Left Behind Games Threatens Sites That Don't Like Left Behind Games

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Left Behind Games Threatens Sites That Don't Like Left Behind Games

Left Behind: Eternal Forces [http://www.leftbehindgames.com/index.html], has issued threatening letters to blogs and websites that have criticized the company's real-time strategy game.

According to a report on Public Theologian [http://gamepolitics.com/2007/10/05/left-behind-games-gets-apocalyptic-with-bloggers/]have received the letter, which insists the sites remove "false and misleading" comments or face legal repercussions. Daily Kos claims that at least one blogger has removed Eternal Forces-related content in order to dodge the threat, but many others have chosen instead to make the intimidation tactic public.

The letter [http://flickr.com/photos/justinbaeder/1470235285/], issued by the law offices of Gordon D. Katz, says that while Left Behind Games "generally supports free speech in the media," it will not tolerate the spread of false information that may cause harm to the company. "Left Behind Games Inc. is demanding that you immediately remove any and all information contained on your site about the above stated game that is false and/or misleading, including any such statements or commentary and the responses thereto," the letter says. "This includes posted comments made by others in the context of reading the incorrect or misleading statements."

"If you do not comply immediately, the company will be forced to pursue additional legal action which will include claims for damages, costs of suit and attorney's fees," it continues. "This may subject you and your organization to significant legal and financial damages."

Oddly, the letter does not specify what "false and misleading" information the company wishes removed. It does, however, invite recipients of the letter to call the lawyer's Administrator, Troy Lyndon [http://www.leftbehindgames.com/pages/management.htm], which also makes her the client.

Released in 2006, Left Behind: Eternal Forces has faced criticism both from Christian groups, who decried the game's intolerance and "convert or die" philosophy, and from game reviewers, the majority of whom slapped the game with average-to-poor reviews over its technical issues (most of which have since been patched) and mediocre gameplay.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
And people say fundamentalists are irrational. I hate to accuse people who obviously are far more well versed in the scripture than I am with ignoring central tenets, etc., but I was raised Southern Baptist, and I seem to recall something about "tolerance" being fairly important in the teachings of Christ. Oddly, the actual practice of Christianity rarely incorporates this nuance.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
I'd like to know what exactly it is they find so false and misleading. There seems to be a reasonable consensus that the game was offensive and/or shitty, so what exactly do they want people to say (or not say, as the case may be) about it?

Patriarch917

Oct 5, 2007
"I'd like to know what exactly it is they find so false and misleading."

I remember the first time I head about the game. It was on a blog (perhaps the one that took down the Eternal Forces-related content in order to dodge the threat) that had taken screenshots of the game and photoshopped them to add blood and gore. Later, the blog author was called on the photoshop job, and gave a half-hearted attempt to justify it by saying that the actual screenshots didn't depict the offensive nature of the game well enough.

What he really meant, of course, was that the screenshots did not depict the nature of the game offensively enough.

I would not be surprised if this was the target of the letter. The screenshots were false and misleading in exactly the sort of way that would hurt sales.

I'm not defending the merits of the game, mind you, but I also don't defend false accusations. There are plenty of truthful ways to criticize the game.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Egads. First the game is based upon a series of books that are only enjoyable to the most vile and hate-filled Christians who think anyone that disagrees with them should suffer the most horrible of fates, and then they go so far as to demand this sort of thing. Even if it's in the case Patriarch917 noted, that's unreasonable. Part of the Internet is parody and false information. You can't expect people to portray your game precisely as you want it.

I just can't stand this company.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Was the shopping an intentional effort to deceive, or was it a "stick Jack's head on Master Chief's body" kind of thing?

LisaB1138

Oct 5, 2007
It's their failure to clarify what they consider to be false or misleading that's the problem. I mean, if someone is just saying the AI is crap, the controls are tankish, etc., those are matters of opinion and cannot be considered false. Obvious satire or parody as well cannot be considered false or misleading.

But the blanket threat with no clarification can only be called an attempt to intimidate sites into doing what some have already done---remove the content entirely.

Thurston

Nov 1, 2007
So, having God on your side isn't enough? You need lawyers too?

Edit: Some people need to learn that the exercise of free speech includes folks that don't agree with you.

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
Thurston said:
Some people need to learn that the exercise of free speech includes folks that don't agree with you.
Ah, that's the whole debacle isn't it? Free speech is invented so they can talk freely and then don't like it when people talk freely against them. It's quite funny really.

I have an unhealthy habit of exercising my right to free speech, and I get punished for it too. Where's the justice?!

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
So is the game good at all? Is this like one of those religious game sites, can someone explain Left Behind for me??? (Until now I have never heard of them)

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
You can't make this shit up. This is a very nice representation, I think, of the game, the books it is based on, and the kind of people that produce content like this.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
generic gamer said:
Patriarch917 said:
I remember the first time I head about the game. It was on a blog (perhaps the one that took down the Eternal Forces-related content in order to dodge the threat) that had taken screenshots of the game and photoshopped them to add blood and gore. Later, the blog author was called on the photoshop job, and gave a half-hearted attempt to justify it by saying that the actual screenshots didn't depict the offensive nature of the game well enough.

What he really meant, of course, was that the screenshots did not depict the nature of the game offensively enough.

I would not be surprised if this was the target of the letter. The screenshots were false and misleading in exactly the sort of way that would hurt sales.
Oh, ok...that's actually quite reasonable in that case. i don't think it can be a serious attempt to stifle criticism of the game, if Rockstar can't shut down the media then what hope do this company have?
What I want to know is what was this woman thinking? She is/was playing a very dangerous game, and risking disbarment, for... wait for it... conflict of interests, she's representing her client, and herself.

daemon37

Oct 14, 2009
Rutskarn said:
Do you guys realize this thread is three years old? Just askin'.
Internet stupidity is often forgotten... but never completely lost.

For example, perhaps some day in the distant future, amidst a post-apocalyptic backdrop, someone will rediscover the glory and slendor that is Keyboard Cat... and there will be much rejoicing. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=keyboard+cat

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
I think we've finally found something more ridiculous than companies putting pressure on reviewers to give their games good reviews. I do understand the doctored screenshots incident, that's well within their right to complain, but beyond that the game really is terrible and pretty reprehensible.

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
And people say fundamentalists are irrational. I hate to accuse people who obviously are far more well versed in the scripture than I am with ignoring central tenets, etc., but I was raised Southern Baptist, and I seem to recall something about "tolerance" being fairly important in the teachings of Christ. Oddly, the actual practice of Christianity rarely incorporates this nuance.
Ditto. Except the Southern Baptist thing. Presbyterian.

Havn't been back to church in years. Still feel deeply spiritual, can't stand the BS. Me and Jesus hang out at home. We drink brews.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Hopeless Bastard said:
Rutskarn said:
Do you guys realize this thread is three years old? Just askin'.
I'd say roughly 70% of the people on the site now exclusively browse the "latest posts" tab.
Plus it probably came up in related content to the Wal-Mart/Left Behind thing.

...also I really have a problem with not checking the dates on these posts.