Editor's Note: Good Night and Good Luck

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
Good Night and Good Luck

Off I went on an Airbus A321 across the continent, feeling like I did at my first E3 half a decade ago. What was it gonna be like? (Similar to the previous ones, but different.) Did I have too many appointments? (Yes.) What was the deal with this Barker Hangar thing, and was it really 45 minutes away? (No, it was only 30 minutes away. This was just the tip of New E3's bad-planning iceberg.)

Read Full Article

May 31, 2007
The telling words flashed like a banner across the Big Board this morning as I walked into the shop. While the story came from your desk, the words were a reminder once again to the crew that the memory of Edward R. Morrow is alive and well, even if retrenched in the common memory recently by George Clooney.

My email gets raided each morning so the crew at Camp One can get the News Of The Day, and whatever exciting questions come across the Highway of Light yet to be answered. The Escapist is one of those feeds, eagerly awaited each week, for it is gaming that is the focus, primarily of what we do. Our Game is not what could be called traditional in the sense of what the Escapist writes about, we were described recently as something more akin to the ?Ocean?s? franchise, again, but this time perhaps, with apologies to George.

The Escapist has served well to increase the literacy, although we would have liked it a lot if you had jumped in on the AMA Gaming ?Addiction? debate and subsequent capitulation in the face of a massive reality check. We are after all at the forefront and right on the front line of Chrystal Meth addiction, from a baseline and well established record of success we write a new script for each new need we encounter, capturing the interest and, with success, the mind of another person lost in the abyss that is this addiction.

On October 15, 1958, at the RTNDA Convention in Chicago, Edward R. Morrow, towards teh end of his keynote address, said these words

?This instrument can teach, it can illuminate; yes, and it can even inspire. But it can do so only to the extent that humans are determined to use it to those ends. Otherwise it is merely wires and lights in a box. There is a great and perhaps decisive battle to be fought against ignorance, intolerance and indifference. This weapon of television could be useful.?*

*Ref: [http://www.rtnda.org/resources/speeches/murrow.shtml]

I would suggest that the same ethic can and should apply to the media industries of today. For us, we grab whatever resources we find, and use them to further our quest to increase the strength of the fence we have constructed at the edge of the abyss.

Best Regards

Martin G. Smith Ph.D - Co-ordinator
RedSeven Services - MATH Not METH
ABOTA*-ONAMISSION
[*A Bridge Over The Abyss]

MATH Not METH - http://redsevenone.wordpress.com/

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
Even though it is trendy to love Murrow right now, you're right, he's a great person to emulate. Unfortunately, a lot of what he warned about has come true, and his achievements have been eclipsed by Woodward and Bernstein in terms of investigative journalism.