever since. We also get a lot of new users who pass by and don't stick around for whatever reasons. We've got roughly 40,000 active nations, but over 100,000 nations have come and gone since the game started 18 months ago.

TE: The other thing that has really impressed me is the almost fanatical level to which the entire history of the game world has been transcribed and recorded in the wikis. Alliances rise and fall, wars come and go. What has been the defining or most memorable moment in the history of Cyber Nations for you?

KM: The most defining moment for me came in March 2007 during what players have come to call Great War III or GWIII. During times of war where thousands of players engage one another on a massive scale like we saw in GWIII, the game servers have a difficult time staying up with performance. With the site having performance issues during much of March, I stayed very busy with the game and, as I mentioned before, our first child was born on March 29, 2007, so it was both a very busy and exciting time for me.

TE: How far do you go to make the game realistic? For example, only the top 5 percent of nations can get nuclear weapons. What does that say about North Korea?

KM: When developing Cyber Nations on a MMOG scale, it was important to make the game fair. Because of that, some sacrifices were made for gameplay purposes. For example, the 5 percent rule was added because of massive outcry from the
community that the game was too unrealistic with nuclear weapons so readily available and being used on a massive scale like we saw before the 5 percent rule was added.

TE: Where do you and Cyber Nations go from here? Do you have any interest in developing a commercial version of this, or any other game?

KM: Cyber Nations has grown far beyond my wildest expectations for the game when it first started. Of course, I'll always keep options open for new opportunities that may come for the game, but if things just remain as they are now I'll be happy with that, too.

My main goal is to continue to provide for Cyber Nations for as long as people are interested in it. Along with Cyber Nations, I've got a couple of other browser-based games that I'm working on, even though I have absolutely no time in my schedule to manage. I guess that's the story of most web developers, though. Too many great ideas and not enough time in the day.

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
I joined three months after the site launched, and played for a solid six months or so. What is most fascinating about the game is how it leaves room for roleplay and alliance-building, two things which have been incredibly important to the site's success.

However, it also happens to be one of its weaknesses as well, at least from my view. After breaking into the top 500 nations, I was suprisingly mobbed by four members of a certain alliance. They then proceeded to nuke my country off the game. This is just one example of how alliances now completely control the game, and it is becoming less newcomer friendly by the day. The law seems to be "Join an Alliance or Die".

This is no fault of the admin or the game; it's human nature. A small group of very smart founding fathers of the game were able to control the fate of all players for 18 months and beyond. You would hope that players would learn to have productive relationships that also allowed for a balance of powers, but there's just never enough gutsy people who are willing to sacrifice power for fairness. Or at least those people aren't playing a free internet nation building sim.

Jun 26, 2007
o/ admin \o

I've been active in CN since a few weeks after it opened in January of 2006. I've always enjoyed the community present on the forums. Unfortunately my account (Harrissy) was banned, and after creating a new account (Imperial Rome) I was caught and that account was banned also. I now have a forum account but no nation, which is against the rules, but I love the community enough to keep coming back after a year and a half. Congrats, Kevin!

Anori [deprecated]

Aug 11, 2007
One thing not mentioned is the fact that this game has a serious history of moderator abuse. I can think of several situations where a moderator used their mod powers to exact personal vengeance on other players in the game. Sometimes these situations grow into a kind of crisis state where whole alliances threaten to suicide and or leave the game. Most of the time though, these incidents tend to settle down. Other times though, certain forum admins and moderators are removed from their posts.

An important thing to consider before one decides to get to seriously involved in, or donate to this game.

-Anori

bok

Aug 25, 2007
Anori said:
One thing not mentioned is the fact that this game has a serious history of moderator abuse. I can think of several situations where a moderator used their mod powers to exact personal vengeance on other players in the game. Sometimes these situations grow into a kind of crisis state where whole alliances threaten to suicide and or leave the game. Most of the time though, these incidents tend to settle down. Other times though, certain forum admins and moderators are removed from their posts.

-Anori
Do the eve-online mods work part time for CN or something?

faselei

Jul 19, 2008
Anori said:
One thing not mentioned is the fact that this game has a serious history of moderator abuse.

An important thing to consider before one decides to get to seriously involved in, or donate to this game.

-Anori
I would have to add agreement with some of that. I have been playing for nearly three years and enjoy the game immensely, but the moderation is terribly harsh, rude and usually fairly unhelpful. You can lose your nation in the blink of an eye or because of a misinterpreted comment on the forums, and you should consider that before you make donations.

Unkas

Jan 28, 2009
The political and economical simulation Ars Regendi [http://www.ars-regendi.com] should also be mentioned in that context, as it now offers the features "Worlds" and "Military" too and therefore has become a complex geopolitical simulator. And the mods - like me ;) - aren't obsessed with power...

Liam Riordan

Feb 25, 2010
I was a a long time member of this site. I miss my old Alliance the GGA (Grand Global Alliance). Good times.