NVIDIA releases powerful bargain card

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
NVIDIA releases powerful bargain card

Nvidia has all but rendered its existing high-end lineup of video cards obsolete with the unusual introduction of a new low-cost, high-performance part seemingly timed to roughly coincide with the release of Crysis.

Almost a year after Nvidia first introduced its DirectX 10-capable 8800 series of video cards, a slew of high-profile games that actually utilize the new protocol is due to hit shelves in weeks.

Some of the titles, such as Crysis, World in Conflict and Unreal Tournament 3 require hefty systems to perform well at high settings, and Nvidia's pricing on its 8800 series has not budged in six months.

To address the absence of a viable mid-range part, the company last week released the 8800 GT, a move that confused many gamers and analysts not only for its naming convention but its reportedly remarkable price to performance ratio.

The new card is based on the G92 chipset - earlier 8800 series are based on the G80 - and sports a shrunken die, integrated decoding and less power and heat consumption. Perhaps because there are no revolutionary changes from the G80, however, the card did not receive a 9800 series designation.

More important, though, has been its performance as revealed on several hardware websites: at $250, the part bests the $350 to $400 8800 GTS in most scenarios and even vies with the $500 8800 GTX at resolutions up to 1900 x 1200.

The card was hard-launched on Monday and was available at most major online retailers for $230 to $300, sometimes packaged with Enemy Territory - though it is now on backorder at some sites. Nvidia has said it should nestle into a $200 to $250 price range for the 512 MB version of the card.

Hardware reviewers at sites such as Techreport.com, Anandtech.com and Firingsquad.com pronounced themselves taken aback at the introduction of a video card that rendered Nvi's own existing lineup virtually redundant.

While speculation has abounded that the 8800 GT is a precursor to a full launch of revised higher-end G92-based parts, no hard information has been released to that effect.

However, ATI, which flunked out for most of this past year with its 2900 line, is due to unveil its own new graphics card in two weeks.

Source: Firingsquad.com [http://techreport.com/articles.x/13479]

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
CORRECTION: I bought my 8800GTS for somewhere around $250. This is no enormous leap. It's good, yes, but it's no "graphical revolution"

korosora

Sep 11, 2007
"The new card is based on the G92 chipset... the part bests the $350 to $400 8800 GTS in most scenarios and even vies with the $500 8800 GTX at resolutions up to 1900 x 1200."

I'd say it's the thing I've been waiting for. An awesome deal. (remember the 7600 GT? good times.)

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Ok so its got a new architecture...whats the pipes whats the clock and mem speeds?

will it out do a real 400$ card?
http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=640-P2-N825-AR

The answer is maybe, looking at the specs it seems these cards are built to a higher spec.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.50759

Now i can see some things working better on the cards that have better ramm or more ramm, but still these new cards seem nice.

Junaid Alam

Apr 10, 2007
Uh, so how is that a "correction?" I did say it was $200 to $250. I also never described it anywhere as a "graphical revolution?"

In fact the only place I used the term was here:

"Perhaps because ***there are no revolutionary changes from the G80***, however, the card did not receive a 9800 series designation."

The card features higher core, memory speeds and more shader units than the 8800 GTS, 112 versus 96. The slight decrease in RAM means the performance advantages narrows as the AA/AF and resolution is turned up. It's still as fast or faster than the GTS virtually across the board up to 19x12.

It now looks like a G92-based GTS will be released in mid-December, though. It will come in 512MB or 1024MB flavors and will have 128 shader units. Personally I doubt it will be a better deal than the 8800 GT because I am betting it will be priced at $350 for maybe 10% better performance.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Junaid Alam said:
Uh, so how is that a "correction?" I did say it was $200 to $250. I also never described it anywhere as a "graphical revolution?"

In fact the only place I used the term was here:

"Perhaps because ***there are no revolutionary changes from the G80***, however, the card did not receive a 9800 series designation."

The card features higher core, memory speeds and more shader units than the 8800 GTS, 112 versus 96. The slight decrease in RAM means the performance advantages narrows as the AA/AF and resolution is turned up. It's still as fast or faster than the GTS virtually across the board up to 19x12.

It now looks like a G92-based GTS will be released in mid-December, though. It will come in 512MB or 1024MB flavors and will have 128 shader units. Personally I doubt it will be a better deal than the 8800 GT because I am betting it will be priced at $350 for maybe 10% better performance.
I have a new evga GTS I is not happy...good thing I have not opened it but I did take the proof of purchase off ><

512 is enough for medium level graphics and some AA, frankly if you don't have the screen for it high end grpx are a waste.

Can't find the new GT cards under 260 tho, I wish both Niv and ATI would focus on cheap (180-230$) powerful mid range cards more than low or high end stuff.