Wii Surpasses Xbox 360 As World's Best-Selling Console

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Wii Surpasses Xbox 360 As World's Best-Selling Console

The Xbox 360 [http://www.wii.com] in total cumulative sales, making it the best-selling next-generation game console in the world.

It is the first time PlayStation 3 [http://www.nintendo.com]offering is a distant third, with total system sales of 3.7 million units, particularly disappointing for a company that had previously ruled the roost with its PlayStation and PlayStation 2 consoles.

Nintendo has achieved dominance in the world gaming market by appealing to a much wider demographic with its inexpensive system, interactive control system and marketing efforts aimed at casual gamers. One analyst said, "The fact of the matter is that, despite the Xbox's earlier launch in November 2005, it only sells in two markets - Europe and the U.S."

"Japan is home turf to Sony and Nintendo, so the Xbox is not a player at all," he continued. "In contrast, Nintendo has been selling well in all three major markets."

Chinster

Sep 5, 2007
Absolutely fantastic achievement given that there is sod all to play on it (at least in the UK). Congrats Ninty!

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Yes, that's a thing I don't get. A friend of mine rushed to get the Wii. I asked him why he did that considering the rather meagre catalogue. He sold it one month ago, since he found nothing interesting nor refreshing on the console. Now he's acquired the 360, and he's baffled by the amount of great hits you can get on it.
We both agreed, once again, that a PS2 and a 360 was the winning combo, PC aside.

It's weird, but I get an impression that the Wii is one of the most hype sustained consoles I've ever seen since a very long while.

It reminds me of what happened two decades ago, when people would buy consoles just because it seemed to make you look *in*, high-tech aware, or whatever, but the console would soon start taking dust and be sort of shelved somewhere in your living room.

Now, again, I'm not a casual gamer, so it's hard to look at it from another perspective as the one I've been used to rely on for so many years.

When I look at both the Wii and the PS3, the difference in sales seems to be about three elements:

- The price.
- The hype.
- The console's image (family oriented ads + PR).

Horsepower aside, both consoles have really pale game catalogues at the moment.
But there's no way one could deny the Wii's sales either.

We're probably looking at a form of (small?) revolution. But not the big revolution where everybody plays "hardcore" games. Not highbrow. Just... hardcore. As with more substance than most of the Wii's core products.
Excuse me, but having 4 million people playing Wii Sports, instead of 400,000 guys and gals, doesn't strike me as an achievement, unless I thrive for sales numbers.
What it does, for sure, is expand to the market, and make sure that more people in the world, and for the years to come, could claimed they played some kind of video game.
But not the kind which has been driving the market for so many years. And seriously, I would find it really sad that the Wii would make things like Wii Play, Wii Sports, Wario Ware, Mario Party and Rayman Raving Rabbids the new standards for the next generation (games cited have sold more than 1 million copies on the Wii back in july 2007, or you can look at the Wii games sales on the american market [http://www.vgchartz.com/aweekly.php] for example, where Wii Sports and Wii Play have respectively sold more than 2.26 M and 4.69 M copies).
The guts talk: No matter how much they sale, they don't make me dream.

Echolocating

Jul 13, 2006
Arbre, I think you're looking at the picture from the view of an avid gamer; arguably a very small piece of the total consumer market.

Personally, I can't wait until my son gets a little bit older so he and I can play videogames together. The Wii will definitely be my next purchase in a year or so... maybe they'll have a jet black version by then. ;-)

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Dreams don't pay the bills. And no matter how much it rubs us the wrong way, the Wii is setting sales records across the boards and beating the holy living hell out of the PS3 and 360 not by adding the casual audience, but by focusing on them exclusively. Nintendo has very successfully made a point that could have an immeasurably significant impact on the entire videogame marketplace: Everyone wants to play videogames, but not many people want to play our games.

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
My hope is that the Wii can be used to broaden the base of casual gamers, and then slowly bring more into the demographic that wants to play our games. Sort of like, when you're a kid, you read Dr. Seuss, Berenstain Bears, Shel Silverstein, etc. Then when we grow up, some of us like to read books, and some of us like to read large paperbound things with words in them, that look like books.

I feel like a lot of people missed out on the Dr Seuss of videogames, and this is their opportunity. We just have to give them a chance to make the choice between large, deep, complex games, and standard casual fare.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Could very well happen. There's a significant chunk of that demographic, the majority most likely, who will never move beyond that point (no matter how much "online casual" my mom plays, for instance, she ain't never gonna pick up no BioShock) but the huge number of Wiis out there makes even a small portion significant. I'm sure Nintendo would like nothing more than to see that happen, as long as the gamers in question stick with their platform - which of course necessitates considerable growth in the number and type of games developed for the Wii. But that's a whole 'nother ballgame.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
The trouble is... I don't see a lot from those "new gamers" continuing buying many games after their novel acquisition.
You already gamers buying a Wii makes no difference. You obviously bought a console that is more about social gaming than personnal emotionnal investment, say.
But all of your friends who came, they're likely to have similar forms of interest, and of those who don't, how many will actually pay for a Wii, and after that, actually support it?
Globally, though there's lot of jam to put in between those two slices, I've seen two majors picks on this issue:
Ono ne side, there's those who think it put a new market mechanic in motion, and on the other hand, those who see that sudden peak interest fading soon after so many people bought it, probably out of interest.
Remember that we're right in the Wii's novelty year after all.

