115: Art is Resistance

Richard Perrin

Jun 13, 2007
Art is Resistance

"The story is a call to action for the players. The sites and leaked tracks are material sent back in time by the resistance as a warning. The players found it inspirational. At concerts, fans wear homemade resistance-branded T-shirts, but that's just the tip of the iceberg."

Richard Perrin dissects the Nine Inch Nails Alternate Reality Game, Year Zero.

Read Full Article

Arbre

Jan 13, 2007
So the one who was late joining the Bush bashing bandwagon, decided to turn the tables and actually go far beyond the border where most actually lie.
More a science fiction imbued work than a cold hard political diatribe? I don't know.
As a big fan of his past records, I was not particularily drawn into the Year Zero stuff.
I saw it as a side distraction to the latest less inspired album he made.
The line between art and marketing is really thin here, but at least he shows that he's still doing something that is in touch with the young web-compliant generation.

J.theYellow

Jun 1, 2007
Um, Year Zero is not "still running." After the OpenSourceResistance impromptu show got "raided" by cops, there was a message circulated that the resistance cell needed to "go dark for a while." That was the third week of May, and nothing's been released since (other than the existence of "halo 25," a remix of YZ.) Though Reznor said it would be going for a year and a half, the previous arc of the YZ ARG only lasted four months.

http://www.ninwiki.com/ for more.