Sony Launching Low-Priced PlayStation 2 in 2008

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Sony Launching Low-Priced PlayStation 2 in 2008

PlayStation 2 [http://www.sony.com]in the new year.

The system, set to hit the market in early 2008, is expected to retail for $99 in North America. The reduced price will come largely as the result of the system's built-in power supply, which will allow Sony to manufacture the unit more cheaply. The current "slim" PlayStation 2 model requires an external power supply, resulting in higher production costs.

The news follows reports of a new PlayStation 3 model [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/78080] for North America and Europe, which is also being sold at a reduced price. Among other changes in the design, the new PlayStation 3 will not include backwards compatibility with PlayStation 2 games, a decision expected to help keep the PlayStation 2 viable as a separate platform.

The console, which celebrated the seventh anniversary of its North American release in late October, has sold over 120 million units worldwide since launch. In an interview with Sony Computer Entertainment of America [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/28704/PS2-celebrates-seventh-birthday-with-120-million-sales] Vice President Peter Dille said, "PS2 is a perfect example of our ten year product life-cycle promise and is a testament to the design and technology that continues to be at the core of the product. We're very excited for its future."

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Rigs83 said:
Proof that game play tops graphics.
Emails your comment to 2007:

To: Rigs83
Re:New Ps2

Yeah it does I cannot wait to see what 2008 and 2009 hold for us how about Glowing Puppies and games where Stalin fights Martians!

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Wow! A blast from the past!

Since this news the PS2 got at least 2 new price cuts!(I think....or is it just one?)

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
I can't believe it took 2 years for people to comment on this. I thought the PS2 was $99 again? (The slim one anyways).

Ajna

Doublethinker
Mar 19, 2009
megapenguinx said:
I can't believe it took 2 years for people to comment on this. I thought the PS2 was $99 again? (The slim one anyways).
It is, but 99 dollars now is less than 99 dollars then...

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Wow you win the thread necro award. Ha PS2, we at Target recently discontinued them....

Ghost

Spoony old Bard
Feb 13, 2009
i've had 2 and they both broke

:mad:

btw nice to see some grave robbing about here, livens it up to get the occasional blast from the past, and comment on old news lol

Daye.04

Proud Escaperino
Feb 9, 2009
SICK0_ZER0 said:
btw nice to see some grave robbing about here, livens it up to get the occasional blast from the past, and comment on old news lol
Sure it's good that people use the search button. But news from a couple years ago? There's not even anything more to say! =P

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Hmmm. Well, at least the necromancer in this case was trying to give the thread some love, as it seems no one else commented on it before.

Oh well! At least now you can get a PS2 for really cheap prices. It was the KING of it's time...

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I actually bought a PS2 game today. Grandia 2. Tracked it down at last...

Long live the best RPG console ever!

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
I was going to say something like "Wow, they're cutting the price again? Who doesn't already have a PS2 these days?" But then saw that the thread is ancient.