Scientists Using World of Warcraft to Study Real-World Pandemics

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Scientists Using World of Warcraft to Study Real-World Pandemics

An epidemiologist at World of Warcraft [http://www.princeton.edu/] to help her study and predict behaviors of real-world pandemics.

Nina Fefferman, who wrote a report on the outbreak and its potential real-world impact with her former student Eric Lofgren, was alerted to the event by Lofgren, a World of Warcraft player. She quickly took notice of examples of behavior she had not previously accounted for in computer-generated models of disease outbreaks. "It really looked quite a bit like a real disease," she said, referring to Corrupted Blood's unintentional release into the game world, as well as its devastating effects on players and social structure. One element she had previously overlooked is what she called "the stupid factor," manifested in the game as players who entered the focal point of the disease to witness its effects first-hand, and then moved on to other, uninfected areas.

"Someone thinks, 'I'll just get close and get a quick look, and it won't affect me,'" she said. "Now that it has been pointed out to us, it is clear that it is going to be happening. There have been a lot of studies that looked at compliance with public health measures. But they have always been along the lines of what would happen if we put people into a quarantine zone - will they stay? No one ever looked at what would happen when people who are not in a quarantine zone get in and then leave."

Fefferman has incorporated this and other Corrupted Blood-inspired behaviors into her simulations, and is working with Ben-Gurion University [http://www.blizzard.com] in Israel reached similar conclusions in a paper published in March.

Introduced in September of 2005, Hakkar the Soulflayer [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corrupted_Blood], and was meant to add extra challenge for high-level players. In an unforeseen twist, the "virus" escaped and wreaked unprecedented levels of havoc on the game world, wiping out huge numbers of low-level players and leaving entire cities uninhabitable. Blizzard was finally forced to modify Hakkar's Corrupted Blood ability, removing its player-to-player transmission, in order to halt the devastation.

Bongo Bill

Jul 13, 2006
This is a really fascinating study. I always thought that persistent worlds represented a gold mine of psychological and sociological data. I see she's considering people being stupid about spreading the disease, but what about people who deliberately go out of their way to spread it as far as possible?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
You'd expect to see more of that sort of behaviour in a game environment than you would in real life, and I would imagine she'd do what she could to account for it. She does sound like a smart person, after all. Perhaps you'd see that sort of thing as representative of a doomsday cult or something similar? I'd never even considered the role of MMOGs in the study of human behaviour (not being an MMOGer myself is my excuse) but after reading about this, it seems painfully obvious.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
You'd expect to see more of that sort of behaviour in a game environment than you would in real life, and I would imagine she'd do what she could to account for it. She does sound like a smart person, after all. Perhaps you'd see that sort of thing as representative of a doomsday cult or something similar? I'd never even considered the role of MMOGs in the study of human behaviour (not being an MMOGer myself is my excuse) but after reading about this, it seems painfully obvious.
I know this is a 6 year old article, but I just read it....

Sorry Andy but no... just look at car accidents... In the UK alone 1 million accidents a year occur because of rubbernecking... Translation: People are stupid, even when their ACTUAL lives are on the line.