Dragon Age: Origins For Consoles Will Be "True" Conversion

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dragon Age: Origins For Consoles Will Be "True" Conversion

Dragon Age: Origins [http://www.bioware.com/], still shrouded in secrecy, will be "true, actual conversions" that take advantage of the platforms, rather than just straight-up ports of the PC original.

MTV Multiplayer's Patrick Klepek Infinity Engine [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/02/18/argument-why-dragon-age-might-not-catch-on-with-console-gamers/].

Klepek noted that combat in Dragon Age: Origins is "different than anything BioWare has attempted for a console game before" and suggested that while extensive changes to the interface might make it palatable for console gamers, "In its current, state, [he] can't see how it would directly map to a controller."

Have no fear, says BioWare, because that's exactly what's being done. "I think really catering the platform to support the console, or whatever platform it is, is key," said Dragon Age: Origins Executive Producer Dan Tudge. "Even though on the PC this is a great core PC experience, when we bring that over it's also an intuitive console experience. We don't just convert it over and say 'here it is' but [make] a true, actual conversion that's true to the platform."

"We really started [Dragon Age] right from the get-go as a core PC title," he continued. "During development, we realized this didn't just have to be PC - the audiences have migrated. [We've been] able to do things that still keep it very old school and (a) very spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate but also make it new and accessible."

It's a tall order but BioWare has pulled off similar, albeit reverse, efforts in the past, overhauling the Mass Effect interface to take advantage of the mouse and keyboard setup on PCs. It's a safe bet that BioWare will be able to successfully translate the game mechanics to the controller, but whether gamers raised on simplified KOTOR-style gameplay will take to the more tactical action of old-school RPGs is another question entirely.

Source: MTV Multiplayer [http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2009/02/25/what-bioware-has-told-me-about-dragon-age-on-consoles/]

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Oh man. I was hoping against hope that it would come to 360...and now I can dream about it until it comes. Bioware makes the best RPGs on the market, and I'm dying to get my hands on this. Baldur's Gate is my favourite series to date, so this is huge.

Gimme gimme gimme.

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
There is no doubt that this game will be good, regardless of the platform. Bioware doesn't make garbage....

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
I'll be picking it up on the PC regardless, but it's nice to see a developer going out of there way to make a proper port.

Aries_Split

May 12, 2008
I have something to play other than Icewind Dale 2? As good a game that is, I need something...more...pretty.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Eh. I've never liked pause-n-play games.

Still, it looks like yet another great Bioware RPG, and it's good to know they're putting effort into all platforms.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
I am so not excited for Dragon Age it's not even funny. Hopefully they prove me wrong and this turns out to be Mass Effect with elves and dwarves.

Phat_Frank

Feb 25, 2009
I am so excited about this game, the game play trailers look great. I love Bioware, great stuff!

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
My only concern with Bioware is that they need to retain a sense of humor. Mass Effect was an excellent game, but I felt like it (as well as KOTOR) lacked the sense of humor they used to have. I'm not saying that its wrong for games to have a completely serious tone, but in an RPG with a lot of dense dialogue, it helps to have a sense of humor to break it up.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
Sigh...More gameplay options that will ultimately be sacrificed in the name of accessibility. First it was Diablo 3, now this...

I'm starting to think that the future of gaming is going to be with indie games, not companies who pander to the greatest possible audience.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
Fightgarr said:
My only concern with Bioware is that they need to retain a sense of humor. Mass Effect was an excellent game, but I felt like it (as well as KOTOR) lacked the sense of humor they used to have. I'm not saying that its wrong for games to have a completely serious tone, but in an RPG with a lot of dense dialogue, it helps to have a sense of humor to break it up.
You didn't find humor in Mass effect?

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
RebelRising said:
Fightgarr said:
You didn't find humor in Mass effect?
Less than they could've gotten away with, and what there was in it I generally found to be weak humor. So yes, I guess, I didn't find humor in Mass Effect.