Top-Ranked GunBound Player Kidnapped For Password

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Top-Ranked GunBound Player Kidnapped For Password

A top GunBound [http://www.gunbound.com/]player was kidnapped and held hostage for five hours in Brazil in a new approach to password cracking.

The hostage was lured to a shopping mall in Orkut [http://www.cityofsaopaulo.com/]social network. Instead of meeting with her, however, he was intercepted at the mall by four kidnappers, who took him at gunpoint and held him for five hours. The plan was to extract his GunBound password, which they intended to sell for $8,000; however, after five hours of threats and a gun to his head, the hostage refused to divulge the information, and the gang gave up and released him.

Brazilian police have caught the four, who range in age from 19 to 27, but it remains unknown if they had a buyer in place prior to the kidnapping.

GunBound, a free multiplayer online game, features two-dimensional turn-based artillery combat between players in vehicles called "Mobiles." The game was developed in South Korea by Softnyx [http://www.softnyx.net/]. Currently in its second major international release as GunBound World Champion, it is known in North America as GunBound Revolution and in Japan as GunBound: Planet Battle.

Low-ransom kidnappings, also known as "quicknappings," are commonplace in Brazil, especially in the poverty-stricken cities of Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
knight steel said:
Wow that's over the top 0_0 kidnapping a guy for his game password and at gun point.....and then just to let him go I'm amazed.Oh by the way seeing how this came out in 2007 and no ones commented........I'm going to say

FIRST,I'M FIRST I COMMENTED FIRST

sorry about that but i have never said first before and i wanted to try to see what it felt like plus this has been out since 2007 so i thought no one would mind

[sub]please don't ban me[/sub]
You don't get banned for saying first. You get banned for saying first and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING CONSTRUCTIVE.

FIRST! lol, good one Yahtzee/LRR/Moviebob/etc.

Looks like I'm...FIRST!

*appropriate comment on topic*
It looks like they'll do anything for money in Brazil. Life must be really hard there...

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Sounds like said player is pretty damn badass if you ask me.

"Give us the password!"
"You'll have to kill me."
*gunman trembles as sweat rolls down his brow*
"I...It's not worth your life. Just tell us!"
"You don't have the balls to pull the trigger."

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
U
JEBWrench said:

"Give us the password!"
He sounds more like someone who cares more about keeping high ranked in an online game tohan living until he is 90....

I would have given them My password as soon as those damn dirty apes laid their paws on Me

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
Svenparty said:
U
JEBWrench said:

"Give us the password!"
He sounds more like someone who cares more about keeping high ranked in an online game tohan living until he is 90....

I would have given them My password as soon as those damn dirty apes laid their paws on Me
Me too. I just find it comical to think about someone clinging to their Gun Bound account passwords like it was the freakin' launch codes or something.

Magnalian

Dec 10, 2009
$8000 for a normally free GunBound account? Who the hell did they think they could sell that to?

Poomanchu745

Sep 11, 2009
How the hell do you dig up a 3 year old article that has no comments on it? That is quite a feat.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
ok what the.....it says the original post was in 2007 and the most recent was.....today, did it seriously take someone THREE YEARS to comment on this?

OT: Its over 3 years old so i guess it's resolved itself

MR.Spartacus

Jul 7, 2009
How bad does it suck to live in Brasil? How bad is it that when held at gunpoint for something asinine you refuse? Must be a super depressing kind of place. Oh well at least they didn't shoot him.

SirMax

Dec 24, 2008
I think he must have thought it was a joke or something, and the longer it went on the less and less believable "We'll shoot you!" must have sounded.

Sir_Tor

Nov 29, 2009
Isn't there a password recovery system? But I guess the kidnappers would've gotten their money either way if they had his pass. That kid is either mental or have a nice set of balls of steel