OMG Girlz Don't Exist on teh Intarweb!!!!1

Teleios

Aug 5, 2003
OMG Girlz Don't Exist on teh Intarweb!!!!1

"I am a girl, but girls do not exist on the internet." Whitney 'Teleios' Butts relates her multiplayer gaming experiences, as a girl on the internet.

boojah [deprecated]

Jul 16, 2007
This just sounds wierd.... I've been playing WoW for about a year now, and know a lot of girls playing.. It's not uncommon to have girls on ventrilo, and they all speak. Off course there are more boys, but thats just how it is atm. I can't understand why the guys you mention acts like that. Where are you from? Are you from Europe or US? I'm from Europe (more specifically Norway) and i have never seen anything of what you just described, except maybe from my 12 year old brother :)

Girls exist in the Internet, and most certiantly on WoW. Why shouldn't they?

alomo

Nov 30, 2006
i have known a few women how played online games, the first two were in SWG, then there were two more i met in WOW. I also knew 3 women who played Ghost Recon online as well.

I think it is a maturity issue with a lot of people. some people are, well, twelve years old. other people are older, but still immature and just cannot believe that women play online games.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
CantFaketheFunk said:
Whoa. Talk about thread necromancy.
Well, technically it's a new thread - the original article didn't have a comment thread, so one was created when we rebuilt the site :)

That said, the article is written tongue-in-cheek, half-jokingly. Don't take it too literally :)

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Virgil said:
That said, the article is written tongue-in-cheek, half-jokingly. Don't take it too literally :)
But you can take it LATERALLY! Wokka wokka!

ok. yeah. that was bad.

Jul 22, 2004
Sooooooo fun!!!

First I'am a french guy, so maybe they're differences between internet population in our country and yours or is it just because this article is focused on revelant facts.

Anyway we can see that sort of reaction too. But it's changing. I actually play WoW on a french server and in my guild we neraly have half girls including my girlfriend ( I always choose game she loves to play with her ;) )

Keep hope : one day boys will realize they are not, with aliens, the only thinking entity in cosmos... But you girls should maybe hide that fact... keeping the real control on these funny monks ;)

Tanifa

Aug 17, 2007
found myself nodding through this article, all familiar situations. the "prove you're a girl" is one annoyance, but the "we know you don't understand technology" condecension. I'm a hacker, i write code for a living and for entertainment. I don't have a penis.. get over it.

Aug 20, 2007
I have to wonder how you got so lucky to run into the immature dorks. I had this weirdness every now and then come up back when I played Asheron's Call in the late 90s. "Whoa... The Viamont Kitchen is a girl IRL?!?" One guy got really weirded out and wouldn't talk to me after awhile. Another guy was really amused by a girl playing a game and found out it could be fun to play with a girl rather than make fun of her for playing. But more often than not, they were fine with me, regardless of my gender.

When I moved along to WoW, I was lucky enough to be in a guild of diversity, where boyfriends gamed with their girlfriends and husbands gamed with their wives. And kids gamed with their parents. It was a unique group. Every now and then, we'd have a PUG who'd be surprised to hear a real-life girl on Vent, but that was because they weren't used to it themselves. However, they were cool... it just took 'em a little to get used to a female voice :)

I'm used to guys though getting confused when they run into a real-life girl in a male-dominated arena - I'm a computer programmer by day :D

jt2002tj

Sep 7, 2007
even though the scene may be changing the in last few years, i'd still be surprised to hear a girl playing Halo on Live. i guess it sort of comes from the fact that i've never seen a girl play Halo in real life. granted the largest community i've gamed with were on college campuses, small ones at that, but after not seeing 1 out of a pop of 5000? i feel i have some right to be surprised.

i think it'd be great to know some girl gamers though; the ladies are just better team players sometimes.

Delmar Wynn

Nov 12, 2002
From stories I have heard, Teleios used to pwn others on games such as Unreal Tournament. So Halo would be a small step for her to take you on :)

Jenny Decimal

Sep 8, 2007
I don't even bother playing online anymore because, honestly, I ran out of patience with the attitudes of the people I was playing with/ against. If a guy loses a game, he's just had a bad round. If a girl loses a game, it's because her tiny cake-baking hands and shoe shopping brain can't handle such complex operations. It's hard to be bothered going through a games' learning curve when every single loss lets your whole gender down, and every win is assumed to have been the product of your opponent's incompetence rather than your own ability.