Echolocating

Arbre, I think you're looking at the picture from the view of an avid gamer; arguably a very small piece of the total consumer market.
Yes, I clearly do. Now, which market are we talking about here? On which support?
I don't want to sound like an old con' who can't warp his head around the fact that the casual market has significantly grown over the years. But there are different markets out there, and I don't know how big the Wii's casual market actually is.
I'm myself very interested in seeing video games reach more people, but I'd also like these "new gamers" try something else besides repetitive and short lived agglomerations of mini-games.

However, I think that the vision of comrades joyfully swinging clubs and tennis rackets in front of the screen is very, very, overdone.
We could say that this is the casual branch of the traditionnal video game group, the one that finds a place in your living room, and yet remains far more hardcore than the real casual stuff on PC or mobile phones, but like many have said before, the more I see those ads with family X or Z, or plenty of friends, piling up in front of a TV screen to mimick sort of real life activities, without the flavour of the real stuff... I don't know, I find it kind of glaucous. And a terribly fake substitute, to say the least.
I'm not really wanting to see this becoming tomorrow's shallow beacon for the future of video games.

Those "play" games strike me as nothing more than trivial and glorified Pacmans and Defenders, safe that now you get a full pack of crammed mini-them for 40 ?, and they have shinier graphics.
It's like some people who are 25 years late, are catching up the train... in a way that does not seem terribly convincing. More an effect of the day thing.

Between the fact that negatively criticizing Nintendo's effort is hazardous these times - "they tried something new (selling extras as the by-default configuration of the console's package), so cut them some slack" - I don't remember waiting for simulations of pseudo tennis and fly-slapping to play with friends and the family. Playing complete and rich football games, basketball games, car racing games (arcade ones as well, much simpler) and even Super Mario Kart was already done back then. Or Beat'em up games, even if it ended with your brother or sister smashing buttons endlessly, and pulling out combos that you couldn't work out yourself.
Now, if you want to play games where a 5-7 years old kid can stand a chance at harnessing the relatively simple controls of the Wii, the "wares" will probably be your target of choice.
However, I can't picture the industry being led by relatively dull Pampers friendly games.

What about the opposite range of people. Say the Wii has third age people playing on it. Now, are they convinced that they have to buy a Wii?
Even more, will these persons make a difference in the future? Not so much, because they'll be gone before most of us.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Malygris

Dreams don't pay the bills.
They can. It all depends on what you understand by dreams. The dreams I'm talking about have been driving the industry for more than two decades, and brought it to where it is, generating as much as the film industry, before papers would sing the praises of casual markets and realize that people would gladly pay and download small PC games. The dreams I had in mind are the products which are subject to hype. We don't see any hype for games like Wii Sports, do we?
To me, such games are bland; they're like the pretty paper wrapped around a christmas gift. It's there in 99.99% of cases, and it makes the present cooler, especially when enjoyed with friends, but fundamentally, it's not essential and extremely superficial.
I'm not surprised to find comments of people getting quickly bored by them. I can't be surprised to hear that people still prefer going out, walk, watch a film, play, drink and eat, go to the theater or sex hotels, well, the real life, rather than uniting in front of a pulsating screen to shake a plastic stick for hours.
I mean, if you're going to spend lots of time in front of a screen, at least make it deep.

And no matter how much it rubs us the wrong way, the Wii is setting sales records across the boards and beating the holy living hell out of the PS3 and 360 not by adding the casual audience, but by focusing on them exclusively.
Exclusively? Clearly not.
If that's what the ads seem to suggest, the eral story would tend to show otherwise. On these 10 M Wii owners, just how many are casual people really?
I'd actually like to see how a Nintendo console survives without the massive first party support.

The 360 has not to be shy of its sales. The console's rich game catalogue (largely third party games) is also a strong point for the machine, and it would not be a surprise if the PS3's sales would rocket once hits would come out. The TGS is generating lots of buzz.

But above all, consoles sales don't reveal much in the end, when put out of context.
Look at the Gameboy. It ruled because it was extremely cheap.
The cheaper and less power hungry hardware, and thus the selling price, made it more casual.
And thus, Nintendo being able to press more to get more third parties working on the GB also helped a great deal.
But it's not a surprise that a difference of 50 monetary units will definitely shift the balanced in favour of the cheapest machine.

Saying that the Wii exclusively focuses on the casual branch, and lives thanks to it, looks like nothing more but the complete opposite of truth.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
Continued...

