Conan Demo Released

CorvusE

Sep 13, 2006
Conan Demo Released

THQ has released Conan in to the wild. While the North American release of Conan: The Videogame [http://www.conanthevideogame.com/] isn't until October 23, Xbox 360 owners can download the free demo via the Live Marketplace today.

Timed to coincide with the 75th anniversary of Robert E. Howard's first published Conan story, Conan gives players control of Conan the Barbarian's 100-plus fighting moves, as he dominates his opponents with a variety of weapons and hand-to-hand combat. THQ promises that the combat is "deep" and "strategic," with three fighting styles, the ability to use nearly anything from the environment as a weapon and varied enemy tactics.

ccesarano

Oct 3, 2007
Here was my not so professional impression from another forum of the Conan demo after playing The Simpsons demo:

"As for Conan, that was a VERY short demo. The opening of the demo reveals that some graphics and textures look good, and others look poor as Hell. Then you notice that Conan's voice actor sucks, and might possibly be Kevin Sorbo...which would explain the sucking. Claudia Black is nice for whoever that Warrior Queen is, but God damn is it annoying to hear Conan try and talk smack on people when the actor is horrible. They should've just gotten Arnold to do it again.

There is no camera control, which takes quite a bit getting used to. In the end, the camera is pulled back far enough that you get to see all that you need to. The combat has a typical combo system built up of things like "X, XX, XXX, XXXX, XXXXX, XXY, Jump + X, Jump +XX, etc.", meaning you'll just randomly button mash and pull **** off. Gladly enough, they pull in enemies that constantly block, causing you to think up some strategy to kick their ass.

Conan turned out to be a more satisfying experience, overall, since I got to do precisely what I expected: slice shit up and watch limbs fall off. Not the easiest to control game, but decent enough. I already had it on my GameFly list, but if I didn't I'd be plugging it there.

If only they just had a better voice actor for Conan..."

Just to get some conversation going...maybe...

Ian Dorsch

Jul 11, 2006
I think I heard that they got Ron Perlman to do the voice of Conan for this game. I'm currently reading all the old R. E. Howard Conan stories and Perlman's Conan seems to jive just fine with the original, at least in my mind.