That said, I think people would really be surprised at how many girls they've actually encountered on the internet. There are plenty of girls with far more patience and determination than me. They just don't identify themselves, for all the reasons stated in the piece.

There's an assumption that female gamers, in so far as they exist, are only interested in the two S's, Sims and Singstar. Single player and "party" games (eg. Singstar) do tend to be far more popular with female gamers than multiplayers and FPS's generally, but if you had to deal with the kind of crap that the articles author has - and I can personally attest to having experienced pretty much everything she described - then multiplayers wouldn't have much interest for you either. So it's a self perpetuating stereotype. However, the single players that sell best to girls aren't what would be considered traditionally girly - Grand Theft Auto is immensely popular with female gamers, as are survival horror games like Silent Hill.

Then there's the larger issue, that FPS's and many multiplayers just aren't designed with girls in mind. It could be something simple like offering a female body type to select. And I don't mean characters like Boobula, Sexpowered Harlot of the High Bikini Elves of Nymphomania. I mean just a female soldier or two in Battlefield, or perhaps a female character in a Tom Clancy game that wasn't some insane war criminal environmentalist. Man, that dude's bitter. Anyway. Guys always think it's a ridiculous niggle, that female gamers invariably find themselves playing as male characters, but how many of those would be happy being forced to play as female ones all the time? It sounds like a small thing, but it's not. It matter because it seriously hampers the games ability to immerse you in it's world. I can make Marcus Fenix saw up as many enemies as I like... but he'll never be my avatar in the game, he's just a guy on the screen. But then, once again, playing as a female character will attract aggro. At least it might freak people out less if they hear you speak though, I suppose.

I'm a manager in a games shop, and I'm so sick of having customers ask me to ask one of the guys a question - on the assumption that I myself couldn't - that I'm starting to get kinda resigned to it.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
I was about to say this before, and got distracted. But, I've been playing a lot of DoD: Source, and every once in a while, a female voice pops up. It's very jarring, if only because it happens so rarely. And yes, all of the avatars are male. And it's WWII, and all of the in game voice bits are masculine. That lone female voice is just out of the ordinary. Nobody on the server cares, no comments are made, we just pay attention to the content of her message.

In the same sense, in Battlefield, at least every one except 2142, a female avatar would be historically inaccurate. So while it might be nice to do that role playing, it wouldn't be an accurate simulation. 2142? I don't see why not. I think we might actually have equality in the Armed Forces 135 years from now.

Gears of War? All for a disturbingly buff woman (not disturbing because she's buff, all characters in GoW are disturbingly buff).

P.S. Tom Clancy isn't bitter, he's just a misogynist.

jt2002tj

Sep 7, 2007
Jenny Decimal said:
There's an assumption that female gamers, in so far as they exist, are only interested in the two S's, Sims and Singstar.
this has definitely been my experience. the girls i know play a few rpgs and that karaoke game.

so i guess i have a question now...if you're at a party, and let's say there's a xbox hooked up with 4 controllers and halo. you're playing with 2 other guys and this lady asks to play. if you're one of the guys who's playing, how would you react when she's actually playing? would you turn down the trash talk? would you go easy on her? or wouldn't you and assume she'd only join if she knew how to play? would you comment on the fact?

if you're a girl gamer, how would you like to be treated? if you're familiar with halo, would you feel disrespected if they guys were obviously going easy on you? even if you've shown that you can keep up? what if you weren't familiar with halo (but have played other FPS on consoles), would you be turned off to the game if the guys weren't going easy on you and didn't really give you a chance? would you comment on that?

DarkClownNizzo

Sep 8, 2007
Heh, my big sister's a major girl gamer, so I grew up learning to respect them the hard way. She's mostly into RPGs, but she has played plenty of FPSes and fighting games, she even grew up on good old Jedi Knight. She used to play WoW, but she quit a while ago when she felt it was too addictive to play while she was managing her life. I hear from her guildmates that she was a kickass priest.

I couldn't calculate the number of times she kicked my ass in Tekken on Deep Thought.

SatansBestBuddy

Sep 7, 2007
I wish my sister was a gamer, but the only games that really caught her interest were The Sims and Guitar Hero.

She's bought other games, like the entire Grand Theft Auto series on PS2 and all the Need for Speeds on PS2, but I get the feeling that she doesn't really like those games, and only bought them because she had so much free time, and was planning on getting into gaming with said time, but really she used all that time up reading books and comics and hasn't really stopped to play any of the games she bought.