Nintendo has very successfully made a point that could have an immeasurably significant impact on the entire videogame marketplace: Everyone wants to play videogames, but not many people want to play our games.
Uh-huh. They made a point which was proving they could sell their console, thanks to the clever and very agressive marketing campaign, coupled to the lower available price on the market - but still incredibly expensive for what it fundamentaly is - and the fact that we're dealing with a recognizable brand.
Now, to say that this proves everyone wants to play video games... it's a conclusion I would not jump to. It seems to have reached more people, but I'm not very convinced that the audiences have changed that much. And until we get a good look of the profiles of the Wii owners, I think all those glamorous claims we hear all over the internet are to be considered with much precaution.

Does that new kind of owners represent a solid basis, one that is now firmly convinced of spending a noticable amount of money in video games on the long term, for decades?

Even more, the good sales of the Wii, notably in Japan, is largely explained by the utter lack of competition. No one can see the 360 sales rising, and the PS3 sales won't start to kick in until many hits are available, with a machine's price significantly reduced.
The japanese market is an oddity on its own.

NPD sales charts show that the Wii does not even manage to sell twice the amount of the many years old PS2.
When you look at the sales in the rest of the world, the 360 is nearly 5 millions units sold ahead of the Wii. Of course, the 360 also had a one year head start, and the console's monthly sales are below the Wii's everywhere now.

Not surprising either, the Wii's been doing better, in its first sales months, than the 360 (not far from the double), in the US.
But again, the price, and other factors, play a large role in that.
The PS3's and Xbox 360's prices are also higher, and the 360 is a Microsoft machine. This might play against the console, due to the company's image, which often appeared negative over the decades. It may not be a brand affectively associated to gamers, safe possibly in the US.

I'm not here to bash Nintendo. I have no reasons to. But the numbers really need to be put in perspective.
There's also no doubt that the console will finally sell far more units than the higher priced consoles.

In the end, you're still spending at least 240 quids to get a decent Wii package to boot, for what is just a game console, not a multi task, multi purpose and entertainment machine.
That does not sound very casual, when put in contrast with the "real" casual PC and mobile phone stuff.

The Wii sells more. Doesn't mean it's some products are necessarily shaping the whole market in a different way.

However, what also matters is also the games sales, and what kind are working, and how much this could turn novel customers into long term ones for the next years.

Besides, Wii Play and Wii Sports have made good numbers because they were directly associated to the console's sales, as in bundles [http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&product_id=B020070S], packs [http://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-RVLSWCUSZ-Wii/dp/B0009VXBAQ] and special offers [http://www.simplygames.com/info/15033/Nintendo-Wii-Console-Sports-Pack--Wario-Ware-Smooth-Moves--Wii-Remote-Grahics-Pack-WII] (an example for Wario Ware).
In fact, Wii Sports shipped nearly 9.5 million copies worldwide. I guess that's because everyone wants to play Wii Sports.

Didn't Microsoft deliver numbers which showed that in the end, their console was selling much more games than the Wii, notably for games unrelated to packs and bundles?

Once again, what largely drives the Wii right now is principally first party games, which have absolutely nothing to do with the casual market (if there's anything like a true and solid casual market on the Wii), just as much as Resident Evil 4 & Call of Duty. As for the others, yet, how many of those games do sound casual?

Zelda? Mario? ... Metroid?

Let's not either forget that the good sales of certain products are essentially boosted by their "novelty", or more appropriately, the lack of competition in the console's early stages.

The console works better as a social machine, but seems to drive off certain hardcore gamers at the moment.
Keeping them means putting as much efforts on the harcore branch as ever, with products for them.
Which will just emphasize the actual situation even more: the Wii lives because the various degrees of classical gamers support it, and it will not get better in the future. The "casual" market will grow a few more numbers, but will be nothing more than sugar coating. A coating that may be thicker than on other consoles, but coating nonetheless.

Ian Dorsch

Jul 11, 2006
Actually... [http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7224&Itemid=2]

MS needs to clarify whether it's 11.6 million 360 consoles sold or shipped, but either way the Wii may not be on top quite yet. If it's not the case now, though, it probably will be next month.

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
If any demonstration needed to be made, let's look at the results of a hit coming to a console which, thus far, was lagging behind in the DS-PSP competition:

PSP sales rocket in Japan [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=28886].

Andrew Armstrong

Aug 21, 2007
I really hoped that The Escapist might, possibly, not use "next-gen" ever in a news article. I had a little too much faith it seems since these consoles are now "current" gen, and nothing about them is "next" in any way shape or form! sigh ;)

Nice news though, I am sure the market coverage of the Wii is, like the DS, one reason why it is popular.

Sep 18, 2007
The Wii is also netting Nintendo a bigger profit per sale than the 360 or ps3 are for their respective companies ;) I wish I could find the link to back up my statement, unfortunately my searchfoo is weak tonight :(