105: Tabletop Gaming and the Hypnic Jerk

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Tabletop Gaming and the Hypnic Jerk

"In the mid '90s, the CRPG snowball turned into an avalanche, which led some to wonder whatever happened to all those great game ideas they used to see in stores like Perfidium. After Blizzard struck it big, the name of the game became "Chase WoW," and so the videogame industry sent a hypnic jerk along the length of its ancestry, hoping something would twitch. And something did."

Russ Pitts explores the death and rebirth of the game store.

falselogic

Jul 18, 2006
I have to say the only place in my neck of the woods is one of those Perfidium style stores. You walk in and are completely ignored. If you have the fortitude to ask questions of the shop keep, you either get ignored or are grudgingly acknowledged after a few minutes... I hate going there.

Beery

May 26, 2004
The one thing I like about those 'Perfidium' style stores is that they don't bother me unless I need help. If I want help I'll ask and they'll help me, if I don't they leave me to look around. That's how a store should be. Sure, there are a few stores that have grumpy owners, but those are easy to avoid. But some stores have an actual policy: "You must greet the customer, you must have a happy disposition, you must ask if you can help them find something". I hate that - it's a corporate version of The Stepford Wives. If I needed their help I have the intelligence to ask them. If I want to talk to them I should be the one to make that decision - not them. If I don't say 'Hi' it means I want them to leave me the hell alone.

I'm tired of this meet and greet nonsense in stores. I just feel the whole "We know best how to direct the customer" is inherently disrespectful. In some stores I've been approached by four people before I've even reached the area of the store that I'm looking for - it's ridiculous. In some cases I've had to ask my wife to run interference for me so that I can look for what I want without being distracted. This happens often in Circuit City, but it's happened in game stores too.

Another thing that's annoying is that the 'meet and greet' policy is actually bad for business: if someone helps you find what you're looking for right away it curtails any browsing activities that might happen while you're searching for the product you want. The thing is, with this policy in place if you go looking for one thing you'll be likely to get it and nothing else. If you go in a store that doesn't have a 'meet and greet' policy, you'll probably end up with the item you came for and a few other things.

'Meet and greet' annoys customers like me and it cuts profits. It's a ridiculous and oppressive system that's completely unnecessary.

FunkyJ

Jul 26, 2006
Talk about stereotyping!

Maybe it's just this way in the USA...

The stores I used to frequent were never like this. The shopkeeps were friendly on the whole, the stores cluttered but not dirty, and the players were friendly, if not welcoming.

Beery

May 26, 2004
The thing I really don't get about this article is this: what on Earth does it have to do with the woman in the picture laying in bed?

ZacQuickSilver

Oct 27, 2006
I've been to both, the Perfidium of now, and of then, and I definately prefer the more open feeling. Im my neck of the woods, the one gaming store is always alive in the evenings. Every evening, something's going on, and it's become part of my routine. It's the inviting atmosphere that brought me in, and it keeps me coming back time and time again.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
Beery said:
The thing I really don't get about this article is this: what on Earth does it have to do with the woman in the picture laying in bed?
I think it's because a hypnic jerk is (from the article): "When you first fall asleep, your body slows. The human brain, although an incredible machine, is also sometimes dumb. When it senses the slowing of your heart rate and breathing, it has to ask itself "have I died?" to which, without any evidence to the contrary, it can find no answer. So it sends a signal down the nervous system to see if you're dead. If you aren't, your muscles jerk, and the brain receives a positive, reassuring stimulus."

I read his point as being that it's a good metaphor for his feelings upon walking into another open and welcoming type game shop.
The image was taken from the metaphorical use of the hypnic jerk, but I intended it more as a metaphor for the industry than the feeling i get when walking into a game store. How the industry, fearing it may be dead, sends a runner back along its ancestry, looking for new ideas in the game store. But I like your interpretation, too. It is kind of how I feel when I need a game fix, and get into a great store like Forbidden Planet. Good stuff.

CCGsCards

May 15, 2008
Beery said:
The one thing I like about those 'Perfidium' style stores is that they don't bother me unless I need help. If I want help I'll ask and they'll help me, if I don't they leave me to look around. That's how a store should be.

... you must ask if you can help them find something". I'm tired of this meet and greet nonsense in stores. I just feel the whole "We know best how to direct the customer" is inherently disrespectful.
As an owner of a gaming store, I respectfully disagree with these sentiments. When a new customer comes into my store, I give them a moment to browse, then let them know if they have any questions, feel free to ask. If I don't at least try to talk to them it shows, from my side of the equation, that I don't care if you find something that interests you or not. It's not that I think the new person is unintelligent - it's that I respect that sometimes people want to find what they're looking for in as short of a time as possible.

Once the new customer starts settling in to the area of the store they feel comfortable in, then I can help show them related things they may not otherwise have been aware of. Is it a fine line between being helpful and being a nuissance? Yes, but it's a line I'd rather walk on than have the person feel as though they are intruding on my hallowed ground - How DARE